Andrew_T

Device software wrap up: September 14, 2011

by Social Media Team ‎15-09-2011 02:27 AM
Social Media Team

So there's been a lot of questions back and forth between our Vodafone Community and various blog posts relating to software updates. Below is a full wrap up on what we currently know regarding your Smartphone and Tablet device software updates.

This will be a weekly update starting from next Wednesday, so check back on our blog to find out what's the latest software update news for your Android smartphone.

If you have any questions regarding these updates, check out the links below to start a discussion or join an existing conversation at our Vodafone Community:

Smartphone software updates

Below are various smartphones that we are currently testing for future release.

Manufacturer Smartphone Name Current Future Update details
Samsung Galaxy S 2.2 2.3.3 Android 2.3.3 software is now available. Check out Android 2.3.3 update for Samsung Galaxy S for more details.
Nexus S 2.3.4 TBA This firmware update has been released. Check out our previous post Android 2.3.4 release for Nexus S for more information.
Galaxy S II 2.3 2.3 Testing for a new maintenance release for the Samsung Galaxy S II has been completed and approved. We are now awaiting information and confirmation on release details.
HTC Nexus One 2.3.4 TBA Google has rolled out Android 2.3.4.
Legend 2.2 TBA Android 2.2 is now available. Check out our previous post HTC Legend Android 2.2 (Froyo) update take 2 for more information
Desire HD 2.3.3 TBA A new maintenance release for the HTC Desire HD is completed and is now available to download. Check out HTC Desire HD update
Desire Z 2.3.3 TBA Android 2.3.3 is now available. Check out our post HTC Desire Z Android 2.3 software update for more details
7 Trophy* Windows Phone 7.0.7392.0 Windows Phone 7.10.7720.68. Testing for Windows Phone “Mango” firmware update has been completed and approved. Awaiting deployment from Microsoft
LG Optimus 2.1 TBA Android 2.1 is now available. Check out LG Mobile Support page for details
Sony Ericsson X10 mini pro 1.6 TBA Due to hardware restrictions impacting optimal performance, Android 2.3 platform will not be released for this smartphone.
X10i 1.6 2.3 Software is now available to update. Check out our post Sony Ericsson X10 update to Android 2.3 for more details
INQ Cloud Touch 2.1 TBA No update planned by the manufacturer
Motorola FLIPOUT 2.1 TBA No update planned by the manufacturer
Milestone II 2.1 2.2.2 Android 2.2.2 is now available to download. Check out our post Motorola Milestone II software update for more details
RIM BlackBerry® Storm™ 9500 v5.0.0.742 TBA Update for the BlackBerry® Storm™ 9500 (5.0.0.1005) is now available. Check out our post Software Update for BlackBerry Storm 9500

Tablet software updates

Below are various Tablets that we are currently testing for future release.

Manufacturer Tablet Name Current Future Update details
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" 2.2 2.3 Currently in testing. Approximately 1 month
Galaxy Tab 10.1 v 3.0 3.1 Samsung are concentrating their efforts on the new GALAXY Tab 10.1 first and will then look to releasing Android 3.1 for testing for the GALAXY Tab 10.1v. No ETA has been set yet.

Please note:

*Indicates new information since the previous update

It is the device manufacturer’s responsibility to ensure that the devices shown above continues to be compatible with the Vodafone network.

Any new software or hardware revisions must be tested to ensure there is no regression on the performance of the device before it is release in the market. VHA must be inform of the relevant software or hardware changes for approval.

You may be interested in

UPDATE: If you want to post, share or discuss about this post

Hi everyone,

We’re closing off the comments for this post.

If you have any specific questions please head over to our Vodafone Community where you can post, share and discuss on topics from software updates, pricing, service to the latest and up coming mobile phones.

If you’ve got a specific topic in mind you can go directly to different areas of the Community:

Cheers

AT

Comments
Peter51
by Peter51 ‎15-09-2011 02:43 AM

Still nothing about the N8/Symbian Anna upgrade...... great, it's only been 3 weeks since it was released.

Steve42
by Steve42 ‎15-09-2011 03:26 AM

Andrew, I keep giving you a good wrap but the Galaxy Tab 7 still says 1 month. It has said 1 month for 6 weeks now! Are we getting any closer?

Adrian2
by Adrian2 ‎15-09-2011 03:35 AM

This is fantastic news for HTC Trophy users waiting for Mango. Good work Vodafone!

VincenzofromIta
by VincenzofromIta ‎15-09-2011 03:58 AM

Tha Mango update for Windows Phone 7 will be available for LG Optimus 7 branded Vodafone in Italy too?

Andrew_Tran
by Andrew_Tran ‎15-09-2011 04:04 AM

Hi Peter, Hopefully we'll have news on the N8 soon. Cheers AT

Andrew_Tran
by Andrew_Tran ‎15-09-2011 04:07 AM

Hi Steve, Thanks for your support, I've asked our team to have a look and see if there's any new info. Cheers AT

Peter51
by Peter51 ‎15-09-2011 04:23 AM

Thanks Andrew,
It's just frustrating because I am reading pages and pages of stuff @ Whirlpool forums on ppl that have updated to Belle leaked alpha's and they're saying it's awesome! I'm really tempted to try it :smileyhappy: (although the whole voiding the warranty is a deterrent), and little has come out via here or nokia conversations RE:the status of the Anna update :smileysad:
Thanks again,
Regards,
Peter.

Andrew_Tran
by Andrew_Tran ‎15-09-2011 04:37 AM

Hi Vicenzo, Thanks for your comment. I'm not sure about Vodafone Italy, best check with them directly :smileyhappy: Cheers AT

Steve42
by Steve42 ‎15-09-2011 05:11 AM

Thanks Andrew, keep up the good work........and find out about the 2.3.3 for the Tab.

dimerz
by ‎15-09-2011 06:44 AM

Haha Peter, if you think 3 weeks is a long time to wait for an update think again. 10.1v owners have now entered the 5th month of no updates despite one being available.
AT can I direct you attention to the community forums where the much loved community manger Tim has posted regarding an update for the current 3.0.1 version we are stuck on
Message 78: http://community.vodafone.com.au/t5/Tablets/Refund-or-exchange-request-for-10-1v/td-p/21415/page/8
Why are there no details on this blog about this for 2 weeks now? I'm now inches away from going to the TIO.
Hell your the one that told me to buy it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyjCQ8VV59g

Andrew_Tran
by Andrew_Tran ‎15-09-2011 07:38 AM

Hey Cam, Thanks for your patience. There is a software update coming soon, however we don't have any information exactly when because we are working with Samsung to roll this out. Cheers AT

Justin11
by Justin11 ‎15-09-2011 08:10 AM

That is brilliant news re. Mango and the HTC Trophy 7. Hopefully MS 'push the button' soon and start allowing carriers to release the update. I had minimal confidence that Australian carriers would release the update quickly, but VF have proved my wrong (or will when its released)
Thanks for keeping this emerging OS front of mind, hopefully now we see a larger uptake of users and more devices to choose from on the VF plans.
Cheers.

dimerz
by ‎15-09-2011 08:17 AM

When is no longer the question it's what. I figured there is one coming soon (you have been saying that for a while) but what is it - maintenance release or 3.1 or has everything stopped because of ICS due out by the end of the year? Surely you know what your working on.
The fact of the matter is at the current rate Ice Cream Sandwich will be out before we get a 3.1 update. This will be a big deal for the apps that are available for 10.1v users I'm sure. Just about every other honeycomb device has received the 3.1 update.
In short I don't trust Tim and is moderation tactics so hearing it from another source would be nice. After what this customer went through you can probably forgive my skepticism or thinking that no one at Vodafone actually knows. http://androidgoodness.net/2011/09/vodafone-australia-confusing-goodness-or-no-goodness-at-all/
This isn't that I just want an update for the sake of it. It's about the product not performing as advertised.

levi3man
by levi3man ‎15-09-2011 10:28 AM

if only vodafone uk would be as fast as vodafone au. will be leaving vodafone when my contract is up. congrats AU for approving the windows phone update so fast.

rocd
by rocd ‎15-09-2011 12:22 PM

Please give a ETA for the Symbian anna update it has been three weeks. Software update should be a high focus. A good working Handset means a Happier customer. (speaking in general terms)

skapo
by skapo ‎16-09-2011 12:47 AM

Fantastic news on approving WP7 Mango. Great work Vodafone AU. Just maybe you can hit the rollout button by mistake as well? No one needs to know :smileyhappy:

Richard28
by Richard28 ‎16-09-2011 01:41 AM

Must admit I had not been following the Mango update at all. Only really took notice of it when I was reading an article about Windows 8 yesterday. Was quite surprised that the rumored release date was 15th Sept and even more surprised that Vodafone au is ready to deploy and just awaiting Microsoft's approval.

Andrew_Tran
by Andrew_Tran ‎16-09-2011 02:40 AM

Hahaha, I will try mate. Cheers AT

skapo
by skapo ‎16-09-2011 04:19 AM

Hi Andrew,
Will it be released today? It is the 15th and all signs were pushing towards this date. Am wondering if I should keep my phone connected to the laptop today or not.

Robert3
by Robert3 ‎16-09-2011 05:18 AM

Thanks for the update on the HTC Trophy 7 Mango status. I'm very impressed that VF have done the work on this already.

skapo
by skapo ‎16-09-2011 05:25 AM

Still waiting....Tick Tock Tick Tock

Andrew_Tran
by Andrew_Tran ‎16-09-2011 05:47 AM

Hi Sid, SGS 2.3.3 is available, if you read the other comments from different members, you'll see they have update their device. Try it on yours AT

skapo
by skapo ‎16-09-2011 05:56 AM

Hi Andrew,
Sorry I should have been more clear. I was talking about the WP7 Mango.

Andrew_Tran
by Andrew_Tran ‎16-09-2011 06:43 AM

Hi Sid, We only just announced it mate, most carriers haven't :smileyhappy: Cheers AT

Chris72
by Chris72 ‎17-09-2011 03:00 AM

Good to see it's the start of mango season!
Really good work not delaying the update.
Hopefully the obvious support Windows Phone is having in these comments will convince Vodafone that it's worth, you know, actually advertising? Or putting some sales weight behind it instead of just Android.
Even with this blog, Android or Apple updates gets articles about their new features, windows phone gets a mention on an update list. I'm hope you're just waiting until you announce the new line of Windows Phones before making such a post.
But the rapid testing is definitely a good sign. Keep up the good work!