Nexus S Nightmare

Occasional Poster
Ticcer

Re: Nexus S Nightmare

[ Edited ]
by Occasional Poster
Message 11 of 21 (2,261 Views)

Ok. I rebooted my sim (turn off phone, pull battery, pull sim, hang five, reassemble, turn on)

Now the nexus s is paired but not connected with the eclipse avn726ea in-car system. Nor will it connect unless I re-pair the two devices every time I want to connect (search for devices via in-car system, select nexus s, enter pin via nexus s)

Before I did the sim reboot, it would auto-connect... Or at least it was doing that this morning.

In the settings on the nexus s for the paired eclipse device, it doesn't matter whether I have 'use for phone audio' checked or not. When the two are connected, neither option yields hands-free phone success. I do have the 'use for media audio' checked because without that on, it won't connect at all.

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Gemma

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 12 of 21 (2,240 Views)

Ticcer wrote:

Gemma,

No I did not try bluetooth previous to installing the OTA update and doing the factory resets.   Why do you ask????

I can now connect to other bluetooth phones, but ONLY if I use the other device to initiate the pairing & connection.

I can now pair and connect to the in-car bluetooth system (Eclipse in-dash system in 2011 Subaru Liberty).   However, the fast forward (FF) and rewind (RW) control does not function, although the 'next track' and 'previous track' function DOES work.  The steering wheel switch is the same switch for all 4 functions...  FF & RW functions should kick in after a long hold of the switch, either up or down, but they don't work with the Nexus S when playing music.

Also, although the phone and car are paired AND connected, the PHONE does not work with the in-car hands free system.  So if I'm listening to music while driving and the phone rings...  it does not ring through the in-car system....  only on the phone...  if I answer it, I have to use the Nexus S just like I do when I'm not in the car...   Pointless and currently illegal!

I have tried with the 'car home' app and without.  Neither modes allow me to use the hands free phone via bluetooth.

Previously I had a Nokia E63.   THAT device was just too easy!   Everything worked how it should apart from the odd signal lag here and there.  Pair, connect, have hands-free phone with voice dialing, and in-car music controlled via the steering wheel.  NO PROBLEMS.

So far, the Nexus S has been nothing but a nightmare...  if it's not one thing, it's another thing...  NOT WORKING!   I don't want to set up my e-mail on it and get busy with life yet, either.  Why would I waste all that time setting everything up if the device doesn't work or do what I need it to?  This is very frustrating and a complete waste of my valuable time and effort!

I'm not an idiot.  I've had a computer of some description since I was 7...  I'm now 40.  I've sold them retail and wholesale, I've fixed them, installed them, tweaked them, and used them for most of my life, so please...  if you have a list of questions for me and/or a list of possible solutions, please just give me the list, rather than 1 question & answer a day.  At this rate, it'll take months to solve anything.

Cheers

Hi Ticcer, 

Determining how long an issue has been occurring for and if you were able to use a handset function previously are two of our essential troubleshooting steps. This information helps us when endeavouring to isolate the cause of your issue. 

We provide a 24 month free repair warranty on all devices, from the issues you have outlined above I would recommend 

visiting your closest retail store with your Proof of Purchase, so that the handset can be assessed for repair. You can visit our Store Locator to find your nearest Vodafone store.

Thanks, 
Gemma 

Help and Support

"Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world."

Community Guidelines  Troubleshooting Guide

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Ticcer

by Occasional Poster
Message 13 of 21 (2,231 Views)

I want my Nokia and pre-pay account back!

This is Ridiculous!

After having a good look around the google forums and a lot of other forums on the internet, it appears I am not the only one experiencing these issues with Bluetooth and WiFi...  there are lots of people out there with the same issues.

WiFi signal on the phone is very bad; there is very little or no signal when more than 1 meter away from the wireless router.  It really is quite amazing to see sweet F.A. signal until I practically stand on top of the router.   I have computers sitting 10 meters away in other rooms that always get 'excellent' wireless signal 99% of the time!

Bluetooth will not always pair to car, PDA, other mobile phones or other computers properly or successfully.  Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not.  When it does pair successfully, the phone says, "Paired but not connected" and will only connect at random and infrequently, if at all.  Mostly it doesn't.  Ridiculous!

Messing around, frustratingly, for half an hour every time I want to use Bluetooth to connect to another device is a very painful waste of my time.  It seems some kind of esoteric magic is at play here, because every time, the correct magical sequence that actually gets the thing connected changes.  Last time it was, turning the phone on and off, rebooting my SIM card, re-pairing and de-pairing and re-re-pairing and re-de-pairing devices, entering passcodes 4 times, then BINGO!  The time before that, it was a completely different sequence of events that yeilded success!  Tomorrow it will be different again!  I don't have the time for this crud! Ridiculous!

So, Bluetooth & WiFi don't work properly, but given that so many other people experience the exact same issues I am, leads me to believe it is not 'broke', it's just how it is on this particular handset, with the particular hardware inside, therefore cannot be fixed, unless Samsung redesign the thing!   ...  Or perhaps it's the Android OS?? (Pure conjecture, I know)

THE BOTTOM LINE

#1. The Nexus S does not work as advertised, or as it should. It does not do the BASIC things I need it to do with the equipment I have, and despite reading just about every review in existence on it before purchase, there is no way of testing it until one actually commits and buys it!

#2. The Nexus S does not connect to my cars' Bluetooth hands free system (It's a brand phone failing to connect to a brand new car, FFS!), and 90% of the time fails to connect the in-car Bluetooth audio system.  Ridiculous!

#3. Without a CONSIDERABLE WASTE OF MY TIME & EFFORT EVERY DAY, the Nexus S fails connect to my computers or my partners HTC Legend phone. Ridiculous!

#4. WiFi has such poor signal strength and doesn't even stay connected even inside a McDonalds with free WiFi or in the same room as my SAMSUNG wireless router. Ridiculous!

#5. LOTS OF OTHER PEOPLE HAVE THE SAME ISSUES, so either Samsung needs to do a product recall, or the product is a spectacular piece of rubbish!   I'm going with the latter on this point!

#6. I've only had this thing for 7 days.  So far, it's cost me the full time equivalent of 2.2 days trying to solve connection issues, SMS sending issues, and the other issues described here... AND IT STILL DOESN'T WORK PROPERLY!  It shouldn't be this difficult...  My Nokia certainly wasn't.  Ridiculous!

SO!  SERIOUSLY!  How do I return the handset, cancel the post paid account, return to my pre-pay account, and use my number on my simple, old, BUT WORKING Nokia E63 with minimal downtime?

Thanks.

Ticcer

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Jess

Message 14 of 21 (2,218 Views)

Ticcer wrote:

I want my Nokia and pre-pay account back!

This is Ridiculous!

After having a good look around the google forums and a lot of other forums on the internet, it appears I am not the only one experiencing these issues with Bluetooth and WiFi...  there are lots of people out there with the same issues.

WiFi signal on the phone is very bad; there is very little or no signal when more than 1 meter away from the wireless router.  It really is quite amazing to see sweet F.A. signal until I practically stand on top of the router.   I have computers sitting 10 meters away in other rooms that always get 'excellent' wireless signal 99% of the time!

Bluetooth will not always pair to car, PDA, other mobile phones or other computers properly or successfully.  Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not.  When it does pair successfully, the phone says, "Paired but not connected" and will only connect at random and infrequently, if at all.  Mostly it doesn't.  Ridiculous!

Messing around, frustratingly, for half an hour every time I want to use Bluetooth to connect to another device is a very painful waste of my time.  It seems some kind of esoteric magic is at play here, because every time, the correct magical sequence that actually gets the thing connected changes.  Last time it was, turning the phone on and off, rebooting my SIM card, re-pairing and de-pairing and re-re-pairing and re-de-pairing devices, entering passcodes 4 times, then BINGO!  The time before that, it was a completely different sequence of events that yeilded success!  Tomorrow it will be different again!  I don't have the time for this crud! Ridiculous!

So, Bluetooth & WiFi don't work properly, but given that so many other people experience the exact same issues I am, leads me to believe it is not 'broke', it's just how it is on this particular handset, with the particular hardware inside, therefore cannot be fixed, unless Samsung redesign the thing!   ...  Or perhaps it's the Android OS?? (Pure conjecture, I know)

THE BOTTOM LINE

#1. The Nexus S does not work as advertised, or as it should. It does not do the BASIC things I need it to do with the equipment I have, and despite reading just about every review in existence on it before purchase, there is no way of testing it until one actually commits and buys it!

#2. The Nexus S does not connect to my cars' Bluetooth hands free system (It's a brand phone failing to connect to a brand new car, FFS!), and 90% of the time fails to connect the in-car Bluetooth audio system.  Ridiculous!

#3. Without a CONSIDERABLE WASTE OF MY TIME & EFFORT EVERY DAY, the Nexus S fails connect to my computers or my partners HTC Legend phone. Ridiculous!

#4. WiFi has such poor signal strength and doesn't even stay connected even inside a McDonalds with free WiFi or in the same room as my SAMSUNG wireless router. Ridiculous!

#5. LOTS OF OTHER PEOPLE HAVE THE SAME ISSUES, so either Samsung needs to do a product recall, or the product is a spectacular piece of rubbish!   I'm going with the latter on this point!

#6. I've only had this thing for 7 days.  So far, it's cost me the full time equivalent of 2.2 days trying to solve connection issues, SMS sending issues, and the other issues described here... AND IT STILL DOESN'T WORK PROPERLY!  It shouldn't be this difficult...  My Nokia certainly wasn't.  Ridiculous!

SO!  SERIOUSLY!  How do I return the handset, cancel the post paid account, return to my pre-pay account, and use my number on my simple, old, BUT WORKING Nokia E63 with minimal downtime?

Thanks.

Ticcer

Hi Ticcer, 

In order to discuss further options we do require you to undertake the standard warranty repair process. 

Once the phone has been sent away for repair we can then verify if this is a unique issue to your device that can be easily rectified. 

Once this has been completed we can then discuss further options with you. 

Jess 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Elle

[ Edited ]
by Elle Occasional Visitor
Message 15 of 21 (2,074 Views)

Hurrah! Thank you Ticcer! Your method 2 works for fixing up the spastic messaging fail! This has been giving me a lot of grief over the past few days on my Nexus S. Hope it stays nice and doesn't have another spatz until my contract finishes (omg another 20 months...).

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
Bart

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 16 of 21 (2,052 Views)

Elle wrote:

Hurrah! Thank you Ticcer! Your method 2 works for fixing up the spastic messaging fail! This has been giving me a lot of grief over the past few days on my Nexus S. Hope it stays nice and doesn't have another spatz until my contract finishes (omg another 20 months...).

Hi Elle,

Thanks for letting us know (thanks to Ticcer!), if you've got any further queries, please post and we'll be able to help out.

Thanks, Bart.

Community Manager
Please use plain text.
CP
Occasional Visitor
CP

by CP Occasional Visitor
Message 17 of 21 (1,961 Views)

Yep just got a brand new nexus s first new phone in a while (sony k800 was last!) after being cynical of all the new 'smart'phones which generally just suck and guess what... can't use sms. I've tried every single troubleshoot option I can find and no dice, tried calling 2 local stores today and neither picked up. Any chance on a replacement sim/ phone repair or any other ideas? I've tried the PDU SMSC input already, reset the phone, taken battery out etc etc.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Help and Support
Jen

[ Edited ]
Message 18 of 21 (1,947 Views)

CP wrote:

Yep just got a brand new nexus s first new phone in a while (sony k800 was last!) after being cynical of all the new 'smart'phones which generally just suck and guess what... can't use sms. I've tried every single troubleshoot option I can find and no dice, tried calling 2 local stores today and neither picked up. Any chance on a replacement sim/ phone repair or any other ideas? I've tried the PDU SMSC input already, reset the phone, taken battery out etc etc.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi CP,

Thank you for your post and proactively trying to contact our stores this morning, I am glad you have contacted me on the Vodafone Community as I would love to help.

Thanks for letting me know what troubleshooting steps you have tried previously, I can absolutely offer some other possible solutions.

I can see you have reset your phone, however I would also recommend restoring the phone, this can be done through the desktop software and restores the phones firmware as well.

If this is unsuccessful I when then suggest trying you sim card in another handset. This will help us determine whether your sim card is the issue or not.

If the sim card in another handset does not display the same issues, then the sim card is not the issue. However if the sim card in the other handset does demonstrate the same problems the sim card could be the issue, in which case a Sim Swap is recommended.

You are able to do a free sim swap in your closest local Vodafone store; I have included a link to help you find your local store here. This is by far the quickest and most efficient way to have a sim swap done. However I am also able to help organise a sim swap for you if you would prefer.

If this is again unsuccessful, it may be a good idea to get the store to assess your device and see whether it needs to be sent away for repairs or to be exchanged. To do this you will need your Proof of Purchase when you go into the store.

If you have any further inquiries around this please feel free to reply here.

Thank you again for your time and patience.

Regards,

Jen. 

[Edit: Clarity]

Help and Support
"We are the Knights who say...Ni"

Community Guidelines  Vodafone Coverage Checker

Please use plain text.
CP
Occasional Visitor
CP

by CP Occasional Visitor
Message 19 of 21 (1,930 Views)

Thanks Jen ur a legend :smileyhappy: getting a new sim card fixed the sms problem perfectly, was free and took about 5 mins in the store so anyone having the same troubles don't faff round the net for ages like i did just go into the store and get a new sim as suggested by Jen :smileyhappy:

thanks again

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
MichaelStowers

by MichaelStowers Occasional Visitor
Message 20 of 21 (469 Views)

I have been experiencing this for about a week now. I can access the phone info section but neither number in the SMSC doesn't work. Everything else has been tried, so what's the solution? 

Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 3y ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 10 Contributors
Announcements
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?