Cannot send outgoing email using my 3rd party email server with iphone 6

Accepted Solution

Cannot send outgoing email using my 3rd party email server with iphone 6

[ Edited ]
by pete88 Member
Message 1 of 5 (3,219 Views)

Hi, I have an iphone 6, running the latest ios 9.2.1, i am setting up a 3rd party email (IMAP) account on the phone.  I can receive messages fine but when i try and send messages it cannot connect to the outgoing server.  I have gone through all the online guides and suggestions but with no luck.   My outgoing email server has SSL authentication, its set to port 25 and authentication is set to Username / Password.   I have setup the exact same account on another iphone 6 that runs on the Optus network and it works perfectly without issue.   Can you please help.

Help and Support

Re: Cannot send outgoing email using my 3rd party email server with iphone 6

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 2 of 5 (3,187 Views)

Hey @pete88

pete88 wrote:

Hi, I have an iphone 6, running the latest ios 9.2.1, i am setting up a 3rd party email (IMAP) account on the phone. 

Just to make sure we've covered all our bases have you tried running through the link here to get the IMAP set up? If you haven't, please give it a try and should you face any issues please let us know!

Thank you

by pete88 Member
Message 3 of 5 (3,181 Views)

yes i have tried all of these, however i dont want to setup my outgoing server with smtp.vodafone.net.au settings as i will have to switch wifi off everytime i am in a wifi zone!   I would just like to use my 3rd party outgoing email server that has SSL authentication.

Highlighted
Community Manager

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 4 of 5 (3,163 Views)

pete88 wrote:

yes i have tried all of these, however i dont want to setup my outgoing server with smtp.vodafone.net.au settings as i will have to switch wifi off everytime i am in a wifi zone! 

We completely understand it's not suitable for everyone @pete88, we've just updated our support article with a critical piece of information. You'll need to connect to your mail server on another port, 25 remains blocked for external SMTP; even with SSL enabled.

Apologies for the omission.

Thanks

Tim

by pete88 Member
Message 5 of 5 (2,959 Views)

thank you Tim for letting me know, we have changed our port number and that seems to have worked.... just a shame its taken so much effort to find out what the issue was but thanks again.

Stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 48w ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors
Announcements
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?