Andrew_T

Google buys Motorola #moogle

by Social Media Team ‎17-08-2011 05:50 AM
Social Media Team

Unless your hard core tech head or Android fan, you might not have realised that Google just bought Motorola Mobility for a hefty $12.5 billion.

As news broke over this, shares on Nokia and RIM (makers of BlackBerry) jumped with speculation of more consolidation in the mobile space

So what does it all mean?

Well, with this acquirement of Motorola, Google hopes that together, it can “create amazing user experiences that supercharge the entire Android ecosystem for the benefit of consumers, partners and developers everywhere”

Will this mean Motorola will have an advantage over other manufacturers?

According to the Google Blog, it will not change their commitment to run Android as an open platform. Motorola will still remain a licensee of Android and Android will remain open. Google will run Motorola as a separate business.

So what are your thoughts on this acquisition for Google, is the right step? Would you be more inclined to buy from Motorola? Will the acquisition of Motorola’s patents mean Google can fight off Microsoft and Apple’s attacks?

You may be interested in

Original image from: Android Authority

Comments
admin1
by admin1 ‎18-08-2011 03:35 AM

Totally right step, consumers will get the benefits.

Michael_Hobbs1
by Michael_Hobbs1 ‎20-08-2011 06:56 AM

One of the main reasons this plays into Google's benifit is that they now aquire all of Motorola's patents, and judging by activity lately with lawsuits, the future of smartphones will be governed by who owns what patent. From memory I was reading that they obtained something like 14,000 Patent's with this purchase, which explains why they chose not to join with Microsoft and Nokia in purchasing the wealth of available out there.

SOS
by ‎28-08-2011 08:32 AM

I love my Android phones. and if this closes the gap further between apple and android when it comes to software - I'm happy. i know android phones are Superior in hardware. hopefully the software can go that extra step.

Karen_2
by Karen_2 ‎31-08-2012 01:40 PM

hi!i have opera mini..and android 1.6mine aint mini 5 is it? :when i go to the senttgis and the application ( where you go to unnistall the app)says version 2so..if i have opera mini 2 for android , or soemthing..can you plase tell me if you have javascript in yours? (cuz i see you have android 2.1+thanks : Dbtw awesome review

Stats
  • 4 Comments
  • 0 Kudos
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?