Andrew_T

HTC Desire Z Android 2.3 software update

by Social Media Team ‎15-07-2011 10:30 AM
Social Media Team

We are pleased to advise that we have finished testing for the HTC Desire Z Android 2.3.3 ‘Gingerbread’ software and have advised HTC to release it via FOTA (Firmware Over The Air) from 8:00PM AEST tonight.

What does this mean?

The FOTA release of Android 2.3.3 ‘Gingerbread’ will be rolled out slowly to all HTC Desire Z users in Australia. So don’t panic if you don’t receive any notification right now.

What do I do to get the Android 2.3.3 update for my HTC Desire Z?

• Like with its cousin, the HTC Desire HD, you will be notified on your smartphone that a new software version is available to download.
  • You will then be given the option to accept the upgrade over the air.
  • We recommend that you connect via WiFi in order to complete the software update
  • Once the download (which will run in the back ground) is complete, your phone will prompt to install. This will take a few minutes and during this time the device will not be able to be used

I haven’t received the notification, but I want the update now. What do I do?

If you can’t wait for the notification to come up on your smartphone, just go into your settings and force your HTC Desire Z to look for any new updates. This will then pull out the latest update for you.

What’s the technical information for this update?

For the techies out there, find below the information you may want to know.

Android version: 2.3.3
HTC Sense version: 2.1
Baseband version: 12.56.60.25U_26.10.04.03_M
Kernel version: 2.6.35.10-g7b95729
Build number: 2.42.861.6 CL91002 release keys
Software number: 2.42.861.6
Browser version: WebKit/533.1

How big is the file size?

The Android 2.3.3 ‘Gingerbread’ update for HTC Desire Z is about 104MB

We highly recommend you perform this update through WiFi connection and to plug in your charger whilst receiving the update.

If you chose not to download the update via WiFi standard data connection charges may apply. Anyone who is travelling outside of Australia, roaming data charges will apply. Any questions? Contact us via http://www.htc.com/www/CA_Hotline.aspx

Comments
Elias_1
by Elias_1 ‎16-07-2011 09:59 AM

Hi there. I bought my Desire Z overseas before it was available here, but am with Vodafone. My phone is currently on version 2.2. When I try to update, I get the "Your phone is up to date" notification. Will this update work on my phone?
Thanks! And pardon my lack of patience, am excited.

Bradley_1
by Bradley_1 ‎19-07-2011 04:35 AM

I'm kind of in the same boat as Elias.
I bought my phone from an Interstate seller (in Aus).
I know two other people who bought from same person, who have been able to update phone, yet mine too says "Your phone is up to date"
I have been really looking forward to this update.

Mark37
by Mark37 ‎22-07-2011 07:26 AM

Guys, don't be too eager to update to Gingerbread.
My Desire Z (purchased at Vodafone store in Adelaide in May 2011) updated to Gingerbread on Monday night. Since then, I am unable to rely on my phone - it just hangs. Most of the time, I can't receive calls nor place them.
Plus, the update has changed a few things that I really hate - such as the "night stand" now shows all the same information as simply having the clock open. It was so bright that I could read a book in a pitch dark room!

Rose1
by Rose1 ‎22-07-2011 09:54 AM

How much to buy a Desire Z outright?

Dee3
by Dee3 ‎23-07-2011 10:15 AM

i have had nothing but issues with my Desire Z. I can't update my phone and cannot access the driver on line and have no idea why. I should have just stuck it out with my Nokia. Vodafone can't seem to assist me and they wont take my phone back. I follow the directions on the HTC website and come up short. If anyone can assist me i am all ears.

Nashwan
by Nashwan ‎25-07-2011 02:51 AM

Hi there,
I updated my trough the wifi.. It says a successful update.
But cant use my mobile camera anymore :smileyfrustrated:
What to do ?? How do i download v.2.3 again? Can i update it trough pc?
HELP PLEASE

Tung
by Tung ‎27-07-2011 02:46 PM

hey guys,
just got the update today but there seems to be a problem with my keyboard now. whenever i hit the "s" button on the qwerty keyboard it opens my messages folder, when i hit the "b" button it opens google search and when i hit the "g" button it opens my gmail account.
i have checked in the settings and these keys, nor are any other keys, assigned to any shortcuts. it is now getting very annoying typing text messages without these 3 keys. is there a solution to this problem? am i the only one who has encountered this or are there others?
cheers

Jack7
by Jack7 ‎03-12-2011 12:22 PM

There seems to be a lot of problems with this phone, I bought my Desire Z from Vodafone online, it was shipped with Android 2.2, I did not test calling / talking on the phone. I went straight to updat eth software instead. The Android 2.3.3 installed nicely, after that i tested the phone with the first phone call. Guess what, The built-in microphone ddid not work. I can here the other caller but they cannot hear me at all. I tried it with the Mic on headset and it worked fine. I went to a local Vodafone dealler and i had been given a new one. Now it is running on Android 2.2. I ran a check for update and it said my phone is up to date.... Well i am not sure if the Android 2.3.3 broke the Mic on my previous phone. I am too scrared to update it.

heather1
by heather1 ‎16-01-2012 02:56 AM

i bought my htc desire hd from overseas and am a prepaid customer, where as my partner has the same phone on a plan, he received updates about a week ago, yet i havent, i did receive notification the other day of an update and it prompted me to download through wifi, said update was downloaded but did nothing so not sure if it was the gingerbread update or not. when i go to settings and software updates says my phone is up to date.

Andrew_Tran
by Andrew_Tran ‎17-01-2012 03:44 AM

Hi Heather, Thanks for your comment. The update we roll out and sent to all HTC phones that we sold (in Australia). If you bought yours overseas, you'll need to contact HTC or contact carrier overseas that you bought it from. If you any further questions, please start a thread on our community where we can help you further. http://community.vodafone.com.au/t5/iPhone-and-Android/bd-p/iphonedroid Cheers AT

R2D2
by R2D2 ‎04-04-2012 03:54 AM

Hi Andrew.
I have a DZ that is currently on 2.3.3. I was talking to a senior VF store employee yesterday and he was saying that there should have been a 2.3.5 update with sense 3.0 available already for the DZ??

Andrew_Tran
by Andrew_Tran ‎04-04-2012 04:59 AM

hi Kylie, Thanks for the comment, if you refer to the latest software update post you can find which phones will have the latest firmware - http://blog.vodafone.com.au/blog/tag/software-updates/ Cheers AT

Frustrated_DZ_o
by Frustrated_DZ_o ‎09-09-2012 09:58 AM

Hi.
Back in Nov 2011 I bought a HTC Desire Z after my previous Nokia N97 started breaking down. at the time i was told that the HTC DZ was one of the best phones on the market (it wasnt, it was old stock being pushed on me by a "creative" sales-person. I only found out afterwards) and it would be compatible/update-able to the 850 network and 4G when introduced.
In recent months ive had no end of reception dramas and performance issues with this phone. reception is sub-par AT BEST and the phone constantly freezes or crashes. I have already had the phone sent in for repair only to be told that the technicians could not duplicate the errors or find any issues with the phone.
I still have 12 months on my contract. I am almost at wits end with frustration, please help me!!

Ryo
by Ryo ‎01-10-2012 04:49 PM

Hi there. I bought Desire Z a few days ago and my phone is on version 2.2 . I can't update to 2.3 by "System software update " . How can I update to 2.3 ? Can I update it from PC ?

Stats
  • 14 Comments
  • 0 Kudos
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?