blog-software.jpg
Lawrence_S

Software Update Weekly Wrap - 12th June 2014

by Device Portfolio Manager ‎12-06-2014 08:13 AM last edited ‎12-06-2014 09:10 AM by Help and Support
Device Portfolio Manager

Manufacturer Model New Software Current Status
New this week
HTC One (M7) Android 4.4.2 + HTC Sense 6 Rolling out today from 12PM AEST.
HTC One X Android 4.2.2 Testing complete. Awaiting rollout schedule.
Huawei K4606 FW 2.7 Testing complete. Awaiting rollout schedule for factory stock only.
Huawei K5150 FW 2.7 Testing complete. Awaiting rollout schedule.
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Android 4.4 Awaiting software for testing. ETA mid/late June 2014.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Android 4.4 Awaiting software for testing. ETA mid June 2014.
Samsung Galaxy SIII 4G (GT-I9305T) Android 4.4 Awaiting software for testing. No ETA.
Samsung Galaxy S4 Android 4.4 Awaiting software for testing. ETA late June 2014.
Samsung Galaxy S4 (Cat. 4) Android 4.4 Awaiting software for testing. ETA late June 2014.
Samsung S4 Mini Android 4.4 Awaiting software for testing. ETA late June 2014.
Samsung Tab 3 10.1 (P5220) Android 4.4.2 Awaiting software for testing. No ETA.
Software update statuses
HTC Desire 601 Android 4.4.2 HTC are testing a new version. Once complete, it'll be delivered to us for testing. No ETA.
Huawei G526 Android 4.1.2 Awaiting software for testing. ETA mid/late June 2014
Nokia 208 V 06.01 Variant: 222.05 Testing complete. Awaiting rollout schedule.
Nokia Lumia 1320 WP8.1 Blue Awaiting software for testing. ETA late June/early July 2014
Nokia Lumia 625 WP8.1 Blue Awaiting software for testing. ETA late June/early July 2014
Nokia Lumia 720 WP8.1 Blue Awaiting software for testing. ETA late June/early July 2014
Nokia Lumia 820 WP8.1 Blue Awaiting software for testing. ETA late June/early July 2014
Nokia Lumia 925 WP8.1 Blue Awaiting software for testing. ETA late June/early July 2014
Samsung S5 (G900i) Android 4.4.2 (part 2 of 2) Rolling out 1PM (AEST) 9/6/14
Sony Xperia M (C1904) Android 4.3 (Quick Maintenance Release 2) Testing in progress.
Sony Xperia Z2 Android 4.4 (Quick Maintenance Release 1) Testing in progress.
Sony Xperia Z 4.4.2 (Feature Release 3) Rolling out on or before 18/6/14

The Playbook

• Manufacturers make the phones and the software updates that go with them. When an update’s sent to us, we test it to make sure your phone won’t go all SkyNet, and then beam it down to you. Software updates are a bit like blockbuster movies too – manufacturers release them at different times around the globe. So keep this in mind when you see on the web that Narnia got the new version of Android before us

Check out the whole software update process in our 3 part blog post, If you’re keen for all the nitty-gritty.

• Just like Windows won’t work on an iPhone, we can’t hack the matrix and update phones we didn’t sell. If you got your phone from another telco (you know who), retailer or from overseas (yes, this includes our Vodafone cousins), we aren’t able to update it
  • Because we can’t update phones from anywhere else, we can only spill the beans on updates for Vodafone Australia devices. As soon as we intercept the coded messages, it goes straight in this weekly post. So, if it’s not in the blog, we don’t know... yet
  • We’ve got a few easy guidelines for when you’d like to comment or ask questions. This helps keep the blog safe for everyone. They’re short, sweet and will help you master the force

Got questions?

We've got answers! Double check we haven’t answered your question in The Playbook above, then post below.

Want to be kept in the loop?

Subscribe to this weekly post and we’ll let you know when the next one’s up. 
If you’re not already, sign in/register at the top of the page - you'll need to be using a computer or viewing the full desktop site on your mobile.   CommunityRegistration.PNG

You need to have a verified email to subscribe, so check your account settings before continuing.

1. Register - Log in > click your name at the top > My Settings > Email
  2. Verify - You'll get a confirmation email after registering your email address. You need to respond to this email, to verify your email address is correct, before you can subscribe

When you've verified your email, go here and click 'Subscribe to this label' Subscribe label.PNG

Comments
jsd1992
by jsd1992 ‎12-06-2014 08:53 AM

Sir, what is the new thing in this week about xperia m.

Lawrence_S
by Device Portfolio Manager ‎12-06-2014 09:13 AM

No change this week, @jsd1992 . I've corrected the blog to reflect this. Keep an eye out next week for any updates.

jsd1992
by jsd1992 ‎12-06-2014 01:34 PM

Thanks @Lawrence_S .. Do you know any thing about this update. Any big changes.

khan_i
by khan_i ‎12-06-2014 02:47 PM
Just wondering if you knew what version note 3 will be receiving? Thanks
Haci
by ‎12-06-2014 03:37 PM
I was on the XDA Forums a while back (around the start of 2014) and asked if anyone knew what the ETA of the Galaxy Note 3 Kitkat upgrade will be. The reply that I got was mid 2014. I brushed it off thinking that's too long. Boy was that individual right. I hope Samsung is at least going to supply Kitkat 4.4.3. I mean the rest of the world's on it already.
androiduser97
by androiduser97 ‎12-06-2014 03:45 PM

Loving Sense 6.0 on my HTC One M7!!!. <3 GOOD JOB HTC AND VODAFONE!.

Bhanuy
by Bhanuy ‎12-06-2014 04:04 PM

Again same, till last week early June and now Mid June. - Note 3. 

pramodkumar1128
by pramodkumar1128 ‎12-06-2014 11:19 PM
We are having volume bug in xperia m 15.4.A.1.9
kjmci
by Community Expert ‎12-06-2014 11:45 PM

@pramodkumar1128 where did you buy your phone from? 

uvaisosho
by uvaisosho ‎13-06-2014 04:22 PM

Sony Xperia M Firmware v15.4.A.1.9 Already Released for Unlocked version Worldwide and still have many bugs like Volume bar not showing properly after applying Third Party themes , Blank Holo Spiral Live Wallpaper still there etc etc.
Please Inform/Forward to Sony Developing Team.

Thanks.

A Xperia M User and Administrator of Xperia M Group @ Fb.

facebook.com/groups/xperiamdev/

peterissa
by peterissa ‎14-06-2014 06:47 AM
Note 3 update ETA was late Apr to early May. Then mid May, then late May to early June, and now it's mid June. If I'm correct, ETA means estimated time of arrival. It doesn't mean "A time we think Mr.Samsung will talk to us." I bought the Note 3 as a flagship, because I was made to believe it would be supported well. I regret it and the reason is vodas inability to push Samsung and communicate accurate information. Should have bought the international version outright and saved 40 a month on my bill.
Dion_K
by Help and Support ‎14-06-2014 11:05 AM

Hey @peterissa  

peterissa wrote:

I bought the Note 3 as a flagship, because I was made to believe it would be supported well. I regret it and the reason is vodas inability to push Samsung and communicate accurate information.

The Note 3 is such a great phone, it's pretty disappointing that you're regretting your decision. So much goes into software updates, a lot of the time we're waiting for info from the manufacturer, sometimes we even re-test software updates to make sure they run smoothly for our customers.

Totally get why you're keen to grab the latest update, it's like getting a new phone all over again sometimes. Please just know we'll get it to you as soon as we can. To give you a bit insight, we've got a guide over here that runs through everything that goes into updates.

hamu_chikani
by ‎14-06-2014 05:20 PM
I sort of agree with you Peterissa. I really wonder how vodafone and Samsung play the game of blaming each other and defending the reason for not obliging their duty to disclose all information to their customers!! By doing this clearly they keeping the new flagships in limelight for longer thereby more sales!! It's a bit of a shame that both Vodafone and Samsung aren't keen live up to their customer's expectations once they have locked up the customer for 2 years!! Samsung and other telecommunication carriers in other countries are certainly 2 steps ahead of their Australian siblings when it comes to looking after their customer's value for money!!
kjmci
by Community Expert ‎14-06-2014 06:51 PM

When have Samsung ever blamed Vodafone, @hamu_chikani

burningrage
by burningrage ‎15-06-2014 09:06 PM

First posts here.

While I appreciate Vodafone has been proactive and communicative throughout my observation in this blog, the frustration of many customers here regarding constant delays in promised updates are understandable.

Perhaps if Vodafone never has any intention to provide upgrades to their software, it should never have posted ETAs in the first place. Providing ETAs that started from January and went on to Late June for S4 for example is completely perverting the meaning of the word "ETAs" in the first place. You might as well the ETAs is somewhere between 2014-2015. 

Promise as you mean it and mean what you promise. That's my advice to Vodafone for ill-feel free comments in this blog.

DrProblem
by DrProblem ‎16-06-2014 01:22 AM

re. samsung 10.1 P5220 update

Can anyone provide me with a link or just some decent amount

of information on what the 4.4.2 upgrade is going to offer compared

to just sticking to 4.2?

Unfortunately I keep updating the iphone as soon as updates come

out and of course keep having heaps of apps break. Dunno why I keep

doing it.

So I thought I'd leave updating the tablet unless 4.4.2 brings some

absolute killer features that I know I need otherwise wait a few months

for all my apps to be updated.

So, can anyone tell me what 4.4.2 is offering?

Andrew

ps. first law of IT. Never get first gen apps or hardware.

peterissa
by peterissa ‎16-06-2014 01:57 PM

Hi @Dion_K 

I'm no stranger to the SDLC and B2B operations. An ETA presented to customers is something that a brand should work to live up to in order to preserve its credibility within the public sphere. Setting an ETA for April and then pushing it three times to mid June is a black and white example of over-promising and under-delivering, whether or not the development responsibility currently resides with Vodafone. When Vodafone sets expectations and fails to meet them, business is lost in the form of customer retention and unfortunately it looks like I will be one of many within that loss.

mubeen_94
by mubeen_94 ‎16-06-2014 09:26 PM

First post as a member. I own a Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE+ Cat. 4. I've been eagerly waiting for a KitKat update but it's been quite a long and tiring time. The good news is that we might get a direct 4.4.3 update, because Samsung is reportedly in the final testing phase of the update on S4 I9506. Anything could happen. I hope only for the best. But its been quite tiring for me waiting for at least a 4.4.2 update.

Balsam
by Community Lead ‎16-06-2014 10:24 PM

Hi @mubeen_94 ,

Welcome to the Community :smileyhappy:

Alway good to hear from new members... that's what we're all about in here.

I hear what you're saying about the updates, I'm waiting for KitKat on my Note 3 just as eagerly as you are on your S4. Unfortunately, there's not a lot we can do about it, and there's not a lot Vodafone can do either.

As much as we read about updates being released in other parts of the world, in most cases, they're not relevant to us here in Australia. We have our own network conditions and concerns, and this means we have to wait until Samsung supply the Australian carriers with an appropriate update. Vodafone (and other Australian carriers) need to ensure that certain things will work on our networks before they can release an update, and because they don't develop the software, there's nothing they can do until Samsung supplies it.

To this end, you will generally find that none of the other carriers in Australia have the updates we are waiting for either. Most of the time, all the carriers release updates at around the same time (Vodafone are usually the first to release, as they are pretty good with their testing).

If you want to learn more about Android updates, here's a link to a great series of articles:

http://community.vodafone.com.au/t5/Vodafone-Blog/The-Android-Software-Journey-Part-1/ba-p/269831

I hope that sheds some light on the process for you, but please feel free to ask any questions you like here in the Community. There's normally someone around that can help you out.

Cheers,

Balsaqm

lorry
by lorry ‎17-06-2014 06:47 PM
Meh, pffft, whatever, blah blah blah! Action not words! Is what has always been the problem with the software updates in Australia, the fact is we're not anywhere close to the population Samsung wise compared to many other countries whom will always be before Australia when it comes to not only software updates but almost everything regarding tech and media. Samsung needs to listen to its Australian customers or there will be a backlash and Samsung sales will be affected sooner or later, a perfect example is the fact that I have a Samsung galaxy s4 active i9295 and it's still on jelly bean 4.2 !! I wholely blame Samsung even though I think they're really the most innovative smartphone brand currently in the world, that being said there's no excuse for their substandard support of software updates even to their latest flagship phones! They really really need to pay attention and be more concerned about their Australian market because options other than Samsung are going to fill the gaping hole in support that Samsung is just letting themselves get complacent about! HEY SAMSUNG! THINK ABOUT THE LITTLE GUYS TOO!!
hamu_chikani
by ‎17-06-2014 07:24 PM
Both Vodafone and Samsung S*cks! One thing is for sure....my next phone won't be Samsung!
kjmci
by Community Expert ‎17-06-2014 07:54 PM

Good luck getting your updates sooner from another carrier @hamu_chikani. No, seriously - good luck.

If you can find an Australia carrier who gets their updates out consistently sooner and with better communication than Vodafone, more power to you. 

Balsam
by Community Lead ‎17-06-2014 10:19 PM

@lorry ,

Can you let us know which phone manufacturer puts Australia as a priority for software updates?

You are correct, Samsung puts a low priority on Australia, but so do all the manufacturers. As much as it isn't what we want to hear, Australia is a minor player in the world market. For Samsung, HTC, Sony, or even Apple, losing a few customers in Oz due to delayed software updates doesn't even register on their balance sheet.

So you say Samsung are the most innovative smartphone brand, but you are dumping them because software updates are delayed... which brand are you going to buy that is also innovative and also prioritises Australian updates?

Don't get me wrong... I am hanging out for KitKat on my Note 3 as well, but I acknowledge the deficiencies of living in Australia, and realise that a few Australians whinging will not even get a response from the major phone manufacturers, let alone speed up the process.

Cheers,

Balsam

Toan
by ‎18-06-2014 12:55 AM

This is about the update.

Hi, I get notice that I cant discuss modify/root/... in this forum. What happen if I use the pc companion to reinstall the firmware? I think the pc companion will load the firmware from Sony and it will not include the Vodafone app/mod inside. If I had to reinstall my xperia Z2 by pc companion then install Vodafone app, is it still count ok?(warranty,furture update....)

lorry
by lorry ‎18-06-2014 01:28 AM
Hey maybe! Here's an idea! What if more people could give a care about voicing their concerns and frustrations or as you put it (whinging) to the manufacturer's then it would most likely be of more benefit than idleness(you know! Just sitting on your hands talking loud and saying nothing) If you Care than it most certainly matters to that person. Being dismissive is nothingness! Just an empty void. 🐢
Stats
  • 27 Comments
  • 2 Kudos
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?