Kieran

Samsung GALAXY S III - Android 4.1.1 Update

by Subject Matter Expert ‎24-11-2012 10:10 AM
Subject Matter Expert

Update 19/12/2012:

Great news! Samsung have confirmed that they have opened up availability of this upgrade early.

Keep in mind not everybody can update at once, so don't stress if it doesn't appear immediately. A detailed release schedule can be found in our Support Page.

Update 18/12/2012:

A fix for the issue below is ready to go! Whether you've already upgraded to Jelly Bean or are still on Ice Cream Sandwich, all users will be included in this update.

Samsung have now confirmed that the release will begin again at 1:00PM (AEDT) on Friday 21st December 2012 (Mayan apocalypse notwithstanding).

It will follow the same 14-day release schedule described in this Support Page.

Update 28/11/2012:

Some users who have upgraded over the air are seeing that contact names are no longer displayed in applications like Messages or Call Logs.

Because of this, a decision has been made by Samsung and Vodafone to temporarily halt the roll out of this update.

If you need a hand, or are facing any issues: we're here to help. Let's chat.

Original Post:

For all of our GALAXY S III customers out there, I've got some news that should make for a happy Friday (but an anxious weekend of waiting).

Shortly after 1:00PM on Monday 26th November 2012 (AEDT) – Samsung will begin rolling out Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean to your phones.

This will make you among the first Australian GALAXY S III owners to receive this eagerly awaited update! But, it is released in batches so not everybody can update at the same time.

Sit tight though, everyone will have access to the update within 14 days. A detailed release schedule can be found in our Support Page.

There are heaps of new features like the predictive magic of Google Now and some great performance improvements thanks to Google's "Project Butter". Some small bugs and glitches have also been addressed.

The update is available either using Wireless Upgrade (OTA) or by synchronising with Samsung Kies.

Where to now?

Learn more

Visit our Support Knowledgebase for detailed info on what’s included in this update how and you can install it to your device.

Need help?

The Vodafone Community is a great place to get help from other customers and our Help & Support Team, or just share your favourite thing about the update.

Book in for a service

If you don’t feel comfortable installing the update yourself, or experience an issue after the upgrade our Service Centre can help. Find out how to book your device in for a service.

Give us a call

If you’d prefer to speak to us over the phone, our Technical Support Team is here to assist. View our contact details and current wait times.

Where have the comments gone?

So that everybody's getting the good news about the roll out of this update restarting, we have republished this news item.

We'd love for you to join in the discussion but to keep everything in the one place, let's have a chat over on the new post.

Comments
Brodie
by Brodie ‎24-11-2012 10:41 AM

Woohoo can't wait, thanks for the regular updates and putting up with everyone Kieran... Now, when is 4.1.2?? haha.

Darren12
by Darren12 ‎24-11-2012 10:44 AM

Finally... Thanks Kieran. We'll hope we can see the 4.1.2 soon..

DarrenB
by DarrenB ‎24-11-2012 11:05 AM

up to 14 days? hmmm...

Spike
by Spike ‎24-11-2012 11:22 AM

up to 14 days? How many S3s do they have on the network?
And what about the people who want to do the update straight away compared to the people who will take 6 months to do the update?

Tish_1
by Tish_1 ‎24-11-2012 11:25 AM

It's gonna be a long weekend

Brodie
by Brodie ‎24-11-2012 11:44 AM

I think you lose your update slot if you don't update within a certain time period, thereby making room for others, might be wrong but I think that's how it works.

lucas_1
by lucas_1 ‎24-11-2012 12:21 PM

no news on any further support for the s2?

Mayank
by Mayank ‎25-11-2012 04:13 AM

Just a quick question...
On your support page - http://support.vodafone.com.au/articles/FAQ/Samsung-Galaxy-S-III-Android-4-1-1-Jelly-Bean-Update
the size of the update is 1.4GB via Kies and it is under 300MB via OTA. Ca you please explain why???

Greg29
by Greg29 ‎25-11-2012 07:24 AM

Does the Release happen to a phone number, or to an actual phone? For example, I have a 3 company S3's, and update is available on one of them, am I able to put the sim of that phone into another phone and get the update that way? Reason I ask is that I am going OS on holidays towards the end of that week and would like to do the update before I go.

Netsky
by Netsky ‎25-11-2012 09:27 AM

I would also like to know why there are two different sizes.

Sam61
by Sam61 ‎25-11-2012 09:56 AM

were can i get vodafones 4.0.4 fireware for my galaxy s3 so i can get jelly bean on my s3

Smtih
by Smtih ‎25-11-2012 05:49 PM

My guess is that from kies you need to do a complete update, while OTA you can do an incremental update.

Smtih
by Smtih ‎25-11-2012 05:53 PM

Do the slot restrictions apply if you plan to update via kies?

Maverick_1
by Maverick_1 ‎25-11-2012 06:11 PM

Haha, this is a real joke. The update for GSIII arrives, but still no update for Galaxy Nexus. I predicted this months ago. Congratulations Samsung for playing such a dirty game. You knew that if GN is updated, then no one would buy GSIII with an older version of Android. This is ridiculous!!!!!
This is also a shame for Vodafone. That's when my contract ended this month, I didn't renew it and ported my number to another carrier (not a contract anymore though, sick of being on contract). I was on a $69 plan and already got 2 other $29 plans with Voda. I will certainly not renew them as well. So, congrats Voda, you have already lost a customer with 3 active plans worth about $120 per month.

Roger
by Community Lead ‎26-11-2012 06:55 AM

Bob: bit of a long winded statement, you have every right to change carriers. But based on a software update alone? Really? I think some research needs to be done into why jelly-bean has not been released for the handset in question. The answers are out there: To say that this is a deliberate move by Samsung to boost sales of a SGS3 is complete nonsense.
To answer a few of the other questions here:
OTA vs KIES update:
OTA update is smaller in size as its not a complete reload of the new firmware like with a KIES image: Think of it as purchasing windows 7 home edition and buying an upgrade to pro: The core integration is still there but you just end up with new features and some other enhancements.
KIES update completely re-flashes the handset: Think of it as building your own computer and buying an operating system to load onto the hard drive. For me personally this my preferred method: Its also a bit like reformatting your hard drive and starting again, just some data is retained.
*****If you update via KIES make sure you have the latest version installed, good idea to do this before Monday*****
The release of the update happens to the actual phone.... regardless of what network you are on with your Vodafone sgs3.

Crystal1
by Crystal1 ‎26-11-2012 08:22 AM

I'm really disappointed in Samsung and Verizon. I got my Galaxy SIII on November 1st, its been HELL ever since. I'm having to call the Verizon 800 # almost daily since then. I really hope this update fixes my speakerphone issues. I'm crossing my fIngers.

vchandm23
by vchandm23 ‎26-11-2012 08:52 AM

I dont why you guys take so long to do it. Very bad service, this is not iPhone mate.... Got to keep changing quickly with Google. Android 4.2 is out and we are slowly thinking and feeling happy for this release. Vodafone sucks.

Mouhamad
by Mouhamad ‎26-11-2012 09:05 AM

FINALLY!... I hope im one of the 10,000 thats are suppose to get the update first.

Julia_1
by Julia_1 ‎26-11-2012 03:58 PM

Kieran, how do you download the update from live.Vodafone.com in order for it not to come out of your data? I tried but couldn't find where.Will it not work the same if I go through settings then click software update?

matt21
by matt21 ‎26-11-2012 05:18 PM

heyy how will it not cost me and if it dose i will be calling up because it says it free here

shokky
by shokky ‎26-11-2012 05:36 PM

It don't cost anything for ota updates. Just go settings about device and software update

Smtih
by Smtih ‎26-11-2012 06:15 PM

As long as your APN (in mobile settings) is set to use the vodafone one (and not a generic optus one) then you won't be charged for data when the update appears in your phone (or manually by going settings -> about phone -> update)

Julia_1
by Julia_1 ‎27-11-2012 03:32 AM

Thanks guys.

Kieran
by Subject Matter Expert ‎27-11-2012 04:52 AM

Hi Crystal, it's a shame to hear you're facing some issues with your speakerphone but I'm afraid I won't be able to help too much from here in Australia. Your best bet would be to chat with our friends in the Verizon Wireless Community.

Kieran
by Subject Matter Expert ‎27-11-2012 04:54 AM

Hi vchandm23, although 4.2 has been released for a handful of phones the update hasn't been ported to the GALAXY S III hardware. I'd love to see 4.2 on your phone, but we can't release something that doesn't exist yet. I hope you enjoy the 4.1.1 update for your GALAXY S III. From all reports it's a great release and I'm pleased that we are the first carrier in Australia to make it available to customers.

Stats
  • 542 Comments
  • 0 Kudos
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?