Kieran

Samsung GALAXY S II - Android 4.0.3 Update

by Subject Matter Expert ‎02-05-2012 05:49 AM
Subject Matter Expert

Why haven't I received my update yet?

The short answer is that the update is released in stages.

An initial group of devices are selected at random and offered the update. This lasts for 3 days, Samsung use this process to ensure the update is being released succesfully and that the servers are delivering the update properly.

After those 3 days the update is available to all users when doing a manual check for updates, but once 10% of devices have received the update access is stopped for the remainder of the day. This is to ensure servers aren't overloaded and that those who get the update receive it succesfully.

After 10 days (that's 10% per day) everyone has had access and the update is available freely to everyone to download.

It's around 14 days from the initial release before every device will see the update as available.

Please see the table below for specific details on the roll out:

• Day 1-3: 10,000 users will receive a notification to advise the software is available. The roll out will be monitored to ensure that server performance is maintained.
  • Day 4-13: The software will be made available to all users, however it is only available up to a maximum download volume representing 10% of the total installed userbase per day
  • Day 14 onwards: The update is broadly available to all users via either Kies or FOTA

From 12:00 (midday) today, 2nd May 2012 – Samsung will began rolling out the Android 4.0.3 “Ice Cream Sandwich” update for the GALAXY S II handset.

This is a platform upgrade and will change the way you experience and interact with your device. For more information about the interface changes introduced in this update, please contact Samsung Customer Care on 1300 362 603 or via any of the methods listed on here on their website.

What's included in the update?

Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" introduces a many new fetures, bug fixes and enhancements, including:

• Speed and performance enhancements
  • Folders of your favourite apps right on your homescreen
  • Improved keyboard input and error correction
  • Face Unlock - unlock your phone with a smile
  • Data Usage Meter
  • Improved voice detection including voice typing
  • Enhanced multitasking interface
  • Resizable homescreen widgets

Things to do before you upgrade your software

• Ensure your device is fully charged before attempting to upgrade.
  • Remember to back up any important information prior to the performing the upgrade

How do I install the update? (For Vodafone-branded Devices)

This update is available using either Samsung's Firmware Over-the-Air (FOTA) update platform or the Samsung Kies PC companion software. This means you have the choice of not using a PC to perform the update.

Updating via FOTA

You can check for updates by navigating on your phone to Settings > About Phone > Software Update > Check for Update

• The update is available free of charge, and should you choose to download it using 3G data within Australia and while using a Vodafone SIM card, the data will not be deducted from your monthly allowance.
  • If you update your device while on any roaming network, or you use a non-Vodafone AU SIM card, you will be charged at your applicable data rate.
  • A full PDF guide for performing the upgrade is available by clicking on this link.
  • The update is approximately 225MB in size when completed via FOTA

Updating via Samsung Kies

Before getting under way, please ensure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of Samsung Kies

• The update is available free of charge, however you will need an internet connection on your PC to download and install both Kies and the update itself.
  • Please plug your phone directly into your computer via USB and not via a USB hub or repeater.
  • The update is approximately 1050MB in size when completed via Kies
  • A full PDF guide for performing the back up, software upgrade, and data restoration process is available by clicking on this link.

What are the technical details?

Android Version:

Baseband Version:

I9100TDULP4

Kernel Version:

3.0.15-I9100TDULP9-CL422302 dpi@DELL149 #3

Build Number:

IML74K.DULP9

PDA:

I9100TDULP9

PHONE:

I9100TDULP4

CSC:

I9100TVAULP7

How do I install the update? (For 3-branded Devices)

For devices sold by 3 (regardless of the SIM card currently being used) the update is only available using the Samsung Kies PC companion software. This means you will require a PC to perform the update.

Updating via Samsung Kies

Before getting under way, please ensure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of Samsung Kies

• The update is available free of charge, however you will need an internet connection on your PC to download and install both Kies and the update itself.
  • Please plug your phone directly into your computer via USB and not via a USB hub or repeater.
  • The update is approximately 1040MB in size when completed via Kies
  • A full PDF guide for performing the back up, software upgrade, and data restoration process is available by clicking on this link.

What are the technical details?

Android Version:

Baseband Version:

I9100TDULP4

Kernel Version:

3.0.15-I9100TDULP9-CL422302 dpi@DELL 149 #3

Build Number:

IML74K.DULP9

PDA:

I9100TDULP9

PHONE:

I9100TDULP4

CSC:

I9100THUTLP7

If you need technical support

Our Technical Support teams are here to help should you experience any problems or do not feel comfortable in performing the update yourself.

They can be reached by calling 1555 from your Vodafone handset (or 1300 650 410 from any other line) or by posting on our Community Forums.

Important note: Please read before commenting.

We’re all about creating a safe, comfortable online community where everybody is treated with respect as outlined in our Vodafone social media user terms.

While most comments have been inline with our user terms, we’ve noticed several nasty comments that our moderators have had to delete.

Please note that any comments breaching our user terms will be deleted and repeat offenders will be blocked, as this is an all ages blog.

Comments
Samiual
by Samiual ‎02-05-2012 05:59 AM

Thanks Kieran For Good News...
Thank you Very Much.... I am very Happy to Read this....

SII_Devotee
by SII_Devotee ‎02-05-2012 06:01 AM

Kieran, Thanks for the update
Yay!!!
Good news comes to those who wait.

Damitha
by Damitha ‎02-05-2012 06:15 AM

Hi Kieran,
Thanks alot for your day to day update waiting till tomorrow to update I will give you the feed back.Hope everything should be fine

Percy
by Percy ‎02-05-2012 06:15 AM

"Unwrap something sweet for your Samsung GALAXY S II"
- Kieran McIlwain
Well said Kieran...finally there is answer to all those questions...thank you.
Could you please explain rolling out procedure? I mean can I upgrade the phone @12PM tomorrow? or Samsung takes a while to deliver the update to every handset?

vibees
by vibees ‎02-05-2012 06:16 AM

finally wait is over...phewwwwww.. thanks a lot. is there any difference between updating via Kies and FOTA? because the size of update form Kies is 1050 MB and FOTA is only 225 MB.

Kieran_M
by Vodafone Blog ‎02-05-2012 06:20 AM

Hi Nick, the FOTA Update only updates those files that have changed. Updating via Kies reflashes the entire phone, so the entire OS must be downloaded.

Kieran_M
by Vodafone Blog ‎02-05-2012 06:22 AM

Hi Percy, the update should be immediately available via Kies but may be released progressively via FOTA.

LawStudent
by LawStudent ‎02-05-2012 06:25 AM

Good to hear Kieran,
Is there any downside at all for doing the FOTA update (other than that it takes longer over a 3G connection than through a PC), perhaps a total reflash through KIES is better for the phone, reduces the chances of a software error?
and have you any idea on how long a FOTA update would take? I know that it depends on how strong your 3G connection is, but perhaps a rough time based on VF's average 3G speeds?
Also does anyone else on here have trouble connecting their S2 to Kies on a mac?

Tu
by Tu ‎02-05-2012 06:26 AM

finally, here we go !

Jack2
by Jack2 ‎02-05-2012 06:26 AM

it doesn't show up on my devices and KIES so far.

Arthur_1
by Arthur_1 ‎02-05-2012 06:29 AM

Thanks Keiran,
That is useful to know.

Ramin
by Ramin ‎02-05-2012 06:31 AM

Hi Kieran,
Thanks mate for the great news. This blog has been very useful and I liked it a lot.

yangyun78
by yangyun78 ‎02-05-2012 06:38 AM

Hi Kieran,
Is the update available via Kies now? I tried in Kies few minutes ago and it still did not show up.

Brettm
by ‎02-05-2012 06:46 AM

because it's not available till 12pm >tomorrow< being the 2nd

Brettm
by ‎02-05-2012 06:48 AM

Again to quote the First line in the post "From 12:00 (midday) tomorrow, 2nd May 2012"

EpicRawr
by ‎02-05-2012 06:52 AM

Yea i have some problems with kies on mac but its okat replug a few times until it connects, cant wait for tommorow for the update but sad to because S3 comes out soon and i just got s2 but buy the looks of it s3 not way better than s2 just some randoms, camra and proc.

Kieran_M
by Vodafone Blog ‎02-05-2012 06:56 AM

Hi LawStudent, no real downside but you're right that Kies performs a full-flash of the phone. A rough time is tough to give, as everybody's experience will differ. The file size is provided - your best bet would be to perform a speedtest and work backwards from there! :smileyhappy:

Ian_2
by Ian_2 ‎02-05-2012 07:19 AM

Hi there,
Quick question. When updating via FOTA will any data on my phone be deleted? Therefore, is it necessary to back up all data?
Cheers

Resident_1
by Resident_1 ‎02-05-2012 07:36 AM

So expect some servers crashing from the load starting "From 12:00 (midday) tomorrow, 2nd May 2012"

Andrew72
by Andrew72 ‎02-05-2012 07:39 AM

hi hi,
How much will the update cost and if its possible can i get it added to my monthly bill instead of going to a voda store to pay for it. The guy at vodafone where i live said he will update it for me tomorrow for $50 but i'd rather it be taken out as repayments as i cant afford $50 lump sum.
how do i set up software payment pls?

Stewart_Maloney
by Stewart_Maloney ‎02-05-2012 07:45 AM

Hi Kieran,
Just want to say thank you because in life people tend to be negative in these forums, particularily somepeople which don't need to be mentioned have really made some nasty threats....
I appreciate the update and the feedback along the way.
Keep up the good work,

Percy
by Percy ‎02-05-2012 07:55 AM

Thanks Kieran,
I guess I am bringing my laptop to work tomorrow. Can't delay a second longer...lol
Thanks for all ur help.
Cheers,

yangyun78
by yangyun78 ‎02-05-2012 08:21 AM

Thanks Kieran, You did a great job!!! This blog is a useful tool with your input.

Alex5
by Alex5 ‎02-05-2012 08:25 AM

Hey Josh this is a free update, if someone is telling you to pay for it i would be suspicous especially if they are actually from a vodafone store. Best contact customer care, or maybe Kieran can point you in the right direction.
To update from your actual Galaxy S2 the best way to go would be to go to 'Settings' then "About phone" and then 'Software update'. *Mentioned in the Release above*
As for Kies i am not personally sure of the update procedure, but again *Mentioned in the release above*

Kieran_M
by Vodafone Blog ‎02-05-2012 08:37 AM

Hi Alex and Josh, that's correct. As mentioned in the post above this is a free update (although you may attract usage charges dependant on how you physically download the update). If you have any further queries I'd recommend posting a thread in our Community Forums where our Help & Support team can assist further: http://community.vodafone.com.au/t5/iPhone-and-Android/bd-p/iphonedroid

Stats
  • 299 Comments
  • 0 Kudos
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?