Software Update Weekly Wrap - 4th December 2014

Device Portfolio Manager

Software Update Weekly Wrap - 4th December 2014

[ Edited ]
by Device Portfolio Manager Device Portfolio Manager
Message 1 of 34 (6,504 Views)
Make Model New Software Version Current Status
New this week
Nokia Lumia 720 WP8.1 Blue GDR1 QFEx Awaiting software for testing, expected late December/early January.
Nokia Lumia 735 WP8.1 Blue GDR1 QFEx Awaiting software for testing, expected late December/early January.
Nokia Lumia 820 WP8.1 Blue GDR1 QFEx Awaiting software for testing, expected late December/early January.
Nokia Lumia 925 WP8.1 Blue GDR1 QFEx Awaiting software for testing, expected mid/late January.
Nokia Lumia 930 WP8.1 Blue GDR1 QFEx Awaiting software for testing, expected late December/early January.
Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4 Testing in progress.
Sony Xperia Z3 Android 4.4.4 Testing in progress.
Vodafone Smart 4 Mini Android 4.4.x Testing failed, referred to vendor for investigation.
Software update statuses
Huawei G6 Android 4.3 Testing in progress.
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Android 4.4 Awaiting software for testing from Samsung.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Android 4.4 Awaiting software for testing from Samsung.
Samsung Galaxy Note 4  Android 4.4.4 Testing in progress.
Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Android 4.4.4 Testing in progress.
Samsung Galaxy S4 Cat 3 Android 4.4.2 Testing complete. Issue with FOTA rollout being investigated by Samsung.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4  Value Pack Maintenance Release Testing in progress.
Samsung  Galaxy S4 Cat 4 S-Beam Maintenance Release Testing complete. Issue with FOTA rollout being investigated by Samsung.
Sony Xperia Z Android 4.4.4 Testing in progress.
Vodafone  Smart 4 Tab Android 4.4.4 Testing failed, referred to vendor for investigation.

The Playbook

• Manufacturers make the phones and the software updates that go with them. When an update’s sent to us, we test it to make sure your phone won’t go all SkyNet, and then beam it down to you. Software updates are a bit like blockbuster movies too – manufacturers release them at different times around the globe. So keep this in mind when you see on the web that Narnia got the new version of Android before us

Check out the whole software update process in our 3 part blog post, If you’re keen for all the nitty-gritty.

• Just like Windows won’t work on an iPhone, we can’t hack the matrix and update phones we didn’t sell. If you got your phone from another telco (you know who), retailer or from overseas (yes, this includes our Vodafone cousins), we aren’t able to update it
  • Because we can’t update phones from anywhere else, we can only spill the beans on updates for Vodafone Australia devices. As soon as we intercept the coded messages, it goes straight in this weekly post. So, if it’s not in the blog, we don’t know... yet
  • We’ve got a few easy guidelines for when you’d like to comment or ask questions. This helps keep the blog safe for everyone. They’re short, sweet and will help you master the force

Got questions?

We've got answers! Double check we haven’t answered your question in The Playbook above, then post below. 

Want to be kept in the loop?

Subscribe to this weekly post and we’ll let you know when the next one’s up. 
If you’re not already, sign in/register at the top of the page - you'll need to be using a computer or viewing the full desktop site on your mobile.   

CommunityRegistration.PNG

You need to have a verified email to subscribe, so check your account settings before continuing.

1. Register - Log in > click your name at the top > My Settings > Email
  2. Verify - You'll get a confirmation email after registering your email address. You need to respond to this email, to verify your email address is correct, before you can subscribe

When you've verified your email, go here and click 'Subscribe to this label'  

Subscribe label.PNG

Seasoned Member

Re: Software Update Weekly Wrap - 4th December 2014

by stacner Seasoned Member
Message 2 of 34 (6,017 Views)

Bet you my bottom dollar the testing AND rollout of 4.4 for the galaxy s5 happens before we ever even possibly see the rollout fixed for out s4's.

I would honestly guarantee this happens.

Seasoned Member

by 7tOny4 Seasoned Member
Message 3 of 34 (6,007 Views)
As for the s5 android 5.0 started rolling out today in Poland is there any news when it might come to Australia or vodafone
Occasional Poster

by Occasional Poster
Message 4 of 34 (5,978 Views)
What I would like to know from Voda is that if the 4.4 update is released for the SG5 this month and the lollipop update is pushed out by Samsung in Jan, then will Voda roll it out to the users? Even though SG5 owners would just have gotten thier 4.4 update?

---------------------------------------------------------
The Latest and Greatest
Seasoned Member

by mroset93 Seasoned Member
Message 5 of 34 (5,968 Views)
This is going past the point to a joke vodafone. Why are you the most useless carrier out there?
Crowd Pleaser

by Crowd Pleaser
Message 6 of 34 (5,963 Views)

I beleive the 4.4 update for S5 is a maintenance release only. Could be wrong though. Pretty sure that is why it doesn't have the full version number.

I'm thinking Jan/Feb for 5.0 release.

Community Manager

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 7 of 34 (5,921 Views)

Hey @Will-Sg3 , as far as updates coming close together we wouldn't mind at all. If we know another update is due shortly we'd discuss it with the manufacturer and consider skipping a release. But it's pretty unlikely to ever be an issue.

But as soon as an update rolls out we're ready for the next one. Someone might say a bad word or two if we receive a major release just after we finish the last one, but in the end we're trying to get it in your hands as quick as we can (once we test it).

I think you'll be ok Smiley Happy

@mroset93 : I get your frustrated with the delay, but you're picking the wrong horse to chase in this race. Samsung are the only ones who can take care of whatever's causing the FOTA issue with the update. They'd be the best people to ask for an ETA, or for the update to be available via KIES. 

Keep us posted if you hear any further news, we promise to do the same.

@Brettm : Spot on. This one is flagged as an MR only.

Thanks

Tim

Consistent Genius

by Consistent Genius
Message 8 of 34 (5,805 Views)

@Tim_H ,

Tim, isn't all this "it's out of our control, ask Samsung where your update is" just buck passing?

We are customers of Vodafone, not Samsung, so Vodafone should be putting these questions to Samsung on befalf of their customers. Vey poor customer service in my view.

I'm sure a large company would have more luck getting answers then single users.

I'm still annoyed you pulled the S3 4G Kitkat update after saying it was coming for six months only to be told 'go ask Samsung'. Again poor (non existant) customer service and we still don;t know if the update is coming.

Seasoned Member

by stacner Seasoned Member
Message 9 of 34 (5,771 Views)

Totally agree with @normm WE did not purchase our handsets from samsung. WE purchased them from VODAFONE. WE in turn should be expecting VODAFONE to take our complaints and then be in contact with SAMSUNG finding out exactly what is going on.

Telling your own customers to speak to samsung is a joke. If we purchased an unlocked handset then yes we would be in samsungs hands also with firmware that had nothing at all to do with vodafone.

However we have vodafone phones waiting on vodafone firmware. Yes thats vodafone firmware as it goes through vodafone first. This is now vodafones firmware that is having trouble at samsungs end (not the internation unlocked firmware) so i am deeply offended that you think you can just sit there and wipe your hands of it and tell people to either contact samsung instead of you guys doing it or to wait for the next weekly update and after 5 weeks of that i am offended by that suggestion also.

We deserve to have vodafone contact samsung directly and get a real answer for us and an actual ETA for us.

I know. contact samsung myself, wait for next weeks update or your waiting for samsung to contact you.

I am not the only one now looking at leaving vodafone. Most of my friends either have or are about to due to this with the s4 AND other handsets.

Seasoned Member

by RayBaraz Seasoned Member
Message 10 of 34 (5,148 Views)

I am with @normm and @stacner 

I tried to contact Samsung and all I got i.... Go contact your phone provider answer.

They had no clue what I was talking about.

This is going nowhere and I do know for sure that Samsung is not going to be my next phone but don't make us make the decision to go to another provider as the others got the update already but you guys are still dragging with it.

I know most of it is not your faulty, but if it's sitting with Samsung and us now getting much from Samsug when we contact them then I think Vodafone needs to get more involved and put some pressure on Samsung.

We are hopeless here and this waiting game is just getting quite rediculous.

Stats
  • 33 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 35 Kudos
  • 14 Contributors
Announcements
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?