Kieran

Samsung GALAXY Note - Android 4.0.4 Update

by Subject Matter Expert ‎07-08-2012 09:19 AM
Subject Matter Expert

From 1:00pm, 7th August 2012 – Samsung will begin rolling out the Android Ice Cream Sandwich platform upgrade for GALAXY Note handsets sold by Vodafone in Australia.

The update is released in a staged process, which means not everybody can update at the same time.

This is a platform upgrade and will introduce a number of new features and enhancements. Some menu items have moved and the user interface has been refreshed.

For handsets sold by Vodafone, the update is available either via Firmware over-the-air (FOTA) or by synchronising with Samsung Kies.

Where to now?

Learn more

Click here to visit our Support Knowledgebase for full instructions on what’s included in this update and how to install it to your device.

Join the conversation

The Vodafone Community is a great place to get help from other customers and our Help & Support Team, or just share your favourite thing about the update.

Book in for a service

If you don’t feel comfortable installing the update yourself, our Service Centre can help. Find out how to book your device in for a service.

Give us a call

If you’d prefer to speak to us over the phone, our Technical Support Team is here to assist. View our contact details and current wait times.

Important note: Please read before commenting.

We’re all about creating a safe, comfortable online community where everybody is treated with respect as outlined in our Vodafone social media user terms.

While most comments have been inline with our user terms, we’ve noticed several nasty comments that our moderators have had to delete.

Please note that any comments breaching our user terms will be deleted and repeat offenders will be blocked, as this is an all ages blog.

Comments
Bowlzee
by Bowlzee ‎07-08-2012 09:24 AM

Does upgrading the device count towards my monthly data limit?

Kieran
by Subject Matter Expert ‎07-08-2012 09:27 AM

Hi Bowlzee, as outlined in the Support Article it will not count towards your monthly limit. If you are connected to any roaming network you'll be charged at your applicable data rate.

Bowlzee
by Bowlzee ‎07-08-2012 09:30 AM

Oops, Should have read the whole article! Thanks Kieran :smileyhappy:

Kieran
by Subject Matter Expert ‎07-08-2012 09:35 AM

Hi Bowlzee, no problem! Make sure you're primed and ready to check for updates at 1:00PM tomorrow. Those first 10,000 spots go quickly!

Sam37
by Sam37 ‎07-08-2012 09:39 AM

finally the update has arrived thanks Vodafone been waiting for it for a while now

Gary8
by Gary8 ‎07-08-2012 01:26 PM

finger cross for Xperia S for the next one to come

G_Hunt
by G_Hunt ‎07-08-2012 03:06 PM

Hi Kieran....I am with a Vodafone sim, however, my note is un-branded bought outright from Harvey Norman. Will I be able to utilise this ICS update....thanks in advance.

nikoolback
by nikoolback ‎08-08-2012 12:29 AM

Thanks Kieran, was waiting for this update for 4 months,but now ive got my hands on some tasty ics.

gjh
by gjh ‎08-08-2012 01:38 AM

well done voda. unfortunately I'm on telstra - they haven't even updated their update page in almost a month so still no word on when we may get ICS.

Joejoseph
by Joejoseph ‎08-08-2012 01:51 AM

Hi Kieran..
I am also a Harvey Norman purchaser... If you do allow us to download via Keis, is your Samsung and Vodafone update, tested by you both designed to work with a Vodafone sim and a HN un-branded purchased Galaxy Note?
Thanks Jeff

Kieran
by Subject Matter Expert ‎08-08-2012 02:34 AM

Hi Jeff and G Hunt, unfortunately we only have control over devices sold by Vodafone and our retail partners, and updates are allocated based on IMEI not SIM card. I'd recommend speaking with Samsung directly for details on how your device will be updated.

Sam61
by Sam61 ‎08-08-2012 02:45 AM

how come my samsung galaxy note is not getting Android 4.0.4 ICS Update and i got my mobile from vodafone

Kieran
by Subject Matter Expert ‎08-08-2012 02:48 AM

Hi Sam, the update isn't available yet. Check back after 1:00PM AEST.

Sam61
by Sam61 ‎08-08-2012 02:50 AM

so 1pm i can get the update and what are new stuff in ICS if i can know please

kylec
by ‎08-08-2012 03:41 AM

Very excited for this update. Long awaited :-D

austommy
by austommy ‎08-08-2012 06:07 AM

Wohoo! Downloading the update now. The phone will automatically pick up the update if you guys have auto-update turned on.

Sam61
by Sam61 ‎08-08-2012 08:42 AM

How come im not getting the update

Joejoseph
by Joejoseph ‎08-08-2012 10:08 AM

So after talking to Samsung Customer Support they say any fone brought from HARVEY NORMAN and which is then used on a Vodafone SIM Card will only be able to recieve that ICS update by their Vodafone account and this is what everyone would expect and that is why Samsung works with Vodafone to provide the update so that vendors like Harvey Norman should be included via the customers prefferred network provider like Vodafone.
More importantly by what you say is true I suspect NO-ONE will ever purchase a SAMSUNG fone from HARVEY NORMAN ever again as they will never be able to update their fones.
Well by rights this can't be true and i would suggest that Samsung and Vodafone and maybe Harvey Norman if you are listening, sought this out pronto or Harvey Norman and Samsung are going to lose massive sales as a result. Especially as in a few weeks samsung will be introducing the new Tab Note 10.1 and the new Note 2 fone. I would expect no-one will purchase them from Harvey Norman if they have no future updates available to Jelly Bean. Who would purchase a Samsung fone from Harvey Norman if they are never able to update their fones even though they use Vodafone as a network provider.
Can you please double check with Samsung/Vodafone and confirm your negative comment above....
Thanks jeff

Sam61
by Sam61 ‎08-08-2012 10:27 AM

Jeff i got my note from vodafone and i dont get the update

Ben24
by Ben24 ‎08-08-2012 10:35 AM

I havent got the update yet either :smileysad:
But as it says up the top "The update is released in a staged process, which means not everybody can update at the same time."
Hopefully it comes through soon. I'm so keen!

Kieran
by Subject Matter Expert ‎08-08-2012 11:13 AM

Hi Jeff, I can categorically confirm that the upgrade path is dependent on the firmware loaded into the phone and not the SIM card you're currently using with it. As an example, we released the Ice Cream Sandwich update today but if you used a Vodafone handset with the SIM card from another provider you will still receive the update today. I will however raise your concerns with our counterparts at Samsung regarding the information supplied to you by their Customer Support team. Unfortunately as the handset you have is not Vodafone stock I have no further information regarding the upgrade pathway for your device. That's not to say it won't be upgraded at some point, just not in-line with other Vodafone GALAXY Notes. Harvey Norman may also be able to provide some further information for you on the upgrade pathway for the devices they sell.

yeng
by yeng ‎08-08-2012 12:03 PM

I just finished updating my note to ics 4.0.4. Pop up play like the one in galaxy s3 is supposed to be included on this update for the note.....but can't seem to find it..

Sam37
by Sam37 ‎08-08-2012 12:55 PM

Hi Kieran, i would like to know would i get the update on my galaxy note as i have purchased my handset from crazy johns and Vodafone provides the network for them

georgesc
by georgesc ‎08-08-2012 02:08 PM

I got lucky and had it updated one hour over 1pm
very smooth, congrats
now, could you advice if the note would be at some point upgraded to Jelly Bean????
Note's "brothers" are already starting to move to JB
Cheers

bob2
by bob2 ‎08-08-2012 02:35 PM

Hey Kieran, my galaxy note says there is no update available to upgrade to ice cream sandwich. I tried through Kies on the computer but still no luck. I really want this update for I anticipated its coming for a long time. A quick reply would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Stats
  • 50 Comments
  • 0 Kudos
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?