IPhone 6s wrongly blacklisted

Seasoned Member

IPhone 6s wrongly blacklisted

by Conm Seasoned Member
Message 1 of 6 (1,037 Views)

I went on a 24 month plan with Vodafone 2 months ago. Since yesterday my iPhone 6S Plus has been displaying SOS only. I did not know what this meant so I reset my phone, pulled the SIM card out, reinserted it, checked my settings and was at a loss. I phoned Vodafone this morning and was told my phone had been blacklisted. I was shocked. It had been reported as lost or stolen yesterday. This is a complete and terrible error. Vodafone shipped me the iPhone. I have the proof of purchase, the iPhone and the box.

I took my iPhone, proof of purchase, and the box to my local Vodafone shop and waited there for about an hour as the sales representative tried to work out what to do. I was told to go home and wait until Vodafone contact me as they need to investigate how this has occurred. Meanwhile my iPhone won't connect to the phone network at all. I can't receive messages from my children. I pay Vodafone about $90/mth. I've been very inconvenienced a week before Christmas and I am very upset.

I have several questions:

How could a phone that has been shipped directly to a client from Vodafone, which is NOT lost or stolen be wrongly blacklisted?

Why didn't Vodafone check with me whether not my phone was lost or stolen prior to blacklisting my phone?

Where are the safeguards for innocent consumers?

How long will I have to wait to have this problem resolved?

Can a blocked or blacklisted iPhone rejoin the phone network easily?

Do I need to try to get out of this contract because Vodafone is capable of blacklisting someone's iPhone without warning.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Help and Support

Re: IPhone 6s wrongly blacklisted

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 2 of 6 (959 Views)

Hey @Conm,

Conm wrote:

How could a phone that has been shipped directly to a client from Vodafone, which is NOT lost or stolen be wrongly blacklisted?

We want to help you get this sorted out.

All carriers have access to block IMEI number and there are rules around how we handle requests for the blocking IMEI numbers. 

If there has been a mistake made, we'll always help you get it sorted out as quickly as we can. As we'll need to look at you account to see what is happening, we've sent you a private message with our contact details. You can check your messages here

Seasoned Member

by Conm Seasoned Member
Message 3 of 6 (944 Views)

Imagine the shock of having your phone switched off to all networks out of the blue, late on a Friday afternoon. I needed to use maps to navigate when I realised I had no access.

Right now I would like to think Vodafone have been investigating how a phone which is not stolen or lost could be blacklisted. I reported the problem on Saturday morning and visited a store in my area to prove the phone was mine, had been sent from Vodafone and that the serial numbers all matched. Luckily I kept the proof of purchase document. This document was scanned and forwarded to Vodafone on Saturday morning and I've heard nothing since.

i have sent all the information to Vodafone and heard nothing for two days. I contacted Vodafone through their support site, visited a store, phoned and now I'm sharing information about this situation online in the hope that Vodafone will, after two days, finally apologise and fix this mess.

I have been told by Vodafone just to wait while they investigate everything. I've not been apologised to, or told how long it might take. I find the whole situation completely annoying and it certainly indicates that Vodafone's business practices are less than professional.

I've spoken with support staff at Apple and the fault lies with Vodafone.

Meanwhile, as I don't have another phone I can drop the SIM card into I'm left without a mobile phone.

How could Vodafone blacklist a phone that is not stolen or lost then not communicate effectively with that customer about the situation over a two day period. I don't care that it is weekend. This situation is totally unacceptable.

Help and Support

Message 4 of 6 (912 Views)

Conm wrote: i have sent all the information to Vodafone and heard nothing for two days. I contacted Vodafone through their support site, visited a store, phoned and now I'm sharing information about this situation online in the hope that Vodafone will, after two days, finally apologise and fix this mess.

Being stuck without a phone is far from ideal and I'm sorry it's taken longer than expected to have this sorted. Once we've got access to your account we'll be able to see when and why your phone was blocked, have it resolved and make sure some feedback is passed onto the right people. 

I've checked out our inbox and I can see that your email reached us safely yesterday afternoon. Thanks for sending that through @Conm, we'll get back to you there as soon as we can. 

Seasoned Member

by Conm Seasoned Member
Message 5 of 6 (898 Views)

Vodafone has unblocked the phone finally. I was offered a $15 credit for all my trouble which only insulted me further. No explanation has been provided as to why Vodafone blacklisted the wrong iPhone. I lodged a complaint. In my opinion I should have received an apology via email and a honest and genuine explanation. I would have appreciated some respect rather than a token gesture.

Help and Support

Message 6 of 6 (865 Views)

Conm wrote:

Vodafone has unblocked the phone finally.

I'm glad the phone is unblocked @Conm, thank you for letting us know. I'm really sorry for the trouble this has caused, I know being without my phone for most of the week would be terrible. We've got your email and we'll jump in and check what went wrong ASAP, as well as pass on feedback to the right person about your experience.

We'll keep you posted in email, as we can't chat about your specific information here on the Community.

Stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 27w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors
Announcements
Doughnut avatars are now available. Visit your profile to choose one
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?