Internet not working on iPhone 3GS

Visitor
matrix101

Internet not working on iPhone 3GS

by matrix101 Visitor
Message 1 of 5 (1,380 Views)

Okay so I am on a plan with vodafone (I believe it is one of those joint plans with someone else in my family) which is supposed to allow me 1GB of data.

Unfortunately due to some errr accidents I had with my previous phone I had to use one of my old ones (nokia E73) which was perfectly fine in terms of getting coverage and allowing me to use my data. Recently though I have acquired a second hand iPhone from a friend and decided to use this as my phone for the time being. It gets signal perfectly fine and allows me to make/receive calls and send texts but when I try and use the internet it always tells me I have no connection despite displaying the 3G symbol up the top.

I have looked on some forums for a solution but have found nothing. I have restored it back to its factory settings through itunes but that didn't change a thing. I visited the Vodafone store in town today and the bloke there said I might have to download some "settings" or something off the website due to the phone being an old model but I am unsure what this means. Any help on this subject would be appreciated :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Community Enthusiast
Rosendalek

Re: Internet not working on iPhone 3GS

by Community Enthusiast Community Enthusiast
Message 2 of 5 (1,356 Views)
Have you checked to make sure your iPhone has the latest update?
Please use plain text.
Visitor
matrix101

by matrix101 Visitor
Message 3 of 5 (1,346 Views)
i checked and it says it is up to date with IOS 6.1.3
Please use plain text.
Problem Solver
ctsintat

by Problem Solver
Message 4 of 5 (1,335 Views)

Don't know how the settings work in iPhone, but try this first to make sure APN is right, select Apple from make and 3GS iOS6 from model. If it doesn't work, go to a Vodafone store and do a sim swap which should fix it. Otherwise it is a technical issue will need to bring up with the tech team.

**I am not an employee of Vodafone.**
Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Bruno

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 5 of 5 (1,318 Views)

Hi matrix101,

matrix101 wrote:

I have acquired a second hand iPhone from a friend and decided to use this as my phone for the time being. It gets signal perfectly fine and allows me to make/receive calls and send texts but when I try and use the internet it always tells me I have no connection despite displaying the 3G symbol up the top.

If you're seeing good signal on your phone and  are able to use the iPhone for calls and text, then there's only a couple of possible causes for this, so let's take a look at them and get you back up and running.

Your first move, should be to make sure that cellular data is switched on. This will be in the settings menu of your phone under general>cellular>cellular data. 

If cellular data is switched on, then your next move it to quickly run through the setup tool that ctsintat has linked in his post above. This will send the correct network settings to your phone. 

With cellular data switched on and the right network settings on the phone, there should be nothing at all stopping you form using data through your iPhone. 

Keep us posted on how you go with those steps and if there's anything else we can help with in the meantime, please let us know.

Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors
Announcements
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?