not able to receive SMS using my Australian SIM overseas

Occasional Visitor

not able to receive SMS using my Australian SIM overseas

by DMD1 Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 3 (654 Views)

Can someone please help?

I am currently living in Senegal, west-Africa and need to receive an SMS code from my bank, sent to my Australian mobile number.  However, messages generated by the bank do not make it when I  use my Vodophone SIM card here.

I had no problems doing this in France for the last year. To do banking, I would just take out my French SIM, insert my Australian Vodophone one and get the necessary SMS code from Australia.

Howeer, this is not working in Senegal. I have wi-fi connectivity and credit on my Vodaphone SIM.

Any ideas please?

David

Grand Champion

Re: not able to receive SMS using my Australian SIM overseas

by Grand Champion Grand Champion
Message 2 of 3 (634 Views)

Hi @DMD1

There's only Voice and TXT available in Senegal . To receive a TXT make sure you're connected to the local network and have roaming active. From where you've posted I assume you have an iPhone? Try switching off your iMessages and turning on normal SMS so you can receive your TXT messages. 

You can have a look at the list of roaming countries here.

If you do not have an active connection then roaming might either be off or try resetting your network settings.

Cheers.

Highlighted
Help and Support

Re: not able to receive SMS using my Australian SIM overseas

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 3 of 3 (621 Views)

Hi @DMD1

DMD1 wrote:

Any ideas please?

We're keen to make sure you get the right answers, and your access to roaming services in Senegal will depend on the type of service that you have.

Is your number a prepaid service or on a plan? 

If you're on prepaid, we don't have TXT and data agreements in Senegal, so you'll only be able to make and receive calls while roaming there.

If you're on a billed plan, then you should have call and TXT access, but no data. 

If you are on a plan, then we'll need to grab a few more details to work out why you're not able to receive those messages. Can you please let us know what kind of phone you're using, where you are in Senegal and what network your phone is saying you're connected to? 

Stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 15w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors
Announcements
Doughnut avatars are now available. Visit your profile to choose one
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?