Connection problems - Huawei K4511

Occasional Poster
kitykatz

Re: Connection problems - Huawei K4511

by Occasional Poster
Message 21 of 40 (1,902 Views)

Hi Bruno,

No, I haven't tried the reset button, in fact I didn't even know that there was a reset button. I've spoken to a few Vodafone people about this problem and you're actually the first Vodafone person to mention it.

And I haven't seen any mention of the rest button anywhere on this forum, or at the Whirlpool forim.

And I've spoken to a few Vodafone people about this problem and you're actually the first Vodafone person to mention it. 

But I had a call from Vodafone earlier today, and the Customer Sercice Representative said that the problem sounds like either a faulty SIM or a faulty USB device. He said I should take it back to the Vodafone store and they would exchange it for me.

So I'll go there this afternoon to swap it over,  and ask them about the reset button while I'm there.

Meanwhile, you might be able to help with another problem - the Vodofone modem 'taking over' the computer and refusing to allow a competitor's (Optus) modem.

When I installed the Vodafone modem, it did something to my computer that now prevents me from using my Optus/Huawei E1762 modem in this computer. I have asked Vodafone about it and they said that it was quite possible that the Vodafone modem would do something during the instalation procedure, 'setting up' my computer in such a way that would prevent another modem from being used, but they didn't know anything about the details, or about how I could stop it happening.

This is very inconvenient, because now when I can't get a Vodafone connection, I have to use another computer to use the Optus modem and this adds another level of pain to an already fraught situation.

I need to be able to use the Optus modem in my computer because Vodafone's coverage is no good in rural areas.

For example, yesterday we went to the midnorth coast on business and there was little or no Vodafore reception much of the trip. At our destination ( near Taree 2430) I had 'Emergency Service Only' on the mobile phone, and no broadband coverage on the modem. So I had to juggle two computers - not easy in a confined space - with my work in one computer and my internet connection in the other computer.

Please tell me how I can stop the Vodafone modem from blocking the Optus modem.

n

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Caitlin

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 22 of 40 (1,895 Views)
kitykatz wrote:

But I had a call from Vodafone earlier today, and the Customer Sercice Representative said that the problem sounds like either a faulty SIM or a faulty USB device. He said I should take it back to the Vodafone store and they would exchange it for me.

So I'll go there this afternoon to swap it over,  and ask them about the reset button while I'm there.

Meanwhile, you might be able to help with another problem - the Vodofone modem 'taking over' the computer and refusing to allow a competitor's (Optus) modem.

When I installed the Vodafone modem, it did something to my computer that now prevents me from using my Optus/Huawei E1762 modem in this computer. I have asked Vodafone about it and they said that it was quite possible that the Vodafone modem would do something during the instalation procedure, 'setting up' my computer in such a way that would prevent another modem from being used, but they didn't know anything about the details, or about how I could stop it happening.

This is very inconvenient, because now when I can't get a Vodafone connection, I have to use another computer to use the Optus modem and this adds another level of pain to an already fraught situation.

I need to be able to use the Optus modem in my computer because Vodafone's coverage is no good in rural areas.

For example, yesterday we went to the midnorth coast on business and there was little or no Vodafore reception much of the trip. At our destination ( near Taree 2430) I had 'Emergency Service Only' on the mobile phone, and no broadband coverage on the modem. So I had to juggle two computers - not easy in a confined space - with my work in one computer and my internet connection in the other computer.

Hi kitykatz,

It would be great to hear if this was a SIM or device issue and if this has been resolved in store for you. 

I can definitely understand how frustrating it can be switching between the two computers. To resolve this issue and allow you to use your Vodafone mobile broadband and your other carriers mobile broadband devices on the same computer I do suggest uninstalling the carriers mobile broadband software from your computer. Once you've done this, plug in your other carriers mobile broadband device. Does the Vodafone software detect your device? If so, you will need to go to settings > advanced settings > priorities > add settings > give name. Once you've done this, you will need to select the second tab and add a second APN (your other carriers APN which you may need to contact them for).

Doing this will allow you to switch between the two devices through the Vodafone MBB software. 

Please let me know if this works for you.

Thanks,

Cait

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
kitykatz

by Occasional Poster
Message 23 of 40 (1,887 Views)

Hi Caitlin,

Thanks for your reply, and I agree that it would be nice to know whether it was a SIM or device issue, but sadly we still don't know because the Vodafone store at Glendale weren't able to tell me anything. They have no means of testing either the SIM or the Huawei modem, and the lady said that she didn't know why they (i.e. Vodafone customer service representatives) tell customers that (i.e. to bring their devices to their local Vodafone store ), because there's nothing they can do at the shop.

It was a big waste of time going over there.

I know you can't help with the connection issue, but perhaps you can shed some light on another problem that happens every day after I actually do have a connection.

This afternoon for example, I connected at 3:54 pm and everything was fine for 10 minutes, and then I started getting DNS errors: "This webpage is not available. The server at [wesbite] can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed", etc. This happens every session, sometimes for short periods of a minute or two, other times for half an hour or longer. When it happens, I always check the signal strength in the Vodafone browser window, and there is never any noticeable change. This afternoon it showed good signal strength - 3 bars of either 3G or HSUPA - and yet was not able to connect anywhere.

The DNS errors stopped at around 4:20 pm and I've had no problems for the last 15 minutes, so I'll try and post this message before the window of opportunity closes.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
kitykatz

by Occasional Poster
Message 24 of 40 (1,882 Views)

Hi Caitlin,

With regard to using the Optus modem, I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

I have uninstalled the Optus software, but it makes no difference. When I plug the Optus modem into the computer, the Vodafone software detects it and the driver installation progress box tells me that it is installing Vodafone drivers, and then when it's finished I get a "wrong SIM" type of message.

There seems to be something wrong with the Vodafone broadband - either the Huawei modem, or the Vodafone Sim, or the Vodafone MMB software (user interface?), so it makes no sense to try and access Optus broadband via the Vodafone user interface.

The Optus device has its own user interface, which I would prefer to use. Uninstalling the Vodafone broadband might work, but that is not a practical solution for use on a daily basis.

Would you please ask your technical people what they can do to stop the Vodafone modem from interferring with other modems.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
kitykatz

by Occasional Poster
Message 25 of 40 (1,879 Views)

Hi Caitlin,

Thanks again for your help.

I'm still having a problem with the Vodafone software

Have spent a great deal of time trying to follow the procedure:  go to settings > advanced settings > priorities > add settings > give name. I can't get past "add settings" because I can't access "Mobile" in the Connection Settings Box. "Wi-Fi" is already pre-selected every time I open this box, and it won't allow "Mobile" to be selected.

You can see a screenshot here: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=14v1c37&s=5

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Caitlin

Message 26 of 40 (1,857 Views)

Hi kitykatz,

I apologise for the delay responding to you, I have been looking into further options in resolving the issue to have both your Vodafone modem and your other carriers modem connecting to your one computer.

kitykatz wrote:

I'm still having a problem with the Vodafone software

Have spent a great deal of time trying to follow the procedure:  go to settings > advanced settings > priorities > add settings > give name. I can't get past "add settings" because I can't access "Mobile" in the Connection Settings Box. "Wi-Fi" is already pre-selected every time I open this box, and it won't allow "Mobile" to be selected.

You can see a screenshot here: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=14v1c37&s=5

We can not guarantee that the software for both the devices will work on the one computer. I suggest un installing and re installing the Vodafone software to see if this assists.  Otherwise, I do suggest unlocking your Vodafone modem to use your other carriers SIM card when needed. This will allow the Vodafone software to connect to the MBB device whilst using your other SIM card . All you will need to do it reconfigure the APN when using your other carriers SIM.

kitykatz wrote:

This afternoon for example, I connected at 3:54 pm and everything was fine for 10 minutes, and then I started getting DNS errors: "This webpage is not available. The server at [wesbite] can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed", etc. This happens every session, sometimes for short periods of a minute or two, other times for half an hour or longer. When it happens, I always check the signal strength in the Vodafone browser window, and there is never any noticeable change. This afternoon it showed good signal strength - 3 bars of either 3G or HSUPA - and yet was not able to connect anywhere.

Are you able to test your Vodafone mobile broadband SIM card in another device? Doing this will help us determine if issue may lie in mobile broadband device, as you have mentioned this happens anywhere.

Thanks,

Cait

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
kitykatz

by Occasional Poster
Message 27 of 40 (1,297 Views)

Hi Caitlin,

When you say "We can not guarantee that the software for both the devices will work on the one computer", I'm not sure what this means. I can understand that the Huawei device and the Vodafone software might be locked to Vodafone, but not my computer - I don't want my computer to be locked to Vodafone.

I don't expect the Optus & Vodafone devices to be working at the same time, if that's what you mean. They have never been connected to the computer at the same time, it's always either one or the other, not both.

I.E. either

a). connecting to the Vodafone network via the Vodafone/ Huawei K4511 and the Vodafone browser/software/user interface

or

b). connecting to the Optus network via the Optus/ Huawei E1762 and the Optus browser/software/user interface

The problem is that even after re-starting the computer, and with no devices connected to the computer, and without opening the Vodafone software, as soon as I plug in the the Optus modem, Vodafone takes over, jumping in and loading Vodafone drivers, then tells me the SIM is wrong.

I can find no reference to this problem anywhere. The "Freedom To Connect Online" booklet mentions using other supplier's devices on the Vodafone network -, for example on page 10, "Non-Vodafone supplied USB modems or Tablet devices can only work on our network if they are compatible, unlocked, and have not been reported as lost or stolen devices". But this doesn't apply to this problem because I'm not trying to use the Optus device over the Vodafone network.

I need to stop the Vodafone software from interferring with the Optus device, and would appreciate any help in this regard.

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Caitlin

Message 28 of 40 (1,268 Views)

Hi kitykatz,

I apologise, what I mean is that we can not guarantee that the software for your Vodafone modem and the software for your other carriers modem will work on the same computer. The software may clash with each other and prevent one from working, so this does not mean your computer will be locked to Vodafone. 

Due to this, the best way to have your computer to connect to either modem is through the one software. If you unlock your Vodafone mobile broadband device, this will allow you to use your other carriers SIM card in your Vodafone device. This does not mean that you will still connect to the VF network, this is so the software is able to detect the modem and allow you to connect to the other network, as long as you configure the correct APN for the other carrier. 

Thanks,

Cait

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
kitykatz

by Occasional Poster
Message 29 of 40 (1,252 Views)

Hi Caitlin,

Thank for your email.

I've found the Handset Unlocking page,

https://unlock.vodafone.com.au/voila/handsetunlock/self-service.html;jsessionid=ACC0210DE8710903B9FE..., but I'd like to find out whether any charges would be applicable to unlocking this device.

Would you please give me a Vodafone link for general information on unlocking charges, thank you.

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Bruno

Message 30 of 40 (1,246 Views)

Hi kitykatz,

The Huawei K4511 is a hard-locked device, so there is a charge to have it unlocked.

How long have you had the device?

If you've had the device for less than 6 months, and you unlock the device online, the unlocking fee will be $75. If you have had the device for more than 6 months, the unlocking fee is reduced to $25.

I've also included a link to a post here in the Community about unlocking devices, it has some good advice about unlocking any device.

Cheers,

-Bruno.

Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 39 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 6 Contributors
Announcements
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?