Where's your order?

Track your order

Enter the tracking number from your order receipt to see its status. Find out more about order tracking & delivery.

Terms and conditions

iPhone 4S SOS Only Reception

Occasional Poster
Juzzie
Accepted Solution

iPhone 4S SOS Only Reception

[ Edited ]
by Occasional Poster
Message 1 of 13 (34,496 Views)

Hi, I Got a iPhone 4S and its been running ok for about the last few months but today it came up with SOS Only and i cant receive texts or make calls because of it. i left it all day today thinking it might just be my phone messing up but it still hasnt changed to 3G. my bill came out yesterday but i made sure i had the right amount in it.

If it helps i live in Melbournes Inner suburbs

Please use plain text.
Problem Solver
Peter

Re: iPhone 4S SOS Only Reception

[ Edited ]
by Problem Solver
Message 2 of 13 (34,370 Views)

It seems to be a common complaint with iPhones.  iOS5 has copped blame for 'SOS only' problems. 

Try these:

-  sync your phone with iTunes

-  make sure iOS is up to date (latest version 5.1 released March 7, 2012)

-  give resetting the network settings a go.  Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Juzzie

[ Edited ]
by Occasional Poster
Message 3 of 13 (34,351 Views)

Does it matter what computer i sync my iphone with because all the music is on my sisters Laptop, also the update was the first thing i checked but its up too date, never thought of the reset settings, trying now.

EDIT: Nope, Tried all 3 of them and still having SOS Only, im starting to think i might have a faulty sim card

Please use plain text.
Problem Solver
Peter

[ Edited ]
by Problem Solver
Message 4 of 13 (34,339 Views)

Juzzie wrote:

Does it matter what computer i sync my iphone with because all the music is on my sisters Laptop, also the update was the first thing i checked but its up too date, never thought of the reset settings, trying now.

EDIT: Nope, Tried all 3 of them and still having SOS Only, im starting to think i might have a faulty sim card

Hi - first, it's OK to sync the iphone with your sister's laptop - just plug it in and check for updates. Actually, the best plan is to sync, backup then restore your phone, which will download the latest updates. 

Your SOS Only Reception problem has also been widely discussed on Whirlpool, Optus and Telstra forums.   On Twitter, a Telstra staffer said the problem was a hardware incompatibility between the smartphones and Telstra's network upgrades.

Some users have successfully complained and had their iPhones replaced.  That seems a bit extreme.  Apple's iOS updates have apparently helped.  I don't think a sim replacement would make any difference.  Let me know how you go.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Juzzie

by Occasional Poster
Message 5 of 13 (34,323 Views)

I Restored it and it still has SOS Only

Please use plain text.
Problem Solver
Peter

[ Edited ]
by Problem Solver
Message 6 of 13 (34,310 Views)

It's taking a lot of your time trying to sort this out. 

You could arrange a sim swap through a Vodafone shop, it's free and should take half an hour or so. It doesn't necessarily mean the sim is faulty - as there have been similar problems - no sim, or emergency calls only - caused by the iphone's plastic sim tray.  Is this your problem?  http://wooservers.com/20100710/fixing-iphone-4g-no-sim-installed-problem/

How about organising warranty service, or a handset replacement?  What's the point having a phone if it doesn't work or isn't reliable but you're still paying for.

Warranty

Apple® mobile phone and 24 month iPad2 plan purchases sold from 21/02/2011 will be supported by the Vodafone Repair Warranty.   http://www.vodafone.com.au/personal/service-and-repair/the-service-centre/warranty-faq/

Book in for a service
http://www.vodafone.com.au/personal/service-and-repair/the-service-centre/book-in-for-a-service/inde...

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Juzzie

[ Edited ]
by Occasional Poster
Message 7 of 13 (34,305 Views)

Since its not my fault that this is happening would i have to pay for anything?

The sim cards not the problem its the reception, no matter what i do it says No service then changes to SOS Only and ive had the iPhone for just about a month before it started doing it, at first i thought it was vodafone cutting it off because my bill hadnt gone through but when i checked my bank it had come out

Please use plain text.
Problem Solver
Peter

[ Edited ]
by Problem Solver
Message 8 of 13 (34,300 Views)

No, it sounds like an iphone hardware fault.  Phones can make an emergency call without a sim card, so it looks like your phone's not reading the sim in the handset.

Regarding repairs - read the warranty conditions in the link I gave, then if your case complies with those, book it in for service by the online form.  I'm not sure of the assessment process if you take it to a Vodafone shop.  Otherwise, one of the forum reps here will see this and help sort it out.

For background, read some of the entries from this forum thread on Apple's site.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2435414?start=45&tstart=0

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Juzzie

by Occasional Poster
Message 9 of 13 (34,291 Views)

Alright Thank You, I dont have my Proof of Purchase though, is there anyway Vodafone can e-mail me one?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Juzzie

by Occasional Poster
Message 10 of 13 (34,290 Views)

My Sim cards faulty, i just tried my friends sim in my phone, comes up with Vodafone AU, tried my sim in her phone came up with SOS only

Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors
Announcements
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?