blog-software.jpg
Lawrence_S

Software Update Weekly Wrap - 26th June 2014

by Device Portfolio Manager ‎26-06-2014 09:10 AM - edited ‎01-07-2014 08:48 AM
Device Portfolio Manager

Manufacturer Model New Software Current Status
New this week
HTC Desire 601 Android 4.4.2 Issue with current version. HTC investigating.
Huawei G526 Android 4.1.2 Testing complete. Awaiting roll out schedule.
Huawei R208 Release 1 Awaiting software for testing.
Nokia 630 Product Release 1 Testing in progress.
Nokia Lumia 925 WP8.1 Blue Testing in progress
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Android 4.4 Awaiting software for testing. ETA early July 2014. To be confirmed by Samsung.
Samsung Galaxy S4 Android 4.4 Awaiting software for testing. ETA early July 2014. To be confirmed by Samsung.
Samsung Galaxy S4 (Cat.4) Android 4.4 Awaiting software for testing. ETA early July 2014. To be confirmed by Samsung.
Samsung S4 Mini Android 4.4 Awaiting software for testing. ETA early July 2014. To be confirmed by Samsung.
Sony Xperia M (C1904) Android 4.3 (QMR2) Staggered roll out from today. All users can update by July 7 2014.
Sony Xperia SP Android 4.3 (QMR1) Testing in progress.
Sony Xperia Z2 (I1II) Android 4.4 (QMR1) Issue with current version. Sony investigating.
Software update statuses
Huawei K4606 V3.1 Testing in progress.
Nokia Lumia 625 WP8.1 Blue Awaiting software for testing. ETA late June/early July 2014
Nokia Lumia 720 WP8.1 Blue Awaiting software for testing. ETA late June/early July 2014
Nokia Lumia 820 WP8.1 Blue Awaiting software for testing. ETA late June/early July 2014
Nokia Lumia 1320 WP8.1 Blue Awaiting software for testing. ETA late June/early July 2014
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Android 4.4 Testing in progress
Samsung S3 LTE (GT-I9305T) Android 4.4 Awaiting software for testing. No ETA. To be confirmed by Samsung.
Samsung Tab 3 3 10.1 (P5220) Android 4.4 Awaiting software for testing. No ETA. To be confirmed by Samsung.

The Playbook

• Manufacturers make the phones and the software updates that go with them. When an update’s sent to us, we test it to make sure your phone won’t go all SkyNet, and then beam it down to you. Software updates are a bit like blockbuster movies too – manufacturers release them at different times around the globe. So keep this in mind when you see on the web that Narnia got the new version of Android before us

Check out the whole software update process in our 3 part blog post, If you’re keen for all the nitty-gritty.

• Just like Windows won’t work on an iPhone, we can’t hack the matrix and update phones we didn’t sell. If you got your phone from another telco (you know who), retailer or from overseas (yes, this includes our Vodafone cousins), we aren’t able to update it
  • Because we can’t update phones from anywhere else, we can only spill the beans on updates for Vodafone Australia devices. As soon as we intercept the coded messages, it goes straight in this weekly post. So, if it’s not in the blog, we don’t know... yet
  • We’ve got a few easy guidelines for when you’d like to comment or ask questions. This helps keep the blog safe for everyone. They’re short, sweet and will help you master the force

Got questions?

We've got answers! Double check we haven’t answered your question in The Playbook above, then post below.

Want to be kept in the loop?

Subscribe to this weekly post and we’ll let you know when the next one’s up. 
If you’re not already, sign in/register at the top of the page - you'll need to be using a computer or viewing the full desktop site on your mobile.   CommunityRegistration.PNG

You need to have a verified email to subscribe, so check your account settings before continuing.

1. Register - Log in > click your name at the top > My Settings > Email
  2. Verify - You'll get a confirmation email after registering your email address. You need to respond to this email, to verify your email address is correct, before you can subscribe

When you've verified your email, go here and click 'Subscribe to this label' Subscribe label.PNG

Comments
grinja87
by grinja87 ‎26-06-2014 09:42 AM

At last I can see some changes in Samsung S4 CAT4 movements..... 4.4.3 will make us Happy

bishoyw
by bishoyw ‎26-06-2014 11:42 AM

Cant wait for the Lumia 925 Update, come on Voda and MS, Make us Proud.

pauljc26
by pauljc26 ‎26-06-2014 03:20 PM

Next OS being announced and we are still waiting to get Kit Kat

how ridiculous, early july now and then it will change to late july early Aug and so on

Haci
by ‎26-06-2014 03:32 PM
@Lawrence_S Could you indicate what version of KitKat it is being tested for the Note 3 (e.g. 4.4 or 4.4.x)? I'm sure Vodafone knows exactly what version it is. Regards.
SimgeYıldız
by SimgeYıldız ‎26-06-2014 04:48 PM

I am not surprised!

Everyone around the world is waiting for the new version of Android but we are still looking forward to see KitKat on our phones..

kjmci
by Community Expert ‎26-06-2014 07:48 PM

@SimgeYıldız unless you purchase a Nexus phone, you will never have the latest version of Android on your phone as soon as Google announces it. It's simply an impossibility.

hamu_chikani
by ‎26-06-2014 08:36 PM
@kjmci the point here is not what people should buy in order to have the latest software on their phones...but the fact that Samsung Australia promises something which they are themselves not sure about when they would be able to deliver, and is certainly two or may be 4 steps behind their siblings in overseas when it comes to upgrading to the next level android version (forget about having the latest one) to their Australian customers. This is the beginning of downfall of Samsung!! And I'm certainly not the one to have Samsung's next flagship. Goodbye Samsung Australia!
deepaksathish92
by deepaksathish92 ‎26-06-2014 11:05 PM

Is Sony C1904 getting another update from 15.A..4.1.9..???

durgadas1994
by durgadas1994 ‎27-06-2014 02:37 AM
Can we expect 4.4.2 for xperia m?
Toan
by ‎27-06-2014 03:16 AM

So you mean that the xperia z2 firmware is freezing now? I wait for its new and disappointed

Syed_ahmed
by Syed_ahmed ‎27-06-2014 07:10 AM
I will be discouraging people from buying samsung products, and signing up to the Vodaphone network as a result of this inadequate service. I will also not be doing either of these things again in my life. Apple understands you can't let incompetent companies (looking at you Vodaphone) influence software rollouts The sooner samsung realize this the better off they will be. Yours sincerely, Irritated ex - customer.
kjmci
by Community Expert ‎27-06-2014 07:23 AM

I'd be interested to know which phone you're using so I can give you a better idea of what's happening with your software update.

I can understand being upset at the delay and not recommending Samsung, but I'm confused as to why you'd not recommend Vodafone. Every carrier in Australia tests software updates prior to their release - you'll run into exactly the same situation with Telstra or Optus. 

You might also be interested to know that Apple software updates are subject to testing by carriers too. iOS 8 for example was announced and distributed to developers and carriers earlier this month, but it's not scheduled for release until around September. Even smaller point-releases are distributed to carriers prior to release. 

Vodafone have been the most open, and the most supportive of software updates out of any of Australia's carriers. They were the first to publish information about what was undergoing testing, they provide comprehensive support articles for every software update and they have in the past put pressure on manufacturers like Samsung to release updates that had previously been cancelled

I understand that waiting is frustrating, but if you're looking for a better experience you're unlikely to find it away from Vodafone. 

Brad_F
by Help and Support ‎27-06-2014 10:04 AM

Hey @Haci,

Haci wrote:
what version of KitKat it is being tested for the Note 3 (e.g. 4.4 or 4.4.x)?

We're testing 4.4 for the Note 3 right now.

Hey @hamu_chikani & @Syed_ahmed,

hamu_chikani wrote:
the fact that Samsung Australia promises something which they are themselves not sure about when they would be able to deliver, and is certainly two or may be 4 steps behind their siblings in overseas

Syed_ahmed wrote:
I will be discouraging people from buying samsung products, and signing up to the Vodaphone network as a result of this inadequate service.

We get that the wait is frustrating, but there's a lot of work and testing that happens behind the scenes for every Android update.While it may take a little more time to push out an update for your Android handset, as opposed to an iPhone, reset assured we work closely with the handset manufacturers to get them ready as soon as we can.

If you're keen for a bit of light reading, head over here, and check out our 3 part Android Software Journey blog.

Hey @deepaksathish92, and @durgadas1994,

deepaksathish92 wrote:
Is Sony C1904 getting another update from 15.A..4.1.9..???

durgadas1994 wrote:
Can we expect 4.4.2 for xperia m?

No news on any updates in the pipeline for the Sony C1904, or 4.4.2 for Xperia M. But if we ever do have any info on either of those, we'll share it with you right away in furture weekly wraps.

Hey @Toan,

Toan wrote:
So you mean that the xperia z2 firmware is freezing now?

All we can tell you about the 4.4 release for the Xperia Z2, is that Sony are investigating some issues with it. Once we have any updates.

But in saying that, it sounds like you're having a bit of trouble with your now and we're keen to help out. Can you pop over to our Community here, and set up a new post with a few details of what's happening?

thefineline
by Community Lead ‎27-06-2014 10:21 AM

Hey @Syed_ahmed 

Vodafone still test and influance Apple software updates. You'll notice a new iOS version is always announced and demoed months ahead of rollout. This is done so each carrier worldwide has time to test, provide feedback and approve. This also has the effect of making it impossible for an iOS update to be leaked from a testing team and ruin Apples big reveal.

Apple also provided no release date when they announced iOS8. The same events still take place just the Apple world but the Android world is just more transparent about the process.

Madshark
by ‎27-06-2014 02:28 PM

It is very frustrating waiting for the next update for the Samsung S4. Overseas they are looking at 4.4.4, and even the S3 has now got 4.4.2. Each month the update gets pushed back even further for us. Soon the next version of Android will be annonced and released before we even get Kitkat.

A lot of people think that Samsung is pushing their luck in Australia, and prob won't buy a Samsung next time around. I know i'll be thinking very seriously about another brand. NEVER Apple, but at least not Samsung.

I hope we see some improvement in service REAL soon.

LandBarge
by ‎27-06-2014 02:58 PM - edited ‎27-06-2014 04:17 PM

Downloading something update looking, ~450 meg, right now...

Galaxy Note 2, Kogan sourced, (so likely overseas model) on Vodafone... 

*** Edited to add ***

Now that it's downloaded, I can see that it's installed KitKat variant 4.4.2... currently optimizing apps... :smileyhappy:

abrar_a
by abrar_a ‎27-06-2014 06:37 PM
A friend of mine who is currently on a Bangladeshi career have had received KitKat on his Note 3 back in April. Careers in US and UK rolled out KitKat way back in March for the Note 3 and some varients of the Galaxy S4. This is very frustrating for everyone including me, using a Samsung device on Vodafone AU because KitKat is almost a year old OS now and Google is about to launch a new OS very soon, 4.5 or 5.0 whatever it might be.
sunneej
by ‎27-06-2014 07:23 PM - edited ‎27-06-2014 07:24 PM

How can anyone blame solely on Samsung for the delay in the updates? Yes, I own a Samsung phone, but as I have purchased it from Vodafone, they should also partially bear the responsibility of applying pressure on Samsung to work on the software. While I do acknowledge that Vodafone is also waiting for the same software, you guys should be the one to represent the customers and their demand to Samsung. It is disappointing to see Vodafone trying to avoid their responsibility by simply saying that Samsung isn't providing the software. Clearly, the way Australian networks work does not appeal to Samsung that many Australian consumers are still waiting for the update that many of other countries have already received. I'm not asking for the latest 4.4.3, it's the 4.4.2 that's been out for few months now. Then again, I may just be raging that I'm not getting the update that I want, but meh...

kjmci
by Community Expert ‎27-06-2014 07:43 PM

@abrar_a said: 
A friend of mine who is currently on a Bangladeshi career have had received KitKat on his Note 3 back in April. Careers in US and UK rolled out KitKat way back in March for the Note 3 and some varients of the Galaxy S4. This is very frustrating for everyone including me, using a Samsung device on Vodafone AU in Australia because KitKat is almost a year old OS now and Google is about to launch a new OS very soon, 4.5 or 5.0 whatever it might be.

Fixed that for you. All carriers in Australia are waiting for the update, not just Vodafone. 

@sunneej said: 
While I do acknowledge that Vodafone is also waiting for the same software, you guys should be the one to represent the customers and their demand to Samsung. It is disappointing to see Vodafone trying to avoid their responsibility by simply saying that Samsung isn't providing the software.

Have a look at my comment to @Syed_ahmed above (or click here). Vodafone have been incredibly proactive about getting updates out to their customers. But ultimately, they don't develop the software. If Samsung say it's not ready yet what suggestions do you have for Vodafone to try and get their hands on it? What kind of pressure should they put on when asking politely or asking firmly doesn't work?

Open to suggestions :smileyhappy:

kaozgamer
by ‎27-06-2014 08:46 PM

Any update for the Sony Xperia Z in order to fix the battery issue? Power management says that Google play services use up about 80% of the battery and the battery only lasts around 6 hours.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/06/05/sony-acknowledges-xperia-z-kitkat-battery-woes-provides-workaro...

kjmci
by Community Expert ‎27-06-2014 08:58 PM - edited ‎27-06-2014 08:59 PM

@kaozgamer did you read the statement supplied by Sony? This is an issue that has to be fixed by a new version of Google Play Services. Sony nor Vodafone can supply a resolution here. 

There is however a suggest work-around supplied in that post.

kamalmawa
by kamalmawa ‎28-06-2014 05:00 AM

@kaozgamer 

This is due latest version of Google play service update. If you go to Settings->Power Management->Battery usage then you will see a high percentage of Google Play service. There's a temporary solution till either Google releases new Play service update or Sony release a new software update. Until then try this,

1. go to Settings->Backup & reset->untick Back up my data
  2. then go to Settings->Apps->All->Google Play services->Manage Space->Clear all data

Now recharge the battery to 100% and see if you still having the issue. You might get the battery drainage again if you restart your phone (Keep monitoring it by going to Settings->Power Management->Battery usage). If you do so repeat the step 2. Hope this helps

Cyrille13
by Community Expert ‎28-06-2014 10:07 AM

Hi @kaozgamer and @kamalmawa 

Google has started rolling out a new update version 5.0.77 so its only a matter of time before it hits your device. You can check for the latest version installed under Application manager > All > Google play services 

Toan
by ‎28-06-2014 11:00 PM

Thanks for your suggest, I will restore by sony pc companion

grinja87
by grinja87 ‎29-06-2014 04:37 AM

@kjmci Hi! Can you add some information about Sams S4 CAT4? No news? Vodafone waits to recieve software of what?

Stats
  • 41 Comments
  • 2 Kudos
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?