Kieran

Software Update Weekly Wrap - 6th December 2012

by Subject Matter Expert ‎07-12-2012 05:39 AM
Subject Matter Expert

Welcome to this week's Weekly Wrap! This post will give you all the information we currently have on software updates working their way through our labs.

If you're interested in learning how Android updates make their way from Google to your smartphone, why not have a read of the Android Software Journey?

When will Jelly Bean be available for my phone?

We're excited at the release of the latest version of Android and would be delighted to see this update roll out to our customers.

In addition to the upgrades for the Nexus S and Samsung GALAXY S III, at this stage the only other confirmations we have received from local vendors regarding Jelly Bean are for the GALAXY Nexus, GALAXY S II, GALAXY Note, GALAXY Tab 2 10.1 and the HTC One X.

We do not have any further information regarding local availability or eligibility of upgrades to any other existing devices.

As more confirmations are received from local manufacturers, they will be added to the Weekly Wraps so be sure to check back each Thursday for the latest news.

What you need to know about our Weekly Wraps

We rely on our manufacturing partners to develop software updates prior to submission to us for testing and certification.

This Weekly Wrap contains any and all information on software updates that manufacturers are working on submitting to us for testing, or are already in our labs.

Although you may hear news about updates from around the web and overseas, please be aware that local delivery timelines can differ. This is due to local hardware variants and Australian regulatory requirements.

If the update you're looking for isn't included below, it means the manufacturer has not made any indication to us regarding their local plans for Australian release.

What's in the labs?

Devices which are listed in bold type indicate a change from last week:

Manufacturer Model Current Future Status
SamsungGALAXY Tab 2 10.14.0.4 Maintenance ReleaseAndroid 4.1
Jelly Bean
First round testing complete, awaiting submission of second round software.
GALAXY Note4.0.4Android 4.1
Jelly Bean
GALAXY S II
(Vodafone and 3 Variants)
4.0.3Android 4.1
Jelly Bean
GALAXY S III4.1.1TBARoll out started, currently on hold. For more info please see this blog post.
GALAXY Nexus4.0.44.1.2Currently in testing. For more news please see this blog post.
SonyXperia sola4.0.44.0.4 Maintenance ReleaseFinal OTA testing underway.
Xperia S4.0.44.0.4 Maintenance ReleaseFinal OTA testing underway.
HTCOne X4.0.44.1.1HTC have requested a third round of testing. Currently awaiting submission of third round software.
Sensation4.0.3 Maintenance ReleaseTBAThis update is now available. For more information, please see this blog post.
Sensation XE4.0.3 Maintenance ReleaseTBAThis update is now available. For more information, please see this blog post.
RIMBlackBerry Bold 9900OS 7.1 bundle 1149OS 7.1 Maintenance ReleaseTesting complete, review underway.
BlackBerry Curve 9360OS 7.1 bundle 1647OS 7.1 bundle 2039Testing complete, review underway.
HuaweiAscend G3002.3.6Android 4.0 Ice Cream SandwichApproved by Vodafone, awaiting release by Huawei.
NokiaN8
(Vodafone Variant)
Nokia BelleNokia Belle RefreshFinal OTA testing underway.
N8
(3 Variant)
Nokia BelleNokia Belle RefreshApproved, awaiting roll out by Nokia.
C7
(Vodafone Variant)
Nokia BelleNokia Belle RefreshFinal OTA testing underway.
C7
(3 Variant)
Nokia BelleNokia Belle RefreshApproved, awaiting roll out by Nokia.
E6Nokia BelleNokia Belle RefreshFinal OTA testing underway.
E7Nokia BelleNokia Belle RefreshFinal OTA testing underway.

Historical Information

BlackBerry OS

RIMBlackBerry Storm 9500v5.0.0.742TBAThis important update is now available; please see our blog post for further information.
BlackBerry Pearl 9100OS 6.0 bundle 3050TBAThis update is now available; please see our blog post for further information.
BlackBerry 9300, 9700, 9780, 9800OS 6.0 bundle 3049TBAThese updates are now available; please see our blog post for further information.

Windows Phone

NokiaLumia 800Windows Phone 7.5 (MCR3)TBAThis update is now available; please see our blog post for further information.
HTC7 TrophyWindows Phone 7.5 (MCR2)Windows Phone 7.5 (MCR3)Roll out of this update has been cancelled. Please see our blog post for further information.

MeeGo

NokiaN9MeeGo PR1.3TBAThis update is now available; please see our blog post for further information.

Important note: Please read before commenting.

We’re all about creating a safe, comfortable online community where everybody is treated with respect as outlined in our Vodafone social media user terms.

While most comments have been inline with our user terms, we’ve noticed several nasty comments that our moderators have had to delete.

Please note that any comments breaching our user terms will be deleted and repeat offenders will be blocked, as this is an all ages blog.

Comments
Allan1
by Allan1 ‎07-12-2012 05:51 AM

Wow, I'm disappointed that the one x has gone into a third round of testing. I mean its been quite a while since the announcement for jellybean on the one x was done. Should we be expecting this update around Christmas? And Kieran, when did HTC say they wanted to do a third round of testing? Could you give me that date or is it confidential?

AusDingo
by AusDingo ‎07-12-2012 05:54 AM

Oh ;(
Been so exited that i though JB was coming to Xperia S. Its just a maintenance upgrade.
Can you please note the improvements made?
I was really looking forward to getting Google Go on my handset.

will28
by will28 ‎07-12-2012 06:17 AM

GNex in testing!

Jemon
by Jemon ‎07-12-2012 06:20 AM

wow!really? 3rd testing for one x? Is this really what you are doing there at Vodafone or you're just patterning everything to Samsung s3 just to conceal the fact that you're too slow to get things done? Unbelievable...no wonder why they dubbed you vodafail

Dean7
by Dean7 ‎07-12-2012 06:25 AM

Before everyone starts complaining that the Galaxy Nexus should be getting the 4.2 update instead of the 4.1 one, the 4.2 update is very buggy and I'd advise everyone to wait until Google irons out all the kinks...

Kieran
by Subject Matter Expert ‎07-12-2012 06:27 AM

Hi Jemon, I think that's a bit of an unfair assessment especially given the circumstances. HTC who built your One X, who developed the software for your One X, and who code any updates for your One X have requested additional rounds of testing. We were ready to grant approval to the update after the first round. There's no mimicking of the GALAXY S III testing schedule and definitely no concealment taking place. Surely providing transparent, weekly updates on the status of the software for your phone is the direct opposite of concealing things?

Kieran
by Subject Matter Expert ‎07-12-2012 06:27 AM

Hi AusDingo, it's just a minor maintenance release. There won't be any immediate changes to your day to day experience.

Kieran
by Subject Matter Expert ‎07-12-2012 06:28 AM

Hi allan, it was within the last few days. If the updated build is released to us for testing within a week we should have it ready for Christmas.

squabbi
by ‎07-12-2012 06:31 AM

Waiting for the HTC One X update is retarded, why would you want to wait for ages? It better be here by Christmas . I do realise it no Vodafones fault but HTC is either stupid or very Paranoid.

amger
by amger ‎07-12-2012 06:32 AM

Hi keiran, was just wondering how long Final OTA testing generally takes.
Also, any word on JB for Xperia S? Looking forward to that and iI have to wait on official updates, as despite Sony's promise of supporting the rooting of an Xperia S, mine is locked (followed the instructions) :-(

Kieran
by Subject Matter Expert ‎07-12-2012 06:39 AM

Hi Alastair, when we test updates we always do a full reflash of the handset to each build we test. Final OTA testing is the last step in the process, where we roll back a device to the production software (that's the version you're using) and ask the supplier to then push the new build over the air. Once it's done there's a quick "sanity check" to ensure that everything works as it should after the OTA upgrade. So, the physical testing process only takes a day or two but actually getting the OTA servers set up to push to a handful of devices can take a few days at the supplier's end. In short, though, it a bit like asking how long is a piece of string? As with anything to do with testing there are lots of moving parts and it's hard to give a definitive answer. I hope that in place of that, the additional insight will suffice. As for Jelly Bean? No word from Sony I'm sorry! As soon as there's anything confirmed though I'll let you know.

sergiio
by sergiio ‎07-12-2012 06:52 AM

This is a scam. Vodafone cover their back saying that htc requests another test round, but they have got no idea about creating android updates. Repeat, THIS IS A SCAM.

Kieran
by Subject Matter Expert ‎07-12-2012 06:56 AM

Hi sergiio, you're absolutely right! We have no idea about creating Android updates and we don't even begin to try. The simple truth is that all of our software updates (Android, Windows Phone, Symbian, iOS) are created by the manufacturer of the phone. We've never coded a software update before and we don't plant to start soon. Scam? No. Delay? Yes. Slightly frustrating? Almost certainly. But, I'm confident HTC do know what they're doing when it comes to creating Android updates so if they tell us the update's not ready yet I'm going to take their word on it.

sergiio
by sergiio ‎07-12-2012 07:24 AM

Hi Kieran. I've got a question about all you said.
The updates are done by HTC, but apps like Joyn, included in the last update, are done by the carrier (in this case Vodafone). Is this the problem why Vodafone delays? I think that it is the really problem.
Excuse me for speaking in this tone, it's not your fault.

manik
by manik ‎07-12-2012 07:34 AM

hi kieran
good to hear that jelly bean was last week and disapper and you are giving us sympathy wait wait wait. you are saying it will be available from chirstmas .you didnt mention which year chrismas. I hope we will get 2013 christmas...that time we will get 6.0.1 version. do you thing its worth? it would be nice if we get 2012 chirstmas.
thanks

Kieran
by Subject Matter Expert ‎07-12-2012 07:36 AM

Hi sergiio, I've just had a quick check of your IP and I can see you've reached us from Spain. Hello! The carrier customisation here in Australia is different from the one over there (as an example we don't include Joyn on our phones). However, the process is still the same - any additional apps are included by the manufacturer at the request of the carrier. Vodafone still don't physically add anything ourselves. For more info on how software makes its way to your phone, have a read of the Android Software Journey.

Chris72
by Chris72 ‎07-12-2012 07:37 AM

Hi Kieran,
If I was to buy a Lumia 920 from Telstra outright would it work on the 4G Vodafone network? I know "We recommend each phone gets test on our network blah, blah." But generally speaking would there be a problem.

Andrew40
by Andrew40 ‎07-12-2012 07:38 AM

Hi, Just wondering if we have any information on the release of Android 4.1/4.2 Jelly Bean for the HTC EVO 3D? Thanks :smileysurprised:)

Kieran
by Subject Matter Expert ‎07-12-2012 07:39 AM

Hi Chris, we currently operate a DC-HSPA+ network on 850MHz, 2100Mhz and 900MHz. Our LTE network will operate on the 1800MHz frequency. As the Lumia 920 supports these frequencies and technologies, there should be no problem. You will need to change your settings, but in principal the support is there.

Kieran
by Subject Matter Expert ‎07-12-2012 07:42 AM

Hi Andrew, HTC have advised publicly that your handset will be remaining on Android 4.0.3 with Sense 3.6. You will continue to receive periodic maintenance releases to address bugs, stability and security issues.

Chris72
by Chris72 ‎07-12-2012 07:43 AM

Great answer. Thanks.

surya
by surya ‎07-12-2012 07:48 AM

I have been speculating since u people posted HTC submitting 4.1 update for one x. I noticed that after the completion of first round u took one whole week to review the test results n from the last week again u guys took a whole week to say that need another round of testing . How silly, blaming HTC for the cause

Kieran
by Subject Matter Expert ‎07-12-2012 07:55 AM

Hi surya, you're right that the changes in status line up on a weekly schedule but there's a simple explanation. I post updates each week, which let you know any status changes that took place in the last 7 days. The changes in status might take place after a day or two, but they are accurate at the time of posting. Also, I'm certainly not blaming HTC for the delays - simply letting everybody know that they made a specific decision not to release the earlier builds. As I mentioned in an earlier reply, I'm confident HTC know what they’re doing when it comes to creating Android updates. So if they tell us the update’s not ready yet I'm going to take their word on it.

Ben_2
by Ben_2 ‎07-12-2012 08:03 AM

How do I report some really obvious, basic problems with the Galaxy S2 firmware (and which have persisted for multiple versions) so that Samsung and Vodafone can ensure they’re fixed in the upcoming release?

Kieran
by Subject Matter Expert ‎07-12-2012 08:06 AM

Hi Ben, as Samsung develop the firmware for your GALAXY S II they would be the best people to get in touch with. If you have any problems with your Vodafone service, we'd be more than happy to help you out in the Community.