blog-software.jpg
Lawrence_S

Software Update Weekly Wrap - 10th April 2014

by Device Portfolio Manager ‎10-04-2014 02:50 PM - edited ‎17-04-2014 10:17 AM
Device Portfolio Manager

We know how much you love to have the latest software on your phone and we love to get it to you. But, we can't always get it to you as quickly as you'd like. What we can do is keep you in the loop throughout the process. This weekly wrap is our way of doing that.

Stuff you need to know about software updates

Just as we don't make the phones we sell, we don't code the software that runs on them. We do some testing to make sure they work as we expect them to, but that's all there is to our part in the process.

Software updates are complicated, and there's a lot of moving parts to take into account (enough to fill three whole blog posts). But that's for us to worry about, not you.
We'll do the hard work behind the scenes like chasing our suppliers and doing the testing. The easy stuff is letting you know how we're progressing, and that's where this post and the table below comes in.

News from overseas

All the info we have on the updates we know about is below. Keep in mind though that this just for us here at Vodafone AU.
What happens overseas doesn't apply locally, so that info on a UK release or news about Android 4.4 KitKat you read on the web won't be coming to your phone straight away.
As soon as we hear news though, this is the place to read all about it. I'll be back for you again next week so stay tuned if what you're looking for isn't here yet.

What's in the labs?

Device models which are listed in bold type indicate a change from last week:

ManufacturerModelUpdateStatus
HTCDesire 310Android 4.2.2Available now.
HTCDesire 601Android 4.4Awaiting software for testing.
HTCOne Mini (M4)Android 4.4In testing.
HTCOne (M8)Android 4.4.2 (Quick maintenance release)In testing.
HuaweiG526Android 4.1.2Awaiting software for testing.
HuaweiPocket WiFi 4G (R215)V3.1Available now.
SamsungE3300E3300DUML1/ E3300VAUNA1Maintenance release cancelled, awaiting new software for testing.
SamsungGalaxy NexusAndroid 4.3Available now.
SamsungGalaxy Note 2Android 4.4Awaiting software for testing.
SamsungGalaxy Note 3Android 4.4Awaiting software for testing.
SamsungGalaxy S3 (LTE)Android 4.3 (Knox/Gear)Testing finished. Awaiting final approval.
SamsungGalaxy S4Android 4.4Awaiting software for testing.
SamsungGalaxy S4 MiniAndroid 4.2.2 (Knox/Gear)Testing finished. Awaiting final approval.
SamsungGalaxy S4 (Cat 4)Android 4.3 (Knox/Gear)Available now.
SamsungGalaxy S4 (Cat 4)Android 4.4Awaiting software for testing.
SonyXperia M (C1904)Android 4.3 (Feature release 2)FOTA testing failed. Pending Sony investigation
SonyXperia SPAndroid 4.3 (Quick maintenance release)Testing finished. Awaiting final approval.
SonyXperia TXAndroid 4.3 (quick maintenance release)FOTA testing failed. Pending Sony investigation
SonyXperia ZAndroid 4.4Awaiting software for testing.
NokiaLumia 625WP8.1 BlueAwaiting software for testing.
NokiaLumia 720WP8.1 BlueAwaiting software for testing.
NokiaLumia 820WP8.1 BlueAwaiting software for testing.
NokiaLumia 925WP8.1 BlueAwaiting software for testing.
NokiaLumia 1320WP8.1 BlueAwaiting software for testing.

Want to stay up to date?

We can let you know when the Software Update is published on our blog each week. If you’re not already a member of the Community, then you can create an account, or sign in using Facebook, from the links at the top of the page.

CommunityRegistration.PNG

Once you’re signed up, or if you’re already a member, make sure you’re signed in then follow this link and click on click on 'Subscribe to this label', just below the Community search bar. We'll send you an email or PM as soon as the software update is published each week.

Got questions?
We've got answers! Post any questions or comments below, and we'll be able to help you out.

Comments
JulianBravo
by JulianBravo ‎11-04-2014 12:50 PM

Xperia M (c1904) que paso y ahora :-(

SimgeYıldız
by SimgeYıldız ‎12-04-2014 05:44 AM

Still nothing for S4 LTE... Most of my friends over the world have KitKat but I'm still waiting...

I think I will never buy a phone from Vodafone again :smileyfrustrated:

kjmci
by Community Expert ‎12-04-2014 06:53 AM

Hey @SimgeYıldız I'm guessing that you have the standard Galaxy S4 (not the 4G with Cat 4 version). Just confirming that your model number is GT-i9505? 

I've had a quick look at a site which catalogues firmware releases for Samsung phones. Then I took a look at Telstra and Optus' software update info, hey're not as detailed as Vodafone's is (I mean, at least Vodafone have confirmed the update is coming - looking at the other two it's like it doesn't exist), but it looks the KitKat update has not been prepared for anybody in Australia yet. I mean, even the standard S4 that isn't sold by carriers doesn't have the update yet. 

I'm not sure boycotting Vodafone is really going to help you get your updates any faster as it seems the entire of Australia is in the same boat. 

Maybe Samsung could give you some info as to why Australia hasn't received it yet? 

Charlotte
by Help and Support ‎12-04-2014 09:43 AM

Hey @SimgeYıldız

We're waiting for the software from Samsung, once we get it we'll test it out and release it to you. We'll continue keeping you updating here on our blog.

Nian
by ‎12-04-2014 02:06 PM

I was curious to see what the Note 3 was up to around the world and lo and behold, Even VODAFONE SOUTH AFRICA has Kitkat released. What the hell are you guys doing? Get your act together, this is disgraceful.

abrar_a
by abrar_a ‎12-04-2014 04:06 PM
I dont really think Vodafone AUs fault, no other carriers in Australia has rolled out this update yet. Mainly because Samsung has not provided them with the OS yet. (Although US and UK have had this for over a month now). Althought this is a bit dissapointing, whoevers fault this might be, on the bright side for SGS4 users, the 4.4.2 update Only features very small changes in the UI which is hard to notice. We are not going to get the latest Touchwiz like we saw on the galaxy S5.
kjmci
by Community Expert ‎12-04-2014 05:40 PM

"I was curious to see what the Note 3 was up to around the world and lo and behold, Even VODAFONE SOUTH AFRICA has Kitkat released. What the hell are you guys doing? Get your act together, this is disgraceful." - @Nian 

Found any Australian releases in your search? No? Me either. 

Nobody in Australia has released it, not even Samsung. Why is it Vodafone that need to get their act together? You can chat with Samsung over here

Nian
by ‎12-04-2014 11:02 PM

Hardly a good point, it just means that even South African telco's have more push in regards to Samsung and firmware releases. Not exactly good for Australia is it.

You to seem to ignore the fact that its not up to the users to push for faster releases, its Vodafones duty to ensure that they are ready in a timely manner, not months late. To me, the delays are poor form.

Do I excuse the other Australian telco's for their tardy releases? hardly, but I'm not using their service, am I! To me, this is showing pure contempt to Australian residents. Its like we don't deserve to be treated like other developed countries.

kjmci
by Community Expert ‎13-04-2014 12:31 AM - edited ‎13-04-2014 12:37 AM

As a nation of around 47 million people, @Nian, I'm not surprised that Samsung are prioritising South Africa over Australia. This ensures they reach the greatest number of people the quickest amount of time. And sure, I agree, I bet that with over double the purchasing power of the Australian market that South African carriers would definitely have more push.

Vodafone have shown time, and time, and time, and time again that they will do everything in their power to push manufacturers for software updates. They even put pressure (successfully) on Samsung to "un-cancel" the Jelly Bean update for the GALAXY Nexus. Their track record is damned exemplary in this matter. 

In all my time on these forums I've never once had a good answer to the question of what more you expect Vodafone (or Telstra, or Optus for that matter) to do when manufacturers advise them that their build of software is not ready yet.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter. How should a carrier push for faster releases? What tools do they have in their kit to force a manufacturer to give them something which doesn't currently exist? I'm all ears. 

EDIT: I thought you didn't want the update anyway? Why the change of heart?

Caitlin
by Help and Support ‎13-04-2014 10:12 AM

Hey @Nian 

We're still waiting to receive the update to start testing. As soon as we've got it from Samsung, we'll work through the testing as quickly as possible to start rolling it out!

Jackau
by Jackau ‎13-04-2014 11:33 PM - edited ‎13-04-2014 11:36 PM

will the HTC 8X be on the list to recieve WP 8.1? all Nokia devices are on list even the inferior in specs 720/625 is..

:smileyhappy:

I am surprised that voda actually put out a detail list like this, as of this stage, voda is the best telco in declaring whats being tested and whats not amongst its entire lineup. Sign of positive moves for Voda in communicating to the increasingly tech aware customers.

Brad_F
by Help and Support ‎14-04-2014 11:19 AM

Hey @Jackau,

Jackau wrote:
I am surprised that voda actually put out a detail list like this

We love to keep everyone in the loop.

Jackau wrote:
will the HTC 8X be on the list to recieve WP 8.1?

We'll be able to update you on this one if/when we get in in for testing. So, keep an eye on our Weekly Wraps and you'll be first to know.

djwillpower
by djwillpower ‎16-04-2014 12:58 AM

My problem with the delay on the Note 3 upgrade is with the fact that my phone doesnt work as described. I can not use bluetooth connected to my car stereo without it dropping out (yes my device is supported)

But my main problem is, if i am using google maps with voice navigation, the first few seconds of deirections are silent so i dont know where to go. I'm guessing it's a problem with a type of intenal audio switch/control.

The 4.4.2 upgrade is said to fix this. I cant really wait any longer as these are 2 important features my phone must have.

Do i return my phone?

tpr91
by tpr91 ‎16-04-2014 11:24 AM
god I hope the HTC one mini kitkat software update is available for download come the next software weekly wrap. been waiting for ages! is this a joke
Caitlin
by Help and Support ‎16-04-2014 12:50 PM

Hey @djwillpower 

We wanted to run through a little more detail around the troubles you're having. We've started up a new thread for you over here so we can run through a little bit of troubleshooting.

SimgeYıldız
by SimgeYıldız ‎16-04-2014 04:34 PM

Hey @kjmci I have the GT-i9505 4G LTE.

I mean in the other countries, like Turkey, most of my friends who also has GT-i9505 already update to Kitkat. I live in North Cyprus and my phone comes from Australia Vodafone. The Jelly Bean 4.3 update was very fast but this time we are still waiting.

Anyway, I think I have to ask Samsung about this..

Stats
  • 16 Comments
  • 0 Kudos
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?