Problem With Pocket WIFI 2 Modem... (Problem with Vodafone AGAIN)

Occasional Poster
Marc

Problem With Pocket WIFI 2 Modem... (Problem with Vodafone AGAIN)

by Occasional Poster
Message 1 of 27 (3,026 Views)

So, I got the Vodafone Pocket WIFI today... It connects to my Laptop that runs Windows 7 but won't connect with my laptop that runs Windows Vista. I called Vodafone and the representative told me that perhaps my Vista OS isn't compatable with the Modem (Wow would have been great to know before we went in with all this) and that I should change the settings in the Modem. I was all for it until he told me that if I change said settings, my Windows 7 Laptop wouldn't be able to work as a result. This is yet another way that Vodafone has screwed me and I'm getting tired of it. Does anyone have a way around this, maybe something I'm not looking at that can help me run both Laptops... It really shouldn't be that hard but it is...

Please use plain text.
Problem Solver
Peter

Re: Problem With Pocket WIFI 2 Modem... (Problem with Vodafone AGAIN)

[ Edited ]
by Problem Solver
Message 2 of 27 (2,941 Views)

That sounds odd -the specs online say the modem's compatible with XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac & Linux.  I assume they mean the drivers installed from the pseudo cd-rom in the device are compatible with those systems.  I've installed it on Vista and XP laptops without a problem.

Installing drivers is only an issue if you want to connect the modem to a pc by USB cable.  If you use wi-fi, it'll connect to any system that supports a browser.

Check your laptop TCP/IP settings - 'obtain an IP address automatically' is usually the best choice.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Marc

by Occasional Poster
Message 3 of 27 (2,937 Views)

^ Thanks for the advice but I don't really know how to do any of that stuff. All I was told is that my Laptop won't connect to the Pocket WIFI modem beacuse it runs a Vista operating system... The only adivce I got was to go into the Pocket WIFI program and change some settings, but that was useless to me because if I did that The Windows 7 Laptop wouldn't work. All that happens is the laptop picks up the modem wirelessly... Then I try to connect and it asks for the passcode... After entering the passcode it immediatly says Windows cannot connect to the network. Why Vodafone Why... Why me!

Please use plain text.
Problem Solver
Peter

[ Edited ]
by Problem Solver
Message 4 of 27 (2,934 Views)

It's requesting a wi-fi security password.  Each modem's got a unique password that's printed on a sticker inside the pocket wifi.  Take the back off and you'll see it.  Copy the password then enter it when the laptop detects the wifi.  You'll only need to do it once.  Give it a try. 

How to find or rest the password on a Pocket Wifi

http://support.vodafone.com.au/articles/FAQ/How-to-reset-your-Pocket-WiFi-password

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Marc

by Occasional Poster
Message 5 of 27 (2,930 Views)

I did that with my 1st Laptop... The Windows 7 one. The windows 7 laptop is connected successfully to the pocket WI-FI. Yet I still have the exact same problem with the Vista Laptop...

Please use plain text.
Problem Solver
Peter

[ Edited ]
by Problem Solver
Message 6 of 27 (2,928 Views)

I feel we're closing in ...

Check your TCP/IP settings on the Windows 7 laptop with this guide from Microsoft.  They should be set to 'Obtain DNS server address automatically'.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-TCP-IP-settings

Does your Win 7 computer connect to other wifi networks?  What else could it be?  Incorrect wi-fi channel settings?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Marc

by Occasional Poster
Message 7 of 27 (2,927 Views)

Um, was a little unsure of that but I'm pretty sure I got it and you were right, the settings on the Windows 7 Laptop were as you said... Unfortunatly the W7 Laptop is working fine with the pocket WIFI and it's still the Vista one thats the problem...I could change the TCP/IP settings on the Vista but not sure how...

Thanks for helping by the way/

Please use plain text.
Problem Solver
Peter

[ Edited ]
by Problem Solver
Message 8 of 27 (2,923 Views)

Good, happy to help.  My mistake earlier, I mixed up the two systems - anyway, here's the Vista run-through, except no pictures in this one:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-TCP-IP-settings

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Marc

by Occasional Poster
Message 9 of 27 (2,920 Views)

Too complicated and I doubt that would fix the problem anyway. I might just call Vodafone back up tomorrow, talk to abdul and try and get him to solve it for me again, maybe they've given me the wrong troubleshooting, i don't see why both laptops cant run off the same modem even if one is Vista. If they can't solve my problem I guess I'll just get out of the plan and get my money back or might even contact that ACCC that the kids are talking about these days. I knew I shouldn't have trusted vodafone a second time but sometimes we just don't learn...

Please use plain text.
Problem Solver
Peter

[ Edited ]
by Problem Solver
Message 10 of 27 (2,918 Views)

Sorry if it seems complicated - it's not, really.   Those modems can accommodate five wifi & a simultaneous USB connection to PCs or phones, or iPods, or ...

I reckon it's the laptop settings that are causing strife, it's unrelated to the operating systems, and this time at least, Vodafone is innocent.

Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 2 Contributors
Announcements
What's happening with Windows Phone? These guys will let you know...