3G signal keeps changing to H on Pocket wifi

Occasional Visitor
Adrian_01

3G signal keeps changing to H on Pocket wifi

by Adrian_01 Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 46 (19,824 Views)

Last few weeks device keeps changing from 3G to H and the speed is terrible. It is as slow as dialup after we had enjoyed good speeds over last few months at Seven Mile Beach, Hobart. Now the speed is as bad as was bigpond wireless that we transferred from!

My question is what can be done to ensure it remains at 3G ? - I have already read the forum and switched the device to 3G only (not preferred) and it still drops out to H as shown on the device. The reception always by the way shows 5 bars.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Genius
happydude

Re: 3G signal keeps changing to H on Pocket wifi

by Occasional Genius
Message 2 of 46 (19,659 Views)

You cannot force your device to H. H is HSDPA, a data connection type. When your device shows 3G, it means its using UMTS, another data connection type (actually the 'standard' type for 3G when the carrier has not rolled out any upgrades)

In theory, HSDPA is meant to be much faster than UMTS which is why your device is moving UP to H and not staying on 3G. Forcing your device to stay on 3G means it will only stay on the 3G network, not the data connection type you use.

Sounds like there is a service issue in your area, probably congestion

it's still the magic number :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
DeeDraper

by DeeDraper Frequent Visitor
Message 3 of 46 (17,701 Views)

I am having the same problem in Buderim on the Sunshine Coast.

3G is great but gets switching to H which is like dial up speed. It seems to change to H in busy times like school holidays and weekends. I used to be with 3 when I lived in Sydney which was always fast & reliable.

Dee.

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Maddie

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 4 of 46 (17,684 Views)

I am having the same problem in Buderim on the Sunshine Coast. 3G is great but gets switching to H which is like dial up speed.

Hi Dee, 

I would like to help investigate what is causing these connectivity issues with you.

Which device are you currently using and for how long have you been experiencing this? It would be great if you could put your address and handset model into our coverage checker here and let me know how many dots you see on each row.

Have you only been experiencing this issues in Buderim, as I can see there are currently a lot of upgrades being worked on here that may be impacting your service. These upgrades will certainly provide you with a more reliable service. For details please click here.

Don't worry about the 3G / H mode switching, that's what it's supposed to do, or is it constantly flickering rapidly between 3G and H?

It seems to change to H in busy times like school holidays and weekends. 

What's the speed like at other times of the day, outside peak time? Once I know some more information, I'll be able to look into a cause of action. 

Thanks,

Maddie

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Murasaki

by Murasaki Visitor
Message 5 of 46 (17,667 Views)

This is happening to me too.

Its really frustrating as I need to do online grocery shopping but it keeps timing out on the H network. I am in Oxenford 4210 and there do not appear to be any updates going on here.

I need this problem to be rectified soon or I will have to change providers. I have tried calling the help numbers but I can't even get past the automated robot at the start - no matter what I try to say she says "sorry I dont understand" or suggests something unrelated.

I have a prepaid phone (not Vodafone) with a very low plan and I can't afford to waste all my call time trying to get through to a human, even once I get through they just suggest resetting the wifi which I have tried a few times. They are really nice - but I'm going to try here because I need some other ideas.

I can never seem to sign up to My Vodafone either so I can't check my data usage. I can complete step one and step two but when I try to submit the password it just loads and loads and loads and eventually goes back to step one.

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Bree

Message 6 of 46 (17,651 Views)

Murasaki wrote:

This is happening to me too.

Its really frustrating as I need to do online grocery shopping but it keeps timing out on the H network. I am in Oxenford 4210 and there do not appear to be any updates going on here.

I need this problem to be rectified soon or I will have to change providers. I have tried calling the help numbers but I can't even get past the automated robot at the start - no matter what I try to say she says "sorry I dont understand" or suggests something unrelated.

I have a prepaid phone (not Vodafone) with a very low plan and I can't afford to waste all my call time trying to get through to a human, even once I get through they just suggest resetting the wifi which I have tried a few times. They are really nice - but I'm going to try here because I need some other ideas.

I can never seem to sign up to My Vodafone either so I can't check my data usage. I can complete step one and step two but when I try to submit the password it just loads and loads and loads and eventually goes back to step one.

Hi Murasaki,

I can certainly understand how frustrating this is for you. 

I have just taken a look at our proposed coverage map and can see that you have a strong 2G signal in your area and also access to the new 850MHz Network. 

If you take the sim card out of your Pocket Wifi, and place the sim in a device in the area, do you receive better reception or the same? 

Which device make and model are you using? Is this a Pre Paid Pocket WiFi or a Post Paid WiFi? I would like to confirm this information with you before I point you in the right direction for checking your data usage. 

Thank you,

Bree 

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Murasaki

by Murasaki Visitor
Message 7 of 46 (17,646 Views)

Hi,

yeah if I take the sim out of the pocket wifi 2 and put it back into the pocket wifi 1 it is the same. I upgraded to the pocket wifi 2 last week because it was free and ever since I hooked it up our connection is slow. It was fine before! Its not all the time, I might get 2 or 3 clicks on 3G then it will change to H. It took me 40mins to pay my rent last night and I was just about ready to throw the computer out the window - but I wont because its a new Imac.

It is a post paid wifi. Always has been. I can't believe it because everything says I should have great coverage here and have had up till now.

I've tried resetting it, I've tried clearing off other networks - there are no other networks. I dont have other devices to try hooking up to and I really dont want to mess with anything else now.

From this community I can see that others have had the same problem, was it resolved for these people or did they leave the network? I really need reliable connection so if the problem cannot be rectified (for example, its out of your hands) then I would like to know so I can start looking for another provider.

Thanks

I appreciate the hard work you call centre people do - I dont like to be a first world whinger.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Askquest

by Occasional Poster
Message 8 of 46 (17,641 Views)

Hi to all having "Pocket Wifi keeps going to H network and when it does I can not access anything on the internet" problem,

After getting a meer 17MB of data back from a 3 hour verry slow unresponsive internet last night,  I decided to reactivate the pocket-wifi 1 unit (ie; plug the vodafone wireless mobile sim card from pocketwifi 2 into the pocketwifi 1 unit ).  Suddenly, the internet came alive and I was able to get around 350MB of data within 1 and half hours. The internet response was as good as the pre-pocketwifi 2 days.  It's still working great this morning.

I note that Murasaki had tried the sim card in pocket wifi 1 and the response time was the same.  I wonder if the unlocking of my pocket wifi 1 from Vodafone made a difference?

Hope my pocket wifi 1  wil keep working well  after Vodafone applies updates to their network and that this post will be of some help.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Nick

Message 9 of 46 (17,615 Views)

HI Murasaki,

H stands for HSDPA, which is an enhanced version of 3G, and has the potential to be faster than 3G, so switching from 3G to H should generally improve your speeds. Is it possible to try another couple of things to see if you can get your service up and running the way it should be?

Firstly, have you tried moving the WiFi in to different spots round your house? Often the WiFi will work better in particular locations as there may be less obstructions to the signal. Usually near a window is a good start. Because the device is wireless, you can move it to different spots, but still pick up the wireless network from your computer.

I would also be interested to know how if the performance improves when the Pocket WiFi is plugged in to the computer via USB. Are you able to give this a go for me?

Please let me know how you go. I may have to grab some of your details so I can have a closer look at your account.

Cheers,

Nick

Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
DeeDraper

by DeeDraper Frequent Visitor
Message 10 of 46 (17,535 Views)

I am using pokcet Wifi 2.

I got the device about the 20th Nov 2011. All was good up early Dec. As terrible all rest of Dec and Jan.

From Feb improved - but slow in weekends and late afernoons.

Then started going very slow and everytime it happens it slows that it has gone to H.

When on 3G, speed in good.

I used to be on 3 when I lived in Sydney and speed and reception was always great even though only 3 bars most of time.

Very frustrating now that I'm on vodafone.

Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 45 Replies
  • 3y ago
  • 4 Kudos
  • 14 Contributors
Announcements
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?