$10 Automatic Charge for extra 1GB of data

Occasional Visitor

$10 Automatic Charge for extra 1GB of data

by angelikav Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 60 (11,254 Views)
For the past few months, everytime ive consumed all my data vodafone automatically charges me $10 for 1GB without having the option to agree or refuse this add-on. As a customer, we should have to option to have this added to our plan or not. Other vodafone customers don't get this $10 add-on but why do I? Vodafone only lets me know when i have used 85% percent of data but the next notification is when i've finished all this (usually when they have added the extra charge). I refuse to pay for $10 every month for every 1GB of extra data. We should all have an option to accept or refuse this offer.
Champion

Re: $10 Automatic Charge for extra 1GB of data

by Champion Champion
Message 2 of 60 (11,232 Views)

@angelikav

Prevously excess data was charged at a rate of 10c/MB, which would cost $100/GB overall. Having $10/GB is something that major providers in the industry have recently (and not so recently) switched to so that overuse charges are significantly reduced. I think having $10/GB is a far better option than the previous $100/GB

ALmost all postpaid plans from providers have some kind of charge when you go over your data limit, if you wan't a plan that doesn't do this, then prepaid (which runs on a different billing system) is the way to go.

Out of interest, what kind of phone do you have? If it's an Android phone with Ice Cream Sandwitch (4.0) or above, you can have it automatically cut off your data at a set limit.

We can also help work out ways to reduce your data usage, have you checked what apps are consuming all your data?

Regards,

Alan

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan, a.k.a Zeealpal. I do *not* work for Vodafone!
Occasional Visitor

by angelikav Occasional Visitor
Message 3 of 60 (11,210 Views)
I get that there is a charge when you go over but us customers should have the right to refuse this add-on. An incident happened last month, when vodafone added another $10, 2 hours before my data recharges.

I own an iphone 5s.

Kind regards
Grand Champion

by Grand Champion Grand Champion
Message 4 of 60 (11,199 Views)

Hi @angelikav,

Which phone are you using?

As mentioned, if you have a newer Android phone, you can set to automatically cut off data usage at a limit you set yourself. From there, you can make the decision to turn it back on and pay $10, or leave it off until you start the next billing cycle.

If you have an iPhone, then you don't get this rather useful tool. There are data monitoring apps available for iPhones that will give you warnings at data usage levels, but you can't get data to turn off automatically.

Cheers,

Balsam

Help and Support

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 5 of 60 (11,160 Views)

Hey @angelikav,

angelikav wrote:
I get that there is a charge when you go over but us customers should have the right to refuse this add-on.

@zeealpal and @Balsam are spot on. The $10 boosters that are built into our plans are automatic, so as soon as you reach 100% of your data limit, one will be added. This could be a week into your billing cycle, or the last day.

If it's something you want to avoid, we have a bunch of great ways you can manage your usage which you can check out here. We'll keep you up to date along the way with usage alerts at 50, 85 and 100 percent, however it's important that you're checking in with My Vodafone in between. Especially when you're in between 85 and 100 percent.

On the other hand, if it's happening each month, it might be a good idea to move to a plan that suits your usage better. You can do that at any time, by heading over here.

Occasional Visitor

by Loz702 Occasional Visitor
Message 6 of 60 (6,834 Views)

WE NEED TO TURN THIS OFF, I DONT GET A WARNING UNTIL ITS TOO LATE.. LAST MONTH YOU CHARGED ME $60 EXTRA AND NOW THIS MONTH $20 EXTRA AND I GOT NO WARNING... 

GIVE US THE OPTION TO TURN THIS OFF... ITS ILLEGAL TO KEEP STEALING FROM US LIKE THIS.

Grand Champion

by Grand Champion Grand Champion
Message 7 of 60 (6,825 Views)

@Loz702,

1. It's not illegal as it's in your contract.

2. If you were charged $60 for extra data, you have used at least 5GB over what's included in your plan. This isn't a minor amount, it's  the equivalent of watching 3 - 4 full length movies.

3. If you're not getting warnings at 50%, 80% and 100% of your included data usage, you need to log in to My Vodafone, go to Account Settings > Vodafone Alerts and turn this to "On". You will then get an SMS at each of those points to help you monitor your usage.

Bear in mind these alerts are not in real time, and are also not sent out overnight, so by the time you get the 100% warning, you may have already been given the automatic 1GB add on for $10. 

You should also use the inbuilt data monitor on your phone to assist you in reducing excess data charges. If you're not sure how to do this, post back to let people know which phone you have and someone will be able to help you out. 

Cheers,

Balsam

Help and Support

Message 8 of 60 (6,765 Views)

Hi @Loz702,

Loz702 wrote:

WE NEED TO TURN THIS OFF, I DONT GET A WARNING UNTIL ITS TOO LATE.. LAST MONTH YOU CHARGED ME $60 EXTRA AND NOW THIS MONTH $20 EXTRA AND I GOT NO WARNING..

Just to confirm, are you receiving your usage alerts to notify you once you reach 50%, 85% and 100% of your usage? We explain more how our alerts work over here

Turning off the additional data charges isn't possible because we will charge you if you use over your included data. To avoid the additional data charges, keep a close eye on your usage through MyVodafone and also your device. We've also got a great support page that explains ways to manage your data, check it out over here

Please let us know if you haven't received the alerts and we'll take a look into it. 

Occasional Visitor

by akolamble Occasional Visitor
Message 9 of 60 (6,545 Views)

I don't like the sysemt of automatically charging for exgtra data.

I would like to get the mobile broadband stopped, once it reached the limit. THEN, I would like to have a choice of add-on. Because it is impossible to use DATA up util my data limit without paying extra. I had to stop either 85% or 90% of it. 

Help and Support

Message 10 of 60 (6,494 Views)

Hi @akolamble

akolamble wrote:

I would like to get the mobile broadband stopped, once it reached the limit. THEN, I would like to have a choice of add-on.  

If you are finding you're exceeding your limit every month, finding a more suitable plan may be an option you can take a look at. We do have some hints and tips for saving and monitoring your usage here too, these can really help you keep an eye on usage so you know how much you're spending each month.

While switching off data automatically isn't something we can offer right now, we'll certainly pass on your suggestion to the right people.

Stats
  • 59 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 40 Kudos
  • 14 Contributors
Announcements
Doughnut avatars are now available. Visit your profile to choose one
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?