Unable to connect to websites from UK

Frequent Visitor
suzy_c79

Unable to connect to websites from UK

by suzy_c79 Frequent Visitor
Message 1 of 6 (2,152 Views)

I have a pocket wifi Huawei E585 & since getting it I have been unable to connect to any UK websites.

As I have family in the UK & want to send Christmas presents from UK sites, this is a problem!

I have been through previous posts & tried to change the security settings through the wifi, but this just meant I could not connect to the internet at all!

Some advice re this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Problem Solver
Peter

Re: Unable to connect to websites from UK

[ Edited ]
by Problem Solver
Message 2 of 6 (2,047 Views)

Hi Suzy

A number of Pocket Wifi users have had problems accessing certain websites.  There was a solution posted by M7D which has fixed things for some people.   He changed the APN from vfinternet.au (contract), or vfprepaymbb (prepaid), to live.vodafone.com

Read more here:

Re: Pocket wifi cant connect to any google servers? Market, youtbe, Gmail not working over wifi...
on 11-09-2011 01:02 PM

http://community.vodafone.com.au/t5/Mobile-Broadband/Pocket-wifi-cant-connect-to-any-google-servers-...

Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
suzy_c79

Message 3 of 6 (2,033 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried the advice given, but ended up not being able to connect to the internet at all.

My contract is with 3, however they seem to have been taken over by Vodafone & all the help & advice sections direct me to Vodafone.

Will this make a difference to what I should do?????

Please use plain text.
Problem Solver
Peter

[ Edited ]
by Problem Solver
Message 4 of 6 (2,031 Views)

suzy_c79 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried the advice given, but ended up not being able to connect to the internet at all.

My contract is with 3, however they seem to have been taken over by Vodafone & all the help & advice sections direct me to Vodafone.

Will this make a difference to what I should do?????

Hi Suzy, sorry to hear that.  Did you get your modem from 3 or Vodafone?  And you're using a Vodafone SIM?  If you're comfortable checking a few things via the Pocket Wifi management page, you can probably fix the problems.  Open up a new browser window and type this into the address field:  192.168.1.1 then hit 'enter'.  The default password is 'admin'.

Try that and see how you go.  More to follow if you're interested.  Here's a manual for the Pocket Wifi to download and read.

Another thing to try is unlocking the Pocket Wifi via the vodafone.com.au/unlock page. Whirlpool forum posts mentioned problems when using prepaid Vodafone SIM cards in the Pocket Wifi, although 3 prepaid and Vodafone contract SIMS worked OK.

Shaun Branden (WHIRLPOOL):  Just letting you know that @vodafoneau_help finally sorted out my issue by unlocking it FOR FREE.  So if you are having issues with pre-paid VF sim and e585 have a chat to them on twitter.

Now it is awesome     

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1504315&p=16#r320

Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
suzy_c79

Message 5 of 6 (2,002 Views)

Hi Peter,

The modem is on a contract from 3 & I am using a 3 simcard.

I went into 192.168.1.1, but I'm unsure what I should do next in there...

I tried to unlock the modem, however there is a fee of $25 attached to unlocking.

I am really confused as to what I should do!

Please use plain text.
Problem Solver
Peter

[ Edited ]
by Problem Solver
Message 6 of 6 (1,994 Views)

Hi Suzy

Thanks for the extra details.  Could you try this method, posted by Caitlin (Vodafone rep) a month or two ago? She suggested disabling, then restoring, the wifi security on the Pocket modem.  Sounds odd, but it's marked as solving the problem.

http://community.vodafone.com.au/vfaus/board/message?board.id=mobileinternet&message.id=2760#M2760

Re: Pocket Wifi setting not allowing Explorer to access SOME websites

If you can temporarily change your security settings to open and load of the pages. If this works change the security settings back to a secure network and re load the page, is it still working?. If this does not change your security settings back to a secure network and let me know and I will help you further to find a solution.

Please note, it is important to change your security settings back to a secure network that requires a password to access your connection. If you leave your connection open, anyone will be able to access and use your data and Vodafone will not be held liable for any charges or data used.

You are able to change the settings by:

• Opening a browser
    Typing pocket.wifi OR 192.168.1.1 in the url 
    Login (default password Admin unless changed by you previously)
    Advanced settings
    WiFi settings
    WiFi advanced settings
    Change Authentication to Open   (please take note of the Authentication and Encrytion already set as you will need to know which settings to choose when changing back to a secure network)
    Change Encryption to none     
    Restart computer/laptop and Pocket WiFi
    Reconnect

We do want to disable wifi during a test. It should only take a few minutes to disable, test and then re enable wifi security. Troubleshooting involves multiple steps to identify the cause of an issue and to eliminate anything that is not directly involved.

Our instructions specifically point out to re enable the secure setting on the Pocket Wifi after testing to ensure the connection remains encrypted.

I hope this helps. I noticed you've posted your question on Whirlpool too - good idea.   Cheers - Peter

Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors
Announcements
GALAXY S5 - Live blog tonight