Andrew_T

Samsung Galaxy S II update (Android 2.3.5)

by Social Media Team ‎07-12-2011 10:30 AM
Social Media Team

An update for the Samsung Galaxy S II to Android 2.3.5 (I9100TDUKJ1) is now available via Samsung KIES or through your phone using FOTA.

Benefits of this release for the Samsung Galaxy S II?

This software includes Gingerbread 2.3.5 update.
Other updates include:

• Vodafone Updates application
  • Good Food Guide 2012
  • Navigon
  • Samsung Music Hub

How can I get this update for my Samsung Galaxy S II?

Two ways:
1. Update via connecting your smartphone to your computer (PC) and running the latest Samsung KIES to update
2. Update via FOTA (Firmware Over The Air)

Just to note

• The update is available free of charge, however it will require internet connection on your PC to download and install the new update via Samsung Kies
  • You’ll need to back up all mobile phone data via Samsung Kies before performing the upgrade
  • It’s recommended that you have a full battery when upgrading

How big is this file size?

• Approx.  1,003 MB  (update via Kies) 
  • Approx.  96 MB (update via FOTA)

What are the technical details?

Android Version:

Baseband Version:

I9100TDUKJ1

Kernel Version:

2.6.35.7-I9100TDUKJ1-CL687461 root@DELL136 #2

Build Number:

GINGERBREAD.DUKJ1

Comments
Sung_Hoon_Kim
by Sung_Hoon_Kim ‎07-12-2011 05:48 PM

Other than updating the application, can you list down what are the fixes in this release?

Brett_Edwards
by Brett_Edwards ‎07-12-2011 06:09 PM

I have downloaded this new update and my phone is constantly restarting, it won't stay online long enough to do anything. Any idea what the issue might be?

Keat
by Keat ‎08-12-2011 02:52 AM

Any chance for gingerbread 2.3.5 update for HTC Evo 3D?

lucpet
by lucpet ‎08-12-2011 04:01 AM

Kies updated and now wont connect. I'm trying Check for update and seems to be working anyone know why usb and kies doesn't want to connect?

E_
by E_ ‎08-12-2011 04:11 AM

Is there any information on how FOTA works and how to get the update to work for those of us who don't use kies?

Rod1
by Rod1 ‎08-12-2011 05:51 AM

I too have downloaded this new update, initially it worked fine but after I switched Bluetooth on the phone now constantly restarts over and over. It won't stay on long enough to do anything, e.g. I can't switch off Bluetooth. All I can do is shut the phone down down manually. As soon as I start the phone again it continues to restart over and over.

Matt41
by Matt41 ‎08-12-2011 05:53 AM

There is a high possibility this update will cause the phone to go into continuous reboot. The fix is to factory reset the phone.
Make sure you have backed everything up before upgrading. (it happened to me )
The phone does seem to run better with this update.

Performing a factory data reset using phone buttons
1.Turn off SGS2.
2.Press and hold down Volume Up + Home + Power buttons at the same time.
3.Release all buttons when you see SGS2 Logo.
4.Android system recovery will be loaded then.
5.Select wipe data/factory reset. (Volume buttons to go up or down, select with Home button)
6.Select Yes — delete all user data.
7.Finally, select reboot system now.
http://www.jayceooi.com/2011/07/18/how-to-hard-reset-samsung-galaxy-s-ii/

keith85
by keith85 ‎08-12-2011 06:06 AM

i have 2.3.3 and tried to update but it says no update available

Adrian15
by Adrian15 ‎08-12-2011 06:13 AM

yeah, after this update. my SGS2 just wont let me call OR txt.. it doesnt even have a Vodafone signal saying to connect sim. sim is working on my backup fone so its not a sim issue.
When I tried to restart fone, I got:
The application Messaging (processcom.android.mms) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again Force close
When I tried to check something about the settings on the fone, I got:
The application Settings (processcom.android.settings) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again Force close
I may have to do a hard reset for this.. very disappointing

Andrew_Tran
by Andrew_Tran ‎08-12-2011 07:54 AM

Hi Keith, Thanks for the comment. have you tried uninstalling, then reinstalling Samsung KIES on your PC? Cheers AT

amos
by amos ‎08-12-2011 08:55 AM

This is ridiculous - I just called Vodafone support and they are not aware of this upgrade or how to do FOTA upgrade.
How come you publish this on your public blog before your own support people are aware of it and can provide help about it?

Bruno
by Help and Support ‎08-12-2011 11:21 AM

Hi Amos, You can perform a FOTA upgrade from the setting menu of your phone. Simply go to settings>about phone>software update>check for update You will need to register a Samsung account, them simply follow the prompts to perform the update. If you have any more questions about the update, head over to the Vodafone Community forum on our website. There are heaps of people with great information there to help you out. Cheers, -Bruno.

James_Lee
by James_Lee ‎08-12-2011 05:17 PM

What's the difference btw updating via Kies & FOTA? The size of update via Kies is over 10 times the size of update via FOTA

Alan_Nona
by Alan_Nona ‎08-12-2011 07:13 PM

Thanks guys works perfect for me!

Lexus
by Lexus ‎09-12-2011 02:48 AM

I think there may be a typo in the article in the approximate file size for the update via Kies.
"Approx. 1,003 MB (update via Kies)"
"Approx. 96 MB (update via FOTA)"
Am I right in thinking the first quote should read as "Approx. 103 MB (update via Kies)"?

Sam43
by Sam43 ‎09-12-2011 03:50 AM

Hi, I have a Galaxy S II on the 3 Network and Have tried to update my phone through kies which seems to think this update doesnt exist. I have made sure I have the most up to date version and uninstalled and reinstalled and still the update is not avaliable and updating over the air does not work
any suggestions or thoughts?
Thanks

sam2011syd
by sam2011syd ‎09-12-2011 04:07 AM

Hi "Technical Team",
I always wonder why you branded the phone and then try to develop your own firmware while Samsung do the same thing for international version (i9100 not stupid i9100T) and then here I have to see people complain about bugs in this release.
Samsung is working on the Android 4 for SGS2 and now we have buggy 2.3.5 THANKS Vodafone for all the pain.
No wonder lots of people I know changing to other providers.

Jonathan9
by Jonathan9 ‎09-12-2011 05:06 AM

Ever since the update my phone randomly switches flight mode on and off. Very annoying when in the middle of calls

keith85
by keith85 ‎09-12-2011 05:34 AM

hi andrew did that and still kies says updated to newest firmware. could it possibly be the fact the phone is a optus handset but using my vodafone sim.

Rod1
by Rod1 ‎09-12-2011 05:45 AM

Thanks Matt that worked for me too: I followed the instructions for a factory data reset using the phone buttons and the phone seems to be working normally again now. Thankfully I backed up my contacts etc beforehand (as that stuff is wiped with a factory data reset).

Andrew_Tran
by Andrew_Tran ‎09-12-2011 06:42 AM

Hi Lexus, I just double checked with the team, it is 1003MB. Basicall with KIES you're doing a full reflash image of your SGS 2, whereas the FOTA update only install what's changed. Hope this helps. Cheers AT

Andrew_Tran
by Andrew_Tran ‎09-12-2011 06:44 AM

Hi Keith, Ah that's most likely why! You'll need to wait the update from Optus to be released before you can update. Cheers AT

Adrian14
by Adrian14 ‎09-12-2011 08:28 AM

even with the hard reset, it still will force close the messaging app. it does not even let me make any emergency calls.. after the hard reset, i got the green android on my screen and tells me to touch it but wont proceed any further...
this is getting annoying.. no phone for 2 days now.. any help would be much appreicated. thanks

Simon16
by Simon16 ‎09-12-2011 01:27 PM

Hi,
My SGS2 is on the was purchased on the 3 network but now has a vodafone sim. I am unable to get this update either via Kies or FOTA. any ideas?
Cheers
Simon

Jay_G
by Jay_G ‎09-12-2011 03:53 PM

Ok so I was looking forward to this update but seems to be really screwing people over :/
I have one question for...
Matt says: There is a high possibility this update will cause the phone to go into continuous reboot. The fix is to factory reset the phone.
Is that before or after the update? (I assume after)
and for Andrew Tran:
If this update screws up my phone and makes it buggy/bricked will Vodafone fix the phone??? It's insured and gotten through vodafone and thus should be but Im worried about the below comment:
Amos says:
This is ridiculous – I just called Vodafone support and they are not aware of this upgrade
Cheers
Jay