Nick_S

iPhone unlocking on Vodafone

by Knowledge Management Analyst ‎25-04-2013 06:40 AM
Knowledge Management Analyst

You've probably encountered network locking if you've ever changed providers, wanted to use your phone with an overseas network, or just wanted to use your friend’s SIM in your phone.

In the past, if you wanted to unlock your iPhone you’d need to submit your request through our unlocking tool.  It'd take a while for the request to go through, after which you'd need to backup and restore your iPhone to unlock it.  But things just got a little easier.

Already have an iPhone from us?

You no longer need to request for your iPhone to be unlocked!   That means no more waiting for your request to go through, making it a much quicker and easier process.

All you need to do is backup your phone, then restore it through iTunes.  We’ve put together some instructions to step you through it.

Buying a new iPhone from us?

Your iPhone will be automatically unlocked at the point of activation.  No need to request for it to be unlocked, or backup and restore.

What about other phones?

This change only applies to the iPhone.  For other devices, the our unlocking tool is still the place to go to unlock.
Not all phones are locked, but the unlocking tool will help to confirm whether yours is.  Find out more about network locking on our support page, or take a look at our video which walks you through it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5URUWqncAZY

Comments
Matt46
by Matt46 ‎25-04-2013 08:58 AM

Any idea on when this process is expected to start? Or has this started already?

Vodafone_AU
by Vodafone Australia ‎26-04-2013 03:08 AM

It's already started Matt! You no longer need to contact us to unlock your iPhone! Thanks, Nichole.

Matt46
by Matt46 ‎26-04-2013 10:31 AM

Thanks for the clarification!

Daniel11
by Daniel11 ‎26-04-2013 11:29 AM

Hey peeps! The unlock also does work if you use another providers sim in the iphone and reset the network settings! Thats a trick i use in store!

Nick_S
by Knowledge Management Analyst ‎30-04-2013 02:25 AM

Nice one Daniel! I really wanted to include the method you've mentioned in the unlocking page when it was being written up, but unfortunately it doesn't work for all iPhones. I'm not sure if it only works with 4S and above or if it's to do with iOS version (if you have any insight on this, let me know). The instructions in the article will work for any iPhone. For ones that do work with your method it's definitely the quickest and easiest way. For those playing at home, you'll find this option in: Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset network settings Thanks!

kelly3
by kelly3 ‎26-06-2013 02:03 PM

I tried to do this with the most up to date iTunes (11.0.4) and got to step 10 but it never gave me the option to Update Settings.
Help?

Vodafone_AU
by Vodafone Australia ‎27-06-2013 01:12 AM

Hi Kelly, Let's get this sorted and we'll get your iPhone unlocked as soon as possible. Have you tried another carrier SIM to test whether the unlocking worked? If it didn't, we'll have to work out why you weren't prompted to download the software. Can you please send us an email with your IMEI and we'll look into it. Send an email to support@vodafone.com.au with this info: http://vfau.co/VFcomm We'll also need you to include this complete reference number because we won't get your email without it: Hope to hear from you soon. Charlotte

Vodafone_AU
by Vodafone Australia ‎27-06-2013 07:58 AM

Have you tried out Network unlocking tool Kelly? You can find this here: http://support.vodafone.com.au/articles/FAQ/Network-Lock?retURL=%2Fapex%2FKnowledgeArticlesMap&popup... If you still need some help head over to our Community and we can chat further please view here: community.vodafone.com.au cheers Maureen

Indika_Bandara
by Indika_Bandara ‎25-09-2013 12:19 PM

Is this suitable for Latest iPhone 5C ?

Vodafone_AU
by Vodafone Australia ‎26-09-2013 01:54 AM

It sure is, Indika. If you get stuck, or have any questions, head over to our Vodafone Community and we'll help you out there. Cheers, Sarah.

Stats
  • 10 Comments
  • 0 Kudos