Huawei K4511 and 900 mhz regional network

Habitual Poster
terracomm

Huawei K4511 and 900 mhz regional network

by Habitual Poster
Message 1 of 10 (2,901 Views)

Recently, I purchased this device to benefit from the recent equipment upgrade here by Vodafone. I live in regional NSW and therefore access the 900 mhz regional network only. The modem can see EDGE on 900 mhz, BUT can not see 3G on 900 mhz. Signal strength here is as good as you can get. The device has been clean installed on two computers with XP Pro SP3 and Windows 7 SP1. Also, in passing, I have emailed Huawei three times with no reply and last Friday spent + 2 hours waiting on hold listening to their IVR over and over till I gave up in disgust. Every Huawei modem I have had has never worked properly. Use Sierra Wireless or ZTE and have no problems.  

Any suggestions from the community ??

Problem Solver
Peter

Re: Huawei K4511 and 900 mhz regional network

[ Edited ]
by Problem Solver
Message 2 of 10 (2,833 Views)

Hi

The K4511 is listed as Vodafone's current Mega Modem and performs pretty well. You should definitely be getting better results.  Huawei has a good reputation, probably better than ZTE.

What's your postcode?  Are there 900 MHz problems in your area?  And I know what you mean about the Huawei site - it's difficult to find anything useful.  Have you tried the K4511 in a Vodafone R101 Sharing Dock, or one of the commercial 3G routers from D-Link or TP-Link (eg MR3420)?

Yet another alternative is the hot little Pocket Wifi 2, which covers 850/900/2100 MHz.

Vodafone has unveiled another surf stick, the K4511, with speeds of up to 28.8 Mbit / s in downlink via HSPA + . It was introduced by Huawei in April 2011.

COVERAGE: UMTS / HSPA + on 850/900/1900/2100 MHz - speed up to 28.8 Mbit / s in the downlink and up to 5.76 Mbit / s uplink (and wildly optimistic this year, I'd say).

Habitual Poster
terracomm

by Habitual Poster
Message 3 of 10 (2,825 Views)

In answer to your question, there are no problems with the 900 mhz regional network here. I am currently logged into it (with a ZTE modem) and all is well. Postcode: 2580. The modem (K4511) seems to perform well on EDGE, but will not or can not see the 3G 900 mhz network. I have used the CP software released with the modem and also tried the latest CP software from the Vodafone website. As to Huawei, what can I say.

Habitual Poster
terracomm

[ Edited ]
by Habitual Poster
Message 4 of 10 (2,823 Views)

The R101 sharing dock. I do have one of these units. Only purchased it on Friday. Have updated the software and I have tried it with the K4511 with same result.

Problem Solver
Peter

[ Edited ]
by Problem Solver
Message 5 of 10 (2,820 Views)

By CP, do you mean the Vodafone connection manager, eg VMB?   What are the network options in the connection software?  There's normally a choice of 3G only, 3G preferred, etc. 

What's the signal strength like?  Android devices, iPhones, the Pocket Wifi 2, and some connection software displays the RSSI value.  Can you check that, keeping in mind you seem to be stuck on EDGE?  If the ZTE modem (which model?) is connected to Vodafone's 3G 900 MHz signal, what's that like?

Postcode 2580 covers a big area - it's hard to pin down on the coverage map, as there are a dozen towns. The 900 MHz coverage seems to vary a lot. 

Re Huawei, I've used half a dozen different Huawei modems and haven't had any problems with them. Statistics say there'll be occasional duds, perhaps I've been lucky.

Habitual Poster
terracomm

by Habitual Poster
Message 6 of 10 (2,808 Views)

As you stated, 3G only, 3G preferred, etc.

CP = VMB

If you select 3G only, modem sees nothing. No green or blue or cyan LED indication at all. In the VMB software there is no indication as to network at all.

If you select 3G preferred you get a green LED indication of the modem seeing EDGE.

I suspect that it is a software problem with the modem. Maybe I am wrong. Perhaps it might have something to do with the modem being optimised for the 850 mhz network.

If I had the time I would drive to Canberra with a laptop and see what the modem does as they have the 850 mhz network overlay in Canberra. It would not surprise me in the least if the device worked on 2100 and 850 mhz.

Habitual Poster
terracomm

by Habitual Poster
Message 7 of 10 (2,805 Views)

2580....Goulburn.

If I turn around in my chair, I am looking at the Vodafone tower on Mt Gray. We are about the same height here. As the crow flies about 1.3 kms point to point. Signal strength is as good as you can get it.

ZTE 3571Z and it is connected to the 900 mhz regional network. That is all we have here.

Problem Solver
Peter

[ Edited ]
by Problem Solver
Message 8 of 10 (2,804 Views)

Get it replaced under warranty.

There's a 24 month replacement deal for that stuff. 

Warranty enquiry
Enjoy peace of mind when you purchase a new mobile or modem from Vodafone. With Vodafone's Repair Warranty you are provided with FREE protection from the cost of repairing a defective device for 2 years from the date of purchase! This warranty offer applies to new Apple®*, Nokia, Sony Ericsson, BlackBerry, LG, Samsung, Motorola, HTC and Huawei devices purchased from Vodafone after 1 January 2010, and Apple devices purchased from Vodafone after 21 February 2011, on:

24-months plans
12-month plans
Month-by-Month plans
Prepaid

Habitual Poster
terracomm

by Habitual Poster
Message 9 of 10 (2,798 Views)

You maybe right.

Problem Solver
Peter

[ Edited ]
by Problem Solver
Message 10 of 10 (2,775 Views)

I still suspect your modem's suss, but ... if you're using the same software with ZTE and Huawei modems, there's a chance it's the Vodafone connection manager and a bug with ZTE / Huawei modems. Update your version to the latest one. 

Release notes for the latest VMB software  PC 10.2.302

KNOWN ISSUES [048] Updating from VMB Lite which has been installed from a Huawei device, to a VMB Lite from a ZTE device is not possible.  Workaround: manually uninstall the old Vodafone Mobile Broadband release

Software & notes available here

Another thread having similar problems with modems stuck on EDGE:

Have you tried manually connecting to another network e.g. Vodacom to force it off Cell C and then back again to Cell C 3G (as explained in earlier post in thread) ?

Link to this thread

Stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 3y ago
  • 2 Kudos
  • 2 Contributors
Announcements
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?