blog-software.jpg
Lawrence_S

Software Update Weekly Wrap - 3rd April 2014

by Device Portfolio Manager ‎04-04-2014 11:19 AM - edited ‎04-04-2014 02:34 PM
Device Portfolio Manager

We know how much you love to have the latest software on your phone and we love to get it to you. But, we can't always get it to you as quickly as you'd like. What we can do is keep you in the loop throughout the process. This weekly wrap is our way of doing that.

Stuff you need to know about software updates

Just as we don't make the phones we sell, we don't code the software that runs on them. We do some testing to make sure they work as we expect them to, but that's all there is to our part in the process.

Software updates are complicated, and there's a lot of moving parts to take into account (enough to fill three whole blog posts). But that's for us to worry about, not you.
We'll do the hard work behind the scenes like chasing our suppliers and doing the testing. The easy stuff is letting you know how we're progressing, and that's where this post and the table below comes in.

News from overseas

All the info we have on the updates we know about is below. Keep in mind though that this just for us here at Vodafone AU.
What happens overseas doesn't apply locally, so that info on a UK release or news about Android 4.4 KitKat you read on the web won't be coming to your phone straight away.
As soon as we hear news though, this is the place to read all about it. I'll be back for you again next week so stay tuned if what you're looking for isn't here yet.

What's in the labs?

Device models which are listed in bold type indicate a change from last week:

ManufacturerModelUpdateStatus
HTCDesire 310Android 4.2.2Available now.
HTCDesire 601Android 4.4Awaiting software for testing.
HTCOne Mini (M4)Android 4.4Software version cancelled. New software has been received. We are awaiting approval from HTC to start testing.
HTCOne (M8)Android 4.4.2In testing.
HuaweiG526Android 4.1.2Awaiting software for testing.
HuaweiPocket WiFi 4G (R215)V3.1Available now.
SamsungE3300E3300DUML1/ E3300VAUNA1Maintenance release cancelled, awaiting new software for testing.
SamsungGalaxy NexusAndroid 4.3Rolling out from April 8.
SamsungGalaxy Note 2Android 4.4Awaiting software for testing.
SamsungGalaxy Note 3Android 4.4Awaiting software for testing.
SamsungGalaxy S3 (LTE)Android 4.3 (Knox/Gear)Software received. Testing scheduled.
SamsungGalaxy S4Android 4.4Awaiting software for testing.
SamsungGalaxy S4 MiniAndroid 4.2.2 (Knox/Gear)Testing failed. Awaiting Samsung investigation.
SamsungGalaxy S4 (Cat 4)Android 4.3 (Knox/Gear)Available now.
SamsungGalaxy S4 (Cat 4)Android 4.4Awaiting software for testing.
SonyXperia M (C1904)Android 4.3 (Feature release 2)Testing complete. Awaiting rollout.
SonyXperia SPAndroid 4.3 (Quick maintenance release)New software received. Currently in testing.
SonyXperia TXAndroid 4.3 (quick maintenance release)New software received. Currently in testing.
SonyXperia ZAndroid 4.4Awaiting software for testing.
NokiaLumia 625WP8.1 BlueAwaiting software for testing.
NokiaLumia 720WP8.1 BlueAwaiting software for testing.
NokiaLumia 820WP8.1 BlueAwaiting software for testing.
NokiaLumia 925WP8.1 BlueAwaiting software for testing.
NokiaLumia 1320WP8.1 BlueAwaiting software for testing.

Want to stay up to date?

We can let you know when the Software Update is published on our blog each week. If you’re not already a member of the Community, then you can create an account, or sign in using Facebook, from the links at the top of the page.

CommunityRegistration.PNG

Once you’re signed up, or if you’re already a member, make sure you’re signed in then follow this link and click on click on 'Subscribe to this label', just below the Community search bar. We'll send you an email or PM as soon as the software update is published each week.

Got questions?
We've got answers! Post any questions or comments below, and we'll be able to help you out.

Comments
tpr91
by tpr91 ‎04-04-2014 11:32 AM
first question. I thought the 4.4 software update for the HTC one mini had been tested, AND awaiting roll out? why is it being tested again when it should have been deployed by now?!
MercuryHero
by MercuryHero ‎04-04-2014 11:52 AM
It looks like 4.4.2 for the one mini was tested, then testing complete, then stuck on "awaiting FOTA rollout date" for weeks, now it's scrapped?? We already missed out on 4.3 which the rest of the world got so we're still stuck on 4.2, no 4.3 or 4.4. Whats the reasoning? And don't say "all we know is what HTC tells us" - we bought the phone from Vodafone, not HTC, and it's Vodafone that should be liaising with HTC on our behalf to find out what's going on. Do carriers really have no ability to talk to the manufacturer about what their release plans are? The inability to tell customers what's going in is hurting Vodafone.
Lawrence_S
by Device Portfolio Manager ‎04-04-2014 02:32 PM

@tpr91 @MercuryHero 

The late decision to pull the version we'd completed testing on, in favour of a new version, came in between weekly software wraps - there's usually more of a gap.

This should've been made more clear in the above post, so i've made a small edit.

Thanks for pointing out the error, and for your understanding. 

Lawrence.

saleem6791
by saleem6791 ‎04-04-2014 03:19 PM
WHEN XPERIA M 4.3 ROOL OUT DATE
JulianBravo
by JulianBravo ‎04-04-2014 03:36 PM

como asi en xperia m (version feature 2)???

akkush
by akkush ‎04-04-2014 05:38 PM
I would like to ask about the new SW for XSP which is under testing.... Is it the .201 ??? I hope not. I just want to be sure,because it is buggy a "little bit".... Thanks in advance!
Joeshimaster
by Joeshimaster ‎04-04-2014 09:31 PM

YESSSSSSSSSSSS FINALYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY 4.3 for the LTE :smileyvery-happy:

markus3887
by markus3887 ‎04-04-2014 11:27 PM
When we can we expect an update for the s4 active it seems every other samsung gets one and we dont not happy
Jeiiel
by ‎05-04-2014 12:05 AM

WOO! windows phone 8.1!! :smileysurprised:

kjmci
by Community Expert ‎05-04-2014 12:51 AM

@markus3887 - that's entirely up to Samsung. Vodafone don't make the updates, they just test what Samsung gives to them. I've looked at a third-party resource which catalogues Samsung firmware releases and 4.2.2 appears to be the latest update. Some middle east nations are only just receiving an update that Vodafone AU released in December, so just remember that things could be worse. 

paulierye
by ‎05-04-2014 03:28 PM

Wohooo Windows Phone 8.1 already! :smileyhappy:

MercuryHero
by MercuryHero ‎05-04-2014 11:53 PM - edited ‎05-04-2014 11:56 PM

@Lawrence_S "The late decision to pull the version we'd completed testing on, in favour of a new version, came in between weekly software wraps - there's usually more of a gap."

What I would like to get is an indication *why* a version that had already completed tested and was awaiting roll-out was scrapped.

I could already see that it was scrapped from the information that was initially in the weekly wrap - the new wording makes the fact that it's scrapped more explicit but does not add any further information about why.

You mention that there was a decision.  Were you involved? Was the decision centred around, for example, a major bug, a security flaw (that somehow didn't affect the One M7 which received the equivalent update) etc? Knowing the reason behind something can actually satisfy people if it is, as I'm sure it probably is, a good reason.

Maureen_B
by Help and Support ‎06-04-2014 04:32 PM

@MercuryHero if this is for the HTC One mini KitKat update, HTC found an issue with this and put a temp hold on the release. It's now all been fixed and the delay would have only been while a new version was being created and sent to us for testing.

DanielSmall
by ‎06-04-2014 05:07 PM

Can anyone comment on what the HTC One M8 update fixes or includes? I heard it has something to do with the power saving feature. 

Caitlin
by Help and Support ‎07-04-2014 12:37 PM

Hey @DanielSmall 

There's no specifics to share right now. If you're keen to find out what is included, best have a chat with HTC directly! 

Cheers,

Cait

reverse_O
by reverse_O ‎07-04-2014 04:25 PM
For Xperia m, what is feature release 2? is it bug fixing update? or the update that already rolling in some countries? i.e. brazil, Mexico etc
androiduser97
by androiduser97 ‎07-04-2014 04:43 PM

I feel so sorry for the people who have the HTC One Mini.. still waiting for the Android 4.4 update.. :smileysad: Come on HTC! People are waiting!. :smileyvery-happy:

androiduser97
by androiduser97 ‎07-04-2014 04:45 PM - edited ‎07-04-2014 04:45 PM

This is why people stop buying HTC phones and go with Samsung or other manufactures... since HTC get there updates to some devices so slow.. HTC should improve on it..

MercuryHero
by MercuryHero ‎07-04-2014 05:44 PM
@androiduser97 in this case international users of the HTC One mini have received Android 4.4 months ago, and 4.3 before that. HTC have been good with updates since the M7 last year. It's just a pity this doesn't extend to Vodafone AU customers. Whoever's fault that is, it's not a problem I'd have had I not bought mine through Vodafone.
androiduser97
by androiduser97 ‎07-04-2014 05:48 PM

Well i still feel sorry for people has bought HTC One Mini with Vodafone... therefore waiting for Vodafone to release the update..

lorry
by lorry ‎08-04-2014 02:34 AM
USA has had the 4.3 update for the s4 active for a few months already! And your saying the middle East hasn't received theirs yet and we should consider ourselves lucky! Who is paying you to enlighten us with such revelations? What crap!
lorry
by lorry ‎08-04-2014 02:58 AM
Well put mercury hero! Although my gripe is about a different phone the s4 active! I echo those view points you put to Vodafone and the matter needs to be resolved by way of COMMUNICATION!! I mean the word encompasses the whole irony of this current regression of ability to give the inquiring customers what they want and that is anything remotely helpful in terms of tangible answers not wishy washy telco politically failed attempts of thinly veiled misdirection. Someone somewhere needs to care! The customer is of utmost importance and they need to feel heard, Vodafone are you listening, and if so do you hear us??
kjmci
by Community Expert ‎08-04-2014 03:08 AM - edited ‎08-04-2014 03:08 AM

Correct @lorry, AT&T released the Android 4.3 update for their variant of the Galaxy S4 Active (model SGH-I537) in January. Your phone is the international variant of the Galaxy S4 Active (model GT-i9295) and the most recent update available is Android 4.2.2. I would consider that receiving the update five months sooner than somewhere else is rather lucky. I'd be very pleased that I didn't have to wait five more months! Imagine how they would feel, not even on 4.2.2?

I'm paid by my employer here in the UK, not that that's any of your business. However, it has nothing to do with my choice to help customers out in my spare time and share my knowledge in an industry I've spent over eight years working in.

I'm sorry you're upset that your phone hasn't received an update yet, but to state it for you again - Vodafone has no control over this. Samsung can be reached by a range of methods: http://www.samsung.com/au/info/contactus.html

kjmci
by Community Expert ‎08-04-2014 03:15 AM

"Someone somewhere needs to care! The customer is of utmost importance and they need to feel heard, Vodafone are you listening, and if so do you hear us??" - @lorry 

Actually I find Vodafone Australia to be the best example of managing communication around software updates to their customers. Their approach has even been highlighted in the media. I recommend you read the post in question, The lows and lows of the 10.1v. It provides some interesting insight into how Vodafone handles themselves with regards to updates.

If you have any questions I'm sure the customer who complained would be happy to answer them for you. He's still around - he's @thefineline, now one of the Community Leads. 

Unix
by Unix ‎08-04-2014 08:29 AM
I see new frimware in xperiadownloadfrimware.cz on 07 april .. Why in hire are not avaible? Sory for my bad engelish ..
Stats
  • 38 Comments
  • 4 Kudos
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?