Blog-Banner.jpg
Benoit_H

Our network issues today: the full story.

by Chief Technology Officer Benoit_H ‎19-06-2014 08:57 PM last edited ‎20-06-2014 04:57 PM by Social Media Manager
Chief Technology Officer

I want to say sorry to our customers for any network issues you experienced today and let you know exactly what happened.  At approximately 11.00am (AEST) services across Western Australia were impacted by a transmission network failure.

As we were restoring services at approximately 1.00pm (AEST), problems occurred which had an impact on our network nationally. 

By 4.10pm (AEST) all network services restored nationally except for data services in Western Australia, which were restored at 6.30pm (AEST).

To let our customers know how truly sorry we are, we are offering unlimited data usage within Australia this weekend, from midnight (AEST) Friday 20 June to 3am (AEST) Monday 23 June 2014.

Over the past three years we've completely rebuilt our 3G and 3G+ networks to ensure you have fast reliable mobile coverage. Last year, we launched a lightning-fast 4G network right around Australia. While no network can guarantee it will not experience issues from time to time, we're working to ensure it doesn't happen again. 

Again, thanks for your patience today.

Benoit

More information available here

Media Release available here

Comments
colby70000
by colby70000 ‎19-06-2014 09:16 PM - edited ‎19-06-2014 09:51 PM

Just wanna make sure soo this is anyone that is ether on a plan and on prepaid aswell that are the ones using just the internet via Pocket wifi and does this apply to just  3G or just 4G or both ? just wanna make sure don't wanna run out of data on my prepaid and will I get a alert about this to my mobile?

Kirsty
by Help and Support ‎19-06-2014 09:26 PM

Great question @colby70000 The unlimited data is for both our prepaid and our plan customer, so you can download to your heart's content, and not run out! What sort of alert are you after? We'll check it out for you. -Kirsty.

Dipsy0403
by Dipsy0403 ‎19-06-2014 09:32 PM
Can i please ask if this offer is only for data over the phones or mobile internet as well??
SharniK
by SharniK ‎19-06-2014 09:35 PM

Hey guys will we get a message to let us know it's activated or will we have to call up and have it applied? Great work guys, one of the reasons I will always stick with Vodafone.

vk2jmv
by vk2jmv ‎19-06-2014 09:36 PM

So the free data is all over Australia or just in WA?

natnat93
by natnat93 ‎19-06-2014 09:37 PM
So how will this work exactly for those on plans. Will our data usage metre stay the same for that period and not move regardless of how much we use?
laosf
by laosf ‎19-06-2014 09:37 PM

so starting from midnight we don't get charged for data?

BillChen61
by BillChen61 ‎19-06-2014 09:38 PM

Does it start tomorrow or actually start on Saturday?

MelbJ
by MelbJ ‎19-06-2014 09:39 PM

Good one Vodafone, Just one problem, How are we Supposed to use free data, when DATA IS NOT FIXED OR WORKING!!!!!.

In Melbourne, specifically on the Mornington Peninsula, there is still NO DATA USE.

Any grand plan to restore this anytime before Monday? or should I be making enquiries for some other kind of compensation?

Annika
by Annika ‎19-06-2014 09:41 PM
Are you real? Does a free data weekend make up for potential business loss this weekday - a Thursday? C'mon Vodafone! Almost a full day without proper coverage and you're offering free data this weekend? I would be expecting a monetary compensation for this eg reduction of my next bill!
bronnykkb29
by bronnykkb29 ‎19-06-2014 09:47 PM
well free data......what about all those lost hrs trying to make calls or waiting 4 calls.......I think add extra credit too would be a kind gesture too. I might see if download a few ringtones that cost credit not data. hmmm
alangp
by alangp ‎19-06-2014 09:47 PM

Telstra never did this for its customers in the too many years I stupidly stayed with them. Thanks Vodafone! Appears you put your customers first!

Annie1962
by Annie1962 ‎19-06-2014 09:50 PM

You keep saying all is fixed. It is now 9.48 pm I am in Melbourne and I still can't send or receive texts, or make and receive calls! I have turned my phone off and on many many times, even removed the battery. What is going on!! Obviously still NOT FIXED

Annie1962
by Annie1962 ‎19-06-2014 10:00 PM

Finally. 10pm. Just back on!!!

n_atalie
by n_atalie ‎19-06-2014 10:00 PM
What about the customers that already have a high data plan? They don't benefit from free data usage over the weekend.. Everyone benefits from cutting our phone bills
MysteryEmma
by MysteryEmma ‎19-06-2014 10:05 PM
Heaven Forbid if a person can't function for a day without a mobile phone. Whatever did you do before they were invented? This free data weekend is a fantastic gesture. They're under no obligation to do anything at all other than fix the problem. I think some people need to be a little bit more grateful that not only did they apologise, but they're offering you a lot more value than a little credit you won't even notice.
ber_laura
by ber_laura ‎19-06-2014 10:08 PM

I am in Sydney and I am experiencing the same situation of  Annie1962. I hapve turned my phone off and on many times and it is still not working. What it is going on? Why do you keep saying it has been fixed? It is 10 pm and I still don't have any network connection.

khan_i
by khan_i ‎19-06-2014 10:11 PM
@Annie1962 if your still receiving this problem the best thing to do is go into a vodafone store near you and pick up a new sim. It's free and will hopefully improve your connection. In the end of the day vodafone understands that this has caused many problems for customers and as much as we would love to have credit applied for this outage realistically receiving free data over the weekend is more than enough compensation required when you take into account what unlimited really means. Has any other network provider done this for their customers? Don't think so...
SMASH3D
by SMASH3D ‎19-06-2014 10:12 PM

im still having problems using my service... the only thing i can do/use is my mobiles internet, i have full signal & credit so i know it not either of them, all i want is to send a text or make a call but no..

Accountsman
by Accountsman ‎19-06-2014 10:13 PM

People all mobile providers went down today from 10 am to 7 pm tonight some services are still down only internet worked and land line phone across Australia and even Facebook crashed today for 25 minutes technology does break down from time to time and free data is great thanks Vodafone 

Waughpath
by Waughpath ‎19-06-2014 10:13 PM
What's the point in free data when I already have it in my contracts. So many calls failed at work today. Not good enough
JordanM
by JordanM ‎19-06-2014 10:14 PM

I would like to applaud Vodafone for this offer, but I cant see an asterix anywhere!

So I assume it will apply to my prepaid broadband account that I have not recharged in a few weeks, and a prepaid mobile recently activated but never recharged?

Just curious since if it really is free unlimited data for everyone I can see the network having issues.

leciram
by leciram ‎19-06-2014 10:17 PM
Fixed??? Nope! Until now 9:53pm I can't still make a call or drop a message to anyone....I turned off my phone many time since 4pm and still doesn't work...free data is very much appreciated. Thanks for the offer!
e_m_hooper
by e_m_hooper ‎19-06-2014 10:25 PM
Dear Benoit Thanx for the offer but I would rather have a credit on my account for the two mobile services and two data upgrades I have as my daughter and I both use our phones to access the net and hotspot our laptop connections, and that certainly wasn't an option today. And what about the fact that I lost communication with my parents in Queensland for part of today? I understand that things happen but there wasn't even any information on the net for hours, no access to call centres, basically we were on our own. So, to whomever can deal with this for me, please apply an appropriate credit to my account, I won't be impressed if I am asked to pay for a service that wasn't supplied on my next bill. Regards, a currently loyal but unhappy customer
Kirsty
by Help and Support ‎19-06-2014 10:30 PM

You won't need to call up to have it activated @SharniK , it's automatic. Have fun with it! -Kirsty.

Stats
  • 164 Comments
  • 14 Kudos
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?