#challenge930 - join in as our experts put the 930 through it's paces

Vodafone ZTE K3571-Z Tp-Link MR3420 problems

Regular Visitor
Herbernator

Vodafone ZTE K3571-Z Tp-Link MR3420 problems

by Herbernator Regular Visitor
Message 1 of 8 (4,770 Views)

Hi all, first time poster

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck connecting a Vodafone PREPAID ZTE K3571-Z to a Tp-Link MR3420?

I have had this router 3 weeks now and been emailing TP-Link with try this-try that.
I understand that this modem is not on the supported list at TP-Link as of yet.

Here is what has been done.
1) Router Configured – WLAN working well
2) 3g section of the router is configured as follows.
-- Mobile ISP: Vodafone Australia
-- Set the Dial number and the APN Manually. IS TICKED
-- Dial No: *99***1# ----- got from Vodafone Australia tech support. It's different from the Vodafone website.
-- APN: vfprepaymbb ---- got from Vodafone Australia tech support
-- Username: (left blank)
-- Password: (left Blank)

-- Connection Mode: Connect on Demand
-- Authentation Type: Auto

3) With the help from TP-Link, I have made a BIN file with a "USB Sniffer" that 'seems' to work well with the router.
-- when the router is turned on, it now understands that there is a K3571-Z modem, (previously I got nothing) and I get a signal strength.
-- I have been able to connect to the internet 2 times (out of many failures) It is very hit and miss.

4) Now TP-Link want me to Disable the Autorun of the ZTE k3571-Z and also to check the pin verification.
-- Called Vodafone technical support and they say that the autorun CAN NOT be disabled and there is no pin verification.

Questions:
According to many forums on the internet, it is possible to disable the autorun using AT commands in hyperterminal.
Has anyone done it with this particular modem?
Does it void any warranty? (modem is less than 3 months old)
Does it affect what happens in relation to connecting the modem directly to the computer?
(When I am out and about – or using another computer. I still need to use the modem without the router occasionally)

Thanks to all in advance

Herbernator.

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Charlotte

Re: Vodafone ZTE K3571-Z Tp-Link MR3420 problems

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 2 of 8 (4,682 Views)

Herbernator wrote:

Hi all, first time poster

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck connecting a Vodafone PREPAID ZTE K3571-Z to a Tp-Link MR3420?

I have had this router 3 weeks now and been emailing TP-Link with try this-try that.
I understand that this modem is not on the supported list at TP-Link as of yet.

Here is what has been done.
1) Router Configured – WLAN working well
2) 3g section of the router is configured as follows.
-- Mobile ISP: Vodafone Australia
-- Set the Dial number and the APN Manually. IS TICKED
-- Dial No: *99***1# ----- got from Vodafone Australia tech support. It's different from the Vodafone website.
-- APN: vfprepaymbb ---- got from Vodafone Australia tech support
-- Username: (left blank)
-- Password: (left Blank)

-- Connection Mode: Connect on Demand
-- Authentation Type: Auto

3) With the help from TP-Link, I have made a BIN file with a "USB Sniffer" that 'seems' to work well with the router.
-- when the router is turned on, it now understands that there is a K3571-Z modem, (previously I got nothing) and I get a signal strength.
-- I have been able to connect to the internet 2 times (out of many failures) It is very hit and miss.

4) Now TP-Link want me to Disable the Autorun of the ZTE k3571-Z and also to check the pin verification.
-- Called Vodafone technical support and they say that the autorun CAN NOT be disabled and there is no pin verification.

Questions:
According to many forums on the internet, it is possible to disable the autorun using AT commands in hyperterminal.
Has anyone done it with this particular modem?
Does it void any warranty? (modem is less than 3 months old)
Does it affect what happens in relation to connecting the modem directly to the computer?
(When I am out and about – or using another computer. I still need to use the modem without the router occasionally)

Thanks to all in advance

Herbernator.

Hello Herbernator,

I've had a chat about your issue with our Tech guys and they've told me that because your using a third party sharing dock the Tp-Link MR3420 we would recommend speaking to the help and support team of the sharing dock. 

If you plug in your USB straight into your computer do you have any issues connecting to the internet? I can certainly help you if you have any issues when using the Mobile Broadband straight into your computer. Alternatively we do also offer a pocket wifi device and also our own sharing dock which you can have a look at here

Please let me know how your service is when not using the Tp-Link MR3420.

Thank you,

Charlotte

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
Herbernator

Message 3 of 8 (4,676 Views)

Hi Charlotte,

First of all, thanks for replying to the message.

As first stated, I have been in constant contact with TP-Link (the manufacturer of the router) Aprox 2-3 emails a day for about 3 weeks.

Their final suggestion was that I disable the autorun.

All the information I was after was, that if I do this command (info got from ZTE website) Will the warranty be void?

As of yet I have not touched any configuration to do with the Vodafone modem.

The reason I did not go with the Vodafone router option is I simply didn't know about it. A quick glance though would suggest that there are no RJ-45 ports on the back of the router which is what I need as well (for TV's, and  Old computers, NAS)

As for the Modem connected to the computer via USB is is rather hit and miss. The first month it was great!  Sometimes Vodafone connect screen will come up, other times nothing happens. When I am able to connect, the speed is sufficient, although not fast. Usually a computer re-boot will fix the problems.

Kind regards,

Herbernator

Please use plain text.
Problem Solver
Peter

[ Edited ]
by Problem Solver
Message 4 of 8 (4,672 Views)

Hi Herb - I've been following your posts with interest as I've also got a TP-Link MR3420 router.

However, you'll be pleasantly surprised to learn that the R101 sharing dock DOES have an RJ-series LAN connector.  No problems with your Vodafone usb modem, no problems with your PC connection.  The dock works very well and is surprisingly sophisticated with the latest firmware. Vodafone was giving them to customers at one stage but they retail for under $50 I think.

http://blog.vodafone.com.au/blog/r101-sharing-dock-update-now-available/

RJ45 connector on R101 dock

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
Herbernator

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 8 (4,642 Views)

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info, although I should have been clearer, I need at least 4 RJ-45 lan ports. (wired conection for NAS, Old computer, PVR etc.etc.)

If if cannot get my new router working then I'll have a look at the Vodafone router.

Would you know if disabling the Vodafone usb stick autorun will void any warranties?

Herbernator.

Please use plain text.
Problem Solver
Peter

by Problem Solver
Message 6 of 8 (4,620 Views)

Hi - I think you can control your ZTE modem with these AT commands. As the effects are reversible, I can't see a warranty problem.  A neat trick is using the freebie program from DC-Unlocker to enter AT commands to disable/re-enable the auto-run of your ZTE modem. It's all explained in the links below.   NB  I haven't tried this at home...

Type in AT+ZCDRUN=8 which will disable the auto CD run feature on the dongle. If you would like to re-enable it at any time just type in AT+ZCDRUN=9.

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/8318-manual-for-huawei-3g-users/page__st__80

http://3g-modem.wetpaint.com/thread/3718416/How+to+execute+AT-commands+under+Windows

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
Herbernator

Message 7 of 8 (4,612 Views)

Thanks Peter, I'll give it a go as soon as i'm near the pooter.

Herbernator

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
Herbernator

Message 8 of 8 (4,594 Views)

Back again,
Tried your above suggestions,
1st off i used Putty to "talk to the modem" using AT commands
I went into "Device Manager" to see what com port the modem was using.
There are 3 under "Ports (COM&LPT)
-- Vodafone Mobile Broadband Audio Port (ZTE) COM16
-- Vodafone Mobile Broadband Diagnostics Port (ZTE) COM19
-- Vodafone Mobile Broadband Secondary Port (ZTE) COM15
There is one under Modems - Vodafone Mobile Broadband (ZTE) under properties/modem - COM18

Tried talking to the modem with Putty and got nowhere.
Used the recommended BPS=115200, 8=Data Bits, 1=Stop Bits, Parity=None, Flow Control=None.
Closed the Vodafone connection manager down,
Tried at command ATI and ATI1 on COM15,COM16,COM18,COM19 and the modem would not speak.

Thought maybe this doesn't work on a Win7 64bit machine, so I tried an old XP machine and it also didn't work (using different COM ports of course).

I then downloaded downloaded and installed DC-Unlocker

- By the way I'm VERY VERY happy with Vodafone, I do not want to unlock.
When I double-click on the icon, nothing happened. Uninstalled DC-Unlocker and re-installed, same thing.

So I'm completely stuck.

Herbernator.

Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 3 Contributors
Announcements
What's happening with Windows Phone? These guys will let you know...