changing network options

Regular Poster
Accepted Solution

changing network options

[ Edited ]
by Regular Poster
Message 1 of 7 (3,035 Views)

It this this iOS changes, or does  Vofdaone keep updating the setting for "cellular" .. Now its changed to "Mobile" in settings, and there is no longer an "option" for 4G or to or setting,

The only option is "mobile data" which is not really spefic enough....  Even though i see 4G symbol on status bar of phone, it it no longer listed..

Is this a constant carrier update Vodafone magaes or is it pue Apple? Runnng iOS 9.3.2

IMG_0001.PNGIMG_0002.PNG

Highlighted
Grand Champion

Re: changing network options

by Grand Champion Grand Champion
Message 2 of 7 (3,011 Views)

Hi @TECH198

These are changes made by Apple. From what I've read in Apple communities this change occurs when you choose your language between English(US) > Cellular Data ; English (UK) > Mobile Data 

Now to your problem have you checked under Mobile data options ? You should see all other options under there. 

Cheers.

Regular Poster

by Regular Poster
Message 3 of 7 (2,990 Views)

ok Thanks... I wondered why that happened...  When iset my mobile to "Australia" as the language, the options change to "mobile" .. looks like Apple didactes evreything even the language..

In any case the revelent optios still are listed... see the second screenshot above... That's all i see. No selection

Regular Poster

[ Edited ]
by Regular Poster
Message 4 of 7 (2,965 Views)

Found on Apple comunities:

"That's up to your carrier. Most carriers are starting the process of eliminating older networks. They don't want you using the older networks so they eliminate that from the carrier settings. "4G", in the US, at least, meant HSPA+, which was only 4G because the standard got re-written. LTE is what you should be seeing most of the time."

This must be an intril with Vodafone, because my phone automatically still goes to 3G.

Help and Support

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 5 of 7 (2,920 Views)

Hi @TECH198

TECH198 wrote:

This must be an intril with Vodafone, because my phone automatically still goes to 3G.

Your phone will pick up 4G as a priority and where 4G isn't available, it'll pick up 3G automatically. That just means you'll have a seamelss network experience as you move into areas that may not have 4G. 

If you want to move between the network modes, you should be able to do this by following the steps here. We've included steps for iPhone 6 Plus, but should be the same for all iPhone models using iOS 9. 

It's great you've been able to find out why the menu changed. Australian and UK english generally uses the word "mobile" rather than "cellular" which is why that change is in place. Thanks @Cyrille13 for helping track down that info.

Regular Poster

[ Edited ]
by Regular Poster
Message 6 of 7 (2,872 Views)

Thanks.. but i was wondering weather the options to select 3G or 4G is missed because...

I know i used to be able to select 3G or 4G manually from here. but now all i see is the one as indicated in the link.

Apple just told me this is related to mobile carrier change..... Is this true? eg depreating older networks.

Retired Staff

by Retired Staff Retired Staff
Message 7 of 7 (2,849 Views)

TECH198 wrote:

Apple just told me this is related to mobile carrier change..... Is this true? eg depreating older networks.

I wouldn't say their answer is entirely how we'd put things @TECH198, but the theme is right.

You might have seen that recently we migrated our 850mhz network from 3G to 4G. What you wouldn't have seen are the messages we sent to people who had 4G disabled in those areas.

Disabling the higher network capability of your device may result in an unexpected loss of coverage when travelling from area to area. For the best experience customers should allow their device and our network to make the decisions on when to change network types or frequency.

You can trust us to look after you Smiley Happy

Tim

Stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 47w ago
  • 4 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors
Announcements
Doughnut avatars are now available. Visit your profile to choose one
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?