Reclaiming old number after it was return to Vodafone

Visitor

Reclaiming old number after it was return to Vodafone

by lexiluise Visitor
Message 1 of 6 (173 Views)

I moved abroad in 2014 and was last contracted to Telstra using my number of 14 years. I just contacted them to find out whether my number was still available to reclaim, however they told me after quarantine it had been sent back to my original provider, which is Vodafone.

My number was tied to a contract whilst I was with Vodafone, and from what I can tell from calling the number it is still disconnected (ie no new customer has taken it) - however the support team over the phone tell me there is no possible way I can get that number back, even if no one new has taken it. My question is how that is possible, given that it could still be given to another customer at any point (so why not me) and is there someone who can help me investigate this properly? I'm worried as this number is tied into so many factors of my life back in Aus and it would be so difficult to switch now. 

Hoping someone can help! TIA!

Help and Support

Re: Reclaiming old number after it was return to Vodafone

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 2 of 6 (152 Views)

Hi @lexiluise

lexiluise wrote:

My question is how that is possible, given that it could still be given to another customer at any point (so why not me) and is there someone who can help me investigate this properly?

We understand why you're keen to get your old number back, especially if it's one that you've had for a long time. 

When a number is disconnected, it's placed into mandatory quarantine so that it can't be allocated to a new connection for a minimum of 6 months. At the end of the quarantine period, that number is then returned to the carrier that it was originally connected to (in this case, us). There's a more detailed explanation of quarantine over here.

If the number is no longer is quarantine and is not currently connected in anyone else's name, that's a good place to start and the right process from there, will depend on what you want to do.

If you want to connect the number again on a monthly billed plan with us, all you need to do is give our sales team a call and make sure you request that specific number when they're doing the connection order. 

If you want to connect the number as a prepaid device, that's a little different. You'd need to grab a prepaid starter pack (which already has a phone number connected to it), activate the pack with its allocated number and then give us a call and ask to change the number over to the one that you want.

Depending on what your old number is, there may also be a fee to choose that specific number. There's some more detailed information about that over here.

Let us know what you're looking to do and if you have any other questions that we can help with in the meantime.

Visitor

[ Edited ]
by lexiluise Visitor
Message 3 of 6 (139 Views)

Thank you! This is much clearer now and much more promising 

I suppose my next question is how can I confirm 100% that the number is not in use by another customer? As I mentioned when I asked someone to call the number it said it was disconnected, but obviously this isn't a guarantee.. I can do my best to try and recall the old PIN for the phone, but failing that is there a way someone can check on the number status for me?

I would be interested in starting a new plan with Vodafone if the number is still free and can be transferred back

Thanks again!

Help and Support

Message 4 of 6 (124 Views)

lexiluise wrote:

Thank you! This is much clearer now and much more promising. I would be interested in starting a new plan with Vodafone if the number is still free and can be transferred back

We'd love to get this number back to you if we can! As @Bruno mentioned above, all you need to do is give our sales team a call (1300 650 410) and make sure you request that specific number when they're doing the connection order. They'll then be able to let you know whether or not it is still available! 

Thanks

Bree. 

Highlighted
Visitor

by lexiluise Visitor
Message 5 of 6 (101 Views)

Thank you for further clarification Bree.  I'm wondering if it's possible to find out whether my number is still available before I agree to sign into a contract? Surely they will be able to look it up prior to me locking in? 

Thanks again

Help and Support

Message 6 of 6 (76 Views)

lexiluise wrote:

Surely they will be able to look it up prior to me locking in?

We sure can @lexiluise.  Whichever way you decide, just let us know before hand and we can have a look for you.  If you decide to head in store, store locations can be found here.

Stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors
Announcements
Doughnut avatars are now available. Visit your profile to choose one
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?