blog-software.jpg
Lawrence_S

Software Update Weekly Wrap - 17th April 2014

by Device Portfolio Manager ‎17-04-2014 10:51 AM
Device Portfolio Manager

We know how much you love to have the latest software on your phone and we love to get it to you. But, we can't always get it to you as quickly as you'd like. What we can do is keep you in the loop throughout the process. This weekly wrap is our way of doing that.

Stuff you need to know about software updates

Just as we don't make the phones we sell, we don't code the software that runs on them. We do some testing to make sure they work as we expect them to, but that's all there is to our part in the process.

Software updates are complicated, and there's a lot of moving parts to take into account (enough to fill three whole blog posts). But that's for us to worry about, not you.
We'll do the hard work behind the scenes like chasing our suppliers and doing the testing. The easy stuff is letting you know how we're progressing, and that's where this post and the table below comes in.

News from overseas

All the info we have on the updates we know about is below. Keep in mind though that this just for us here at Vodafone AU.
What happens overseas doesn't apply locally, so that info on a UK release or news about Android 4.4 KitKat you read on the web won't be coming to your phone straight away.
As soon as we hear news though, this is the place to read all about it. I'll be back for you again next week so stay tuned if what you're looking for isn't here yet.

What's in the labs?

Device models which are listed in bold type indicate a change from last week:

ManufacturerModelUpdateStatus
HTCDesire 601Android 4.4In testing.
HTCOne Mini (M4)Android 4.4Testing finished. Awaiting roll out.
HTCOne (M8)Android 4.4.2 (Quick maintenance release)Testing finished. Awaiting roll out.
HuaweiG526Android 4.1.2Awaiting software for testing.
SamsungE3300E3300DUML1/ E3300VAUNA1Maintenance release cancelled. Awaiting new software for testing.
SamsungGalaxy NexusAndroid 4.3Available now.
SamsungGalaxy Note 2Android 4.4Awaiting software for testing.
SamsungGalaxy Note 3Android 4.4Awaiting software for testing.
SamsungGalaxy S3 (LTE)Android 4.3 (Knox/Gear)FOTA re-testing due to changes by Samsung.
SamsungGalaxy S4Android 4.4Awaiting software for testing.
SamsungGalaxy S4 MiniAndroid 4.2.2 (Knox/Gear)Testing finished. Awaiting final approval.
SamsungGalaxy S4 (Cat 4)Android 4.4Awaiting software for testing.
SonyXperia M (C1904)Android 4.3 (Feature release 2)FOTA testing failed. Pending Sony investigation.
SonyXperia SPAndroid 4.3 (Quick maintenance release)FOTA testing failed. Pending Sony investigation.
SonyXperia TXAndroid 4.3 (Quick maintenance release)FOTA testing failed. Pending Sony investigation.
SonyXperia ZAndroid 4.4 (Feature release 3)Awaiting software for testing.
NokiaLumia 625WP8.1 BlueAwaiting software for testing. ETA late May/early June 2014.
NokiaLumia 720WP8.1 BlueAwaiting software for testing. ETA late May/early June 2014.
NokiaLumia 820WP8.1 BlueAwaiting software for testing. ETA late May/early June 2014.
NokiaLumia 925WP8.1 BlueAwaiting software for testing. ETA late May/early June 2014.
NokiaLumia 1320WP8.1 BlueAwaiting software for testing. ETA late May/early June 2014.

Want to stay up to date?

We can let you know when the Software Update is published on our blog each week. If you’re not already a member of the Community, then you can create an account, or sign in using Facebook, from the links at the top of the page.

CommunityRegistration.PNG

Once you’re signed up, or if you’re already a member, make sure you’re signed in then follow this link and click on click on 'Subscribe to this label', just below the Community search bar. We'll send you an email or PM as soon as the software update is published each week.

Got questions?
We've got answers! Post any questions or comments below, and we'll be able to help you out.

Comments
Cyrille13
by Community Expert ‎17-04-2014 12:13 PM

HTC one mini users are going to be very happy with this . 

I'll tag a few users from the community to let them know... 

@tpr91 @MercuryHero 

MercuryHero
by MercuryHero ‎17-04-2014 12:16 PM - edited ‎17-04-2014 12:19 PM

Thanks @Cyrille13 for the update, and for the tag. Hoping the same fate doesn't befall this update as the last one :smileywink:

I love my One Mini - despite that it's not "flagship" it's in my eyes a more usable device than the M7 and M8 due to its small form (usable while holding the hand-holds on the bus or train) and its resistance to dents and scratches.  Seriously, I've dropped this onto hard floors way more than my previous Samsung and it still looks brand new. The "plastic" around the edge must be some sort of magic dent-free plastic unseen on other phones. My Note II was only dropped once and looks like someone's hacked at the corners with a machete.

SonyXperiaM
by SonyXperiaM ‎17-04-2014 02:32 PM

Agh how did xperia m fail :smileysad:

akkush
by akkush ‎17-04-2014 04:15 PM
Dear Vfone! Can you tell me what exactly means FOTA testing failed ? Its a shame how we XSP users can't get a usable or normally working FW/update!
Fakrudeen
by Fakrudeen ‎17-04-2014 06:46 PM
FOTA means Firmware Over The Air. This enables the users to update their phone firmware using the update centre . FOTA testing failed indicates that the testing for pushing the firmware update wirelessly to xperia users has failed.. I am new here, correct me if I am wrong...
akkush
by akkush ‎17-04-2014 07:17 PM - edited ‎18-04-2014 02:34 AM

I know that. I'm curious about the tech behind it. Another question:what is the latest officially available FW for SP ? (For Vodafone AU)

tpr91
by tpr91 ‎17-04-2014 07:23 PM
calling all HTC one mini users! if any of y'all receive the update for download can you post it? so the rest of us can download it.
kjmci
by Community Expert ‎17-04-2014 08:36 PM

@tpr91 that will result in their post being removed. Modifying your handset (even with legitimate firmware) can damange your phone and discussion of how to do this isn't allowed on the Community. There are places to find that info, but it isn't here. 

tpr91
by tpr91 ‎17-04-2014 09:50 PM
@kjmci calm down
kjmci
by Community Expert ‎17-04-2014 09:51 PM

@tpr91 I'm chill :smileyhappy:

Just letting you (and anybody else reading) what the rules are. 

Jackau
by Jackau ‎17-04-2014 10:22 PM - edited ‎17-04-2014 10:22 PM

Hi, i think the update is not just windows 8.1 blue but windows phone 8.1 blue with Lumia Cyan update

tobyiidog
by ‎19-04-2014 01:49 AM

I hope the HTC One M8 maintenance release fixes playing Google Play Movies using MHL cable. The sound would play but the movie would  not stream. Youtube and other video player works well, just Google Play Movies. 

tpr91
by tpr91 ‎20-04-2014 08:01 PM
Vodafone, make my long weekend and roll the HTC one mini kitkat out asap! talk to HTC etc. its gotta be ready by now? apologies in advance for my pushy instruction lol
kjmci
by Community Expert ‎21-04-2014 03:20 AM

Different phone @lorry - like I've said before, the AT&T Galaxy S4 Active is the SGH-i537. Your phone is the GT-i9295. The updates for the SGH-i537 are not applicable to your phone. 

The latest update for the GT-i9295 released anywhere in the world is 4.2.2 and you already have that update (actually you were one of the first to receive it).

Have you spoken to Samsung about this yet?

lorry
by lorry ‎21-04-2014 06:49 PM
Hi kjmci ! No I haven't spoken to Samsung about it, I just figured someone else would've already! Who should I contact department wise in Samsung and where?
kjmci
by Community Expert ‎22-04-2014 06:36 AM

Here would be a good place to start, @lorry

lorry
by lorry ‎22-04-2014 02:37 PM
Thx kjmci!
CustSince96
by CustSince96 ‎23-04-2014 10:53 AM - edited ‎23-04-2014 12:23 PM

Seriously having second thoughts about switching to Android from iPhone due to this update delay.

Bought my wife an I Galaxy Note 3's a month ago - went back on to contracts after both had expired.

<edited>

You can do better Samsung.

Balsam
by Community Lead ‎23-04-2014 12:06 PM

@CustSince96 ,

Your point when comparing Android to iPhone is valid. Apple only have a limited number of different devices, and operate in a very closed environment, so updates are all released at the same time. There are literally thousands of different Android devices, so updates are not all released together. The common term for this is "Android Fragmentation".

If you want to be on exactly the same OS as everyone else in the world that has the same device, then Apple is definitely the way to go. Personally, I think my Note 3 , even without this update, is a better device than any iThing on the market. Other people will disagree, so that's why there is such a variety of devices on the market... buy the one that suits your own needs. 

Placing the blame for this on Vodafone however, is not valid. The delay in getting the update for the Note 3 lies purely with Samsung at this stage. Until they provide the update to Vodafone Australia for testing, there's not a lot that can be done from Vodafone's end. Here's a link to a series of articles describing the whole update process:

http://community.vodafone.com.au/t5/Vodafone-Blog/The-Android-Software-Journey-Part-1/ba-p/269831

Hope that gives some insight into the process.

Cheers,

Balsam

tpr91
by tpr91 ‎24-04-2014 11:01 AM
its Thursday.. wheres the new software update voda ? gimme good news pls 😉 (HTC one mini)
Bree
by Help and Support ‎25-04-2014 09:32 AM - edited ‎25-04-2014 09:33 AM

Hey @tpr91 ,

We posted it last night over here.

We've even got some good news for you on the HTC One Mini. Check out the FAQs here.

Enjoy.

[EDIT: Formatting]

Stats
  • 21 Comments
  • 1 Kudo
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?