Mobile Broadband Connection Issue - North Melbourne, VIC, 3051

Occasional Poster
Blueandwhite
Accepted Solution

Mobile Broadband Connection Issue - North Melbourne, VIC, 3051

[ Edited ]
by Occasional Poster
Message 1 of 387 (5,575 Views)

In recent weeks I just renewed my contract with Vodafone for another 12 months, after 2 years of very good service in my area from my 3G Mobile Broadband connection. I've been using one of the USB modem connections since March 2009 with no real issues, and used it in many locations in Australia (as i travel frequently for work). About 2 weeks ago when i renewed, I received a Pocketwifi Modem. I also noticed that often in my area now the connection is HSPA as opposed to just 3G.

You would think all of this would be an improvement....  however.. 

- The Pocketwifi device works beautifully when attached to both of my laptops when using them in other suburbs where the connection is still 3G (not HSPA)

- The USB modem device also beautifully when attached to both of my laptops when using them in other suburbs where the connection is still 3G (not HSPA). 

- Both modems will connect easily, and work for approximately 60-120 seconds - then the connection drops out. This only occurs when it is connected to HSPA. When it is connected to just 3G, no drop out occurs. 

- If you start a download (i.e. Youtube, iTunes, *****) within the first 60-120 after you connect, the full download will occur. This means that so long as you are constantly downloading something you stay connected. This does not work when simply downloading pages from a website, but something that requires a high transfer rate. As soon as this finishes, the connection will die again requiring a reconnection. 

- It would seem based on my research, that when the network is connected to HSPA and the connection is Idle (i.e. no constant high transfer rate download), the connection will time out once idle for 60-120 seconds and reconnection must occur. This means that using something like facebook chat, windows live, or something that requires a connection without major download cannot be used (as it keeps dropping out).

- I'm having to send this from my work laptop at work, because the connection would 'time-out' during the time spent typing out this email.

Is Vodafone able to look at the scenario above and advise whether the above is a plausible issue?    I've spent a lot of time testing different device types, different sim numbers, and different locations, and the HSPA timing out on idle is the only common theme that seems to occur across the board.

Any feedback would be appreciated.  

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
arbitrary-datum

Re: Mobile Broadband Connection Issue - North Melbourne, VIC, 3051

by Occasional Poster
Message 2 of 387 (5,471 Views)

Same problem with HSPA, modem constantly changing from 3G to HSPA every few seconds, when in HSPA internet wont respond, I've tested it with 3 modems two usb and pocket wifi. Location 3070, very frustrating to say the least.

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Help and Support
Kim

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 3 of 387 (5,429 Views)

Blueandwhite wrote:

In recent weeks I just renewed my contract with Vodafone for another 12 months, after 2 years of very good service in my area from my 3G Mobile Broadband connection. I've been using one of the USB modem connections since March 2009 with no real issues, and used it in many locations in Australia (as i travel frequently for work). About 2 weeks ago when i renewed, I received a Pocketwifi Modem. I also noticed that often in my area now the connection is HSPA as opposed to just 3G.

You would think all of this would be an improvement....  however.. 

- The Pocketwifi device works beautifully when attached to both of my laptops when using them in other suburbs where the connection is still 3G (not HSPA)

- The USB modem device also beautifully when attached to both of my laptops when using them in other suburbs where the connection is still 3G (not HSPA). 

- Both modems will connect easily, and work for approximately 60-120 seconds - then the connection drops out. This only occurs when it is connected to HSPA. When it is connected to just 3G, no drop out occurs. 

- If you start a download (i.e. Youtube, iTunes, RedTube) within the first 60-120 after you connect, the full download will occur. This means that so long as you are constantly downloading something you stay connected. This does not work when simply downloading pages from a website, but something that requires a high transfer rate. As soon as this finishes, the connection will die again requiring a reconnection. 

- It would seem based on my research, that when the network is connected to HSPA and the connection is Idle (i.e. no constant high transfer rate download), the connection will time out once idle for 60-120 seconds and reconnection must occur. This means that using something like facebook chat, windows live, or something that requires a connection without major download cannot be used (as it keeps dropping out).

- I'm having to send this from my work laptop at work, because the connection would 'time-out' during the time spent typing out this email.

Is Vodafone able to look at the scenario above and advise whether the above is a plausible issue?    I've spent a lot of time testing different device types, different sim numbers, and different locations, and the HSPA timing out on idle is the only common theme that seems to occur across the board.

Any feedback would be appreciated.  

Hi Blueandwhite

Thank you for your post and trouble shooting you have completed so far.

Do you notice the same type of issues if you switch your devices to 3G only?

I have noticed that areas around North Melbourne have been scheduled for network upgrades this will ultimately improve your coverage in this area, but in the mean time may be causing a few issues whilst it is being completed.

Looking forward to assisting you further.

Thanks

Kim

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Blueandwhite

by Occasional Poster
Message 4 of 387 (5,423 Views)

I find that even when I check "3G" only it still moves to the HS service as it is supposed to be better. 

If I could find a way not to make the modem switch to HSPA it would be good, because the new network clearly still has some glitches. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Blueandwhite

by Occasional Poster
Message 5 of 387 (5,403 Views)

Also - I ran it on GPRS only last night, and it seemed to work fine. But I think most of the plans only have very limited allowances for GPRS (slower connection) so its not worth using all the time. 

Is there anyway to limit the connection to just "3G Only" and not "HSDPA" ? 

Given the HSDPA does not work correctly, I'm not able to work from home at the moment which is impacting my ability to deliver on my job. I only signed up to Vodafone after 2 years of good service for another 12 months - so where do I go from here? 

I haven't moved house, and the service used to work fine. But I am now in a position where Vodafone cannot service my internet needs. Can my plan be cancelled, reviewed, or something to compensate the need to potentially move to another provider in light of this? 

Please use plain text.
MGE
Occasional Visitor
MGE

by MGE Occasional Visitor
Message 6 of 387 (5,380 Views)

We also have the same problem, in same location (3051). 

Mobile broadband (via wi-fi modem) had basically been working ok for some months, then recently has begun constantly dropping out.  It drops out probably every minute or two.

Not sure why this has started? and what can be done?

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Gemma

Message 7 of 387 (5,366 Views)

Blueandwhite wrote:

Also - I ran it on GPRS only last night, and it seemed to work fine. But I think most of the plans only have very limited allowances for GPRS (slower connection) so its not worth using all the time. 

Is there anyway to limit the connection to just "3G Only" and not "HSDPA" ? 

Given the HSDPA does not work correctly, I'm not able to work from home at the moment which is impacting my ability to deliver on my job. I only signed up to Vodafone after 2 years of good service for another 12 months - so where do I go from here? 

I haven't moved house, and the service used to work fine. But I am now in a position where Vodafone cannot service my internet needs. Can my plan be cancelled, reviewed, or something to compensate the need to potentially move to another provider in light of this? 

Hi Blueandwhite, 

Thanks for taking the time to post the troubleshooting you have completed to date. This is extremely helpful in allowing us to isolate your issue. 

HSPA is a slightly faster 3G connection than just standard 3G. This is why when you select 3G only on your device it will still switch between HSPA and 3G modes. 

As you are able to use the network in other locations and you have eliminated a faulty device during your troubleshooting, I would like to have our Network Team investigate your issue. Can you please email me at online.help@vodafone.com.au with the mobile number for your broadband account, PIN, a link to this discussion and your best contact number and time. Place this 684CGENI in the subject field. 

If GPRS is working fine for you, there is no problem with you using this whilst the investigation is being completed. Any data you use while connected to our 2G network will be deducted from your full plan entitlement. 

Cheers, 
Gemma 

Help and Support

"Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world."

Community Guidelines  Troubleshooting Guide

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Gemma

Message 8 of 387 (5,361 Views)

arbitrary-datum wrote:

Same problem with HSPA, modem constantly changing from 3G to HSPA every few seconds, when in HSPA internet wont respond, I've tested it with 3 modems two usb and pocket wifi. Location 3070, very frustrating to say the least.

Hi arbitrary-datum, 

I'm sorry to hear you are having the same problems. I have checked our coverage map for 3070, and it shows you are in a 3G area. How long have you been experiencing this issue? Are you able to use your device in other locations? What happens when you select 2G only? 

I'm happy to look into this for you. 

Thanks

Gemma 

Help and Support

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Gemma

Message 9 of 387 (5,355 Views)

MGE wrote:

We also have the same problem, in same location (3051). 

Mobile broadband (via wi-fi modem) had basically been working ok for some months, then recently has begun constantly dropping out.  It drops out probably every minute or two.

Not sure why this has started? and what can be done?

Hi MGE, 

I'm happy to look into this for you. 

Can you please let me know what troubleshooting you have completed so far? Troubleshooting is similar for both phones and broadband devices so this will help us isolate what the issue could be. 

Thanks, 
Gemma 

Help and Support

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
arbitrary-datum

by Occasional Poster
Message 10 of 387 (5,339 Views)

Hi Gemma,

GPRS/2G network connection is fine, it's a slow connection as is expected but connectivity and data flow is all good.  UMTS/3G is also fine it's only when it switches to HSPA that data flow is idle.  Again I tested this with differnt modems and on different computers. 

I noticed on Monday night the connection was working almost flawlessy the network wasnt switching between 3G and HSPA  and I had normal mobile broadband connection for that period in the morning however the service  had reverted to same issues again when connected to HSPA.  I've thoroughly tested all settings on various computers and modems there is no mistake in my opinion that my local hardware or modem settings are at fault.  When at another location which I also tested, again it works fine.  Other than the 64k sim being a problem (If I'm not mistaken this is only a memory capcity difference from the 128k sim and should have no bearing on connection or the sims ability to handle data) there is pretty much nothing more I can test or do from my end.

To recap:

-Session IP address remains constant

-3G works fine though only lasts about 30 seconds before switching to HSPA

-HSPA data flow is idle, no online applications are funcitonal ie browers, msn, skype etc

-HSPA mode lasts anywhere up to three minutes before briefly switching back to 3G

-GRPS connection works fine

-Tested on various modems both usb and pocket wifi results all the same

-When modem set to 3G only it still switches to HSPA as HSPA is 3G the distinction should be UTMS and HSPA not 3G

as they are both 3rd generation technologies

-Reception to modems is very strong, at or close to full bars

-Obtained a replacement 64k sim and issues still present

-Other location everything works, problem with 3070 area

-Mobile Broadband service is prepay

Regards

Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 386 Replies
  • 3y ago
  • 25 Kudos
  • 10 Contributors