Alicia_G

MEDIA RELEASE: Vodafone introduce HD voice calling

by Social Media Manager ‎26-06-2013 07:19 AM
Social Media Manager

Can you hear me now?
25th June 2013: Vodafone today announced the launch of High Definition (HD) Voice for customers that make callers having a phone conversation thousands of kilometres apart sound like they are in the same room.
HD Voice delivers crystal-clear voice quality and suppresses background noise on calls made between customers using Vodafone’s network.
Vodafone says this technology is the smartphone equivalent of switching from Standard Definition to High Definition television and customers will notice a marked improvement in how their calls sound –at no extra cost.
Chief Network Officer Benoit Hanssen said while the launch of its wideband 4G network last week will continue to thrill data lovers, this 3G wideband technology innovation was one his team has introduced for the voice fans.
“This feature will thrill those who love a chat. The sound is so clear it feels like you are standing next to the person you are calling even if you are thousands of kilometres apart.”
Hanssen says while mobile handsets have advanced considerably since they were introduced in Australia in 1987, voice technology has remained largely unchanged.
“In addition to voice clarity, suppression technology significantly reduces any background noise between compatible devices making conversations on-the-go more effective,” said Hanssen. “So if you’re at a sporting match, on a train or in a crowd –you don’t have to speak loudly to make yourself heard by the caller,”
“Landlines are on the way out; they’re expensive and don’t suit the 21st century lifestyle. Features like HD voice will just further enhance the dominance of smartphone by making phone conversations sound more natural, making it easier for two callers to communicate clearly with the other.”
“This is another step in our aim to improve our network and offer the best value mobile services in the country. This new feature means our customers can stay close to their loved ones wherever they are.”
HD Voice is made possible using state of the art technology known as Wideband Adaptive Multi-Rate coding (WBAMR). The wider dynamic range means over twice the range of voice frequencies are transmitted allowing customers to hear the full range of a  person’s voice and makes it much clearer to distinguish between similar sounds like ‘S’ and ‘F’.
WB-AMR uses the same network capacity to double the voice bandwidth (50 –7000 Hz) compared to traditional mobile and fixed network calls which operate on a lower range of voice frequencies (300 –3400 Hz).
HD-voice calls will require the caller and receiver to be using compatible handsets on the Vodafone mobile network. Compatible devices include newer models of iPhone5, Galaxy S4, HTC One, Sony Xperia Z and Nokia Lumia 820.
Check out our support page for a full list of compatible handsets.
Want to hear the difference? You can!

Comments
steve30
by steve30 ‎26-06-2013 08:28 AM

Your "compatible Handset" link doesn't work

Netsky
by Netsky ‎26-06-2013 08:38 AM

Thats pretty cool, will have to test it!

Vodafone_AU
by Vodafone Australia ‎26-06-2013 09:07 AM

The link should be sending you here, Steve. Are you getting any sort of errors when clicking? Brad.

steve30
by steve30 ‎26-06-2013 09:45 AM

Is the Samsung Galaxy Note II compatible?

Vodafone_AU
by Vodafone Australia ‎26-06-2013 11:00 AM

Unfortunately the GALAXY note II isn't compatible with HD Voice Steve. If you'd to take a look at our list of compatible handsets, click here. Cheers, Brad.

dy4me
by ‎26-06-2013 12:19 PM

No Galaxy Nexus? The telstra galaxy nexus supports HD voice. why not voda?

dy4me
by ‎26-06-2013 12:20 PM
ccsvchost01
by ccsvchost01 ‎26-06-2013 02:45 PM

I'm pretty sure the Nokia N8 should also supports HD voice with its hardware since the internals are identical to the Nokia C7

Ian1
by Ian1 ‎27-06-2013 04:43 AM

Why isn't the Note 2 compatible? The Note 1 is?
Is it a Vodafone issue or samsung issue?

yellek
by yellek ‎27-06-2013 05:00 AM

I recently (over the past 2 weeks) noticed a significant improvement in the call quality when talking to my wife in and a round Canberra. Both of us have HTC One X handsets which aren't on the compatible list. Is it possible that this improvement has resulted from this new feature?

Vodafone_AU
by Vodafone Australia ‎27-06-2013 07:51 AM

Spot on ccsvchost, we can confirm that the Nokia N8 and Nokia C7 support HD voice. cheers Maureen

Mi7k
by Community Enthusiast ‎27-06-2013 03:15 PM

The Note-II is a HD Voice compatible handset, it is just that Vodafone's ROM has it set to OFF.
When will Vodafone be pushing out an update enabling WB-AMR on the Note-II
The current ROM when dialling *#197328640# the selecting UMTS then WB-AMR Status has WB-AMR set to OFF.
How can we turn it on like it is on Telstra's ROM?

Vodafone_AU
by Vodafone Australia ‎28-06-2013 03:07 AM

It's great to hear that you're call quality has improved Peter! To receive the benefits from the HD Voice calling, you will need to use a compatible device and be calling Vodafone to Vodafone so this probably hasn't had an affect on your service. Although, we've been completing quite a few upgrades lately, so this may be contributing to the improvement. If you can pop a post on our Community page community.vodafone.com.au and let us know where you are, we'll be able to take a closer look at the network for you! Thanks, Meagan

Vodafone_AU
by Vodafone Australia ‎28-06-2013 11:35 AM

Right now you can’t Michael, we’re working with Samsung and we’ll update you if/when we have some news to share. Charlotte

Vodafone_AU
by Vodafone Australia ‎28-06-2013 12:14 PM

Right now it's not Ian, we’re working with Samsung and we’ll update you if/when we have some news to share. Charlotte

Vodafone_AU
by Vodafone Australia ‎28-06-2013 12:26 PM

I can let you know that the Galaxy Nexus doesn't support HD Voice. If you'd like to chat more pop over to our Community, we'd love to have you: http://community.vodafone.com.au Charlotte

command
by command ‎29-06-2013 04:16 AM

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 which supports HD voice, will I be able to make HD calls to a Telstra user who also has a HD compatible phone, or will it work only Voda to Voda at the moment?
Thanks!

Ian1
by Ian1 ‎29-06-2013 04:17 AM

I understand that the Note 2 is HD enabled with Telstra and Optus. So suggests that its not a Samsung issue?

Stats
  • 18 Comments
  • 0 Kudos
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?