Have you used the Vodafone Support site? Tell us what you think
Reply

Samsung Galaxy S2 - sound and mic issue

Occasional Poster
Man
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎12-08-2011

Samsung Galaxy S2 - sound and mic issue

by Occasional Poster
Message 1 of 10 (17,801 Views)

Hello There,

 

I got a Samsung galaxy S2, couple of days ago. It was working fine. Now suddenly I noticed that some times when I call some one, the people on the other side do not hear me and also I dont hear them, though the call timer seems counting (seems the call is connecting). Also when the other people try to call me, I hear the ring and when I receive the phone I dont hear their sound and they dont hear me.

 

When I reboot the phone, the phone is fine. Now, could you please let me know whether its a hardware issue or a network issue. I really appreciate your help in this regard.

 

Thanks,

 

 

Please use plain text.
Regular Poster
haquez
Posts: 56
Registered: ‎04-05-2011

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - sound and mic issue

by Regular Poster
Message 2 of 10 (17,710 Views)

I have the same problem and posted the same issue yesterday, Tim replied, the thread is located here. Feel free to jump into this conversation anytime. Right now Im trying to redirect everyone with this problem to a single thread so that the issue gets escalted. And escaltion in IT/ telecommunication industry only occurs if a large number of ppl identify it.

http://community.vodafone.com.au/t5/iPhone-and-Android/Reception-issues/td-p/25969


Man wrote:

Hello There,

 

I got a Samsung galaxy S2, couple of days ago. It was working fine. Now suddenly I noticed that some times when I call some one, the people on the other side do not hear me and also I dont hear them, though the call timer seems counting (seems the call is connecting). Also when the other people try to call me, I hear the ring and when I receive the phone I dont hear their sound and they dont hear me.

 

When I reboot the phone, the phone is fine. Now, could you please let me know whether its a hardware issue or a network issue. I really appreciate your help in this regard.

 

Thanks,

 

 




Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Kirsty
Posts: 2,901
Registered: ‎24-02-2011

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - sound and mic issue

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 3 of 10 (17,655 Views)

Man wrote:

Hello There,

 

I got a Samsung galaxy S2, couple of days ago. It was working fine. Now suddenly I noticed that some times when I call some one, the people on the other side do not hear me and also I dont hear them, though the call timer seems counting (seems the call is connecting). Also when the other people try to call me, I hear the ring and when I receive the phone I dont hear their sound and they dont hear me.

 

When I reboot the phone, the phone is fine. Now, could you please let me know whether its a hardware issue or a network issue. I really appreciate your help in this regard.

 

Thanks,

 

 


 

Hi Man,

 

Thanks for your post. I can help you troubleshoot the issue you're having with your Samsung Galaxy SII :smileyhappy:

 

The troubleshooting will help us determine if the issue is handset, software or network related. Firstly, could you try your SIM card in another phone? If you're able to hear people, and they can hear you, with the SIM card in another phone, it will isolate the issue to your handset.

 

If that's the case, I would suggest a full factory reset (make sure you back up any data you don't want to lose first) and then upgrade the software. You can upgrade the software following the steps here.

 

After you've reset the phone to the factory defaults, then upgraded the software, if the handset is still not working as expected, I would suggest taking it into a Repair Centre for Assessment.  You can find your nearest repair centre here.

 

If your SIM doesn't work in another phone, I can do some network related trouble shooting with you.

 

Thanks!

Kirsty.

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Kirsty
Posts: 2,901
Registered: ‎24-02-2011

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - sound and mic issue

[ Edited ]
by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 4 of 10 (17,654 Views)

haquez wrote:

I have the same problem and posted the same issue yesterday, Tim replied, the thread is located here. Feel free to jump into this conversation anytime. Right now Im trying to redirect everyone with this problem to a single thread so that the issue gets escalted. And escaltion in IT/ telecommunication industry only occurs if a large number of ppl identify it.

http://community.vodafone.com.au/t5/iPhone-and-Android/Reception-issues/td-p/25969

 

Hi haquez,

 

Thanks for directing Man to your existing thread - I can see Bart is helping you in your thread - don't forget to post back with the outcome of the troubleshooting he's suggested, so we can help further.

 

Man, are you able to confirm you are having an identical  issues to haquez - do have have static sounds when trying to make or receive calls, or do you simply have dead air?

 

Thanks!

Kirsty

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Man
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎12-08-2011

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - sound and mic issue

by Occasional Poster
Message 5 of 10 (17,649 Views)

Hi Kirsty

 

(1). Thank you for your suggestion. I used same SIM to another handset and seems OK. I have not reset the Samsung Galaxy S2 with factory settings yet. The main question is - the problem of sound and mic issue is not re-producable. It happens suddenly and without any forecast :-). (a) When I change the SIM to another handset after this issue, the SIM works and (ii) When I reboot the Samsung Galaxy S2, it also works. I am not sure how do we (i) reproduce the issue again because it happens randomly, and (ii) How do we separate whether its a mobile hardware issue or or a network issue. Please suggest on this.

 

(2) I think this problem is different than haquez's problem because there is no static sound from other side. Again the question is how do we define the static sound. In this case, the bell rings which you/other person hear. But once you pick the phone no one hears.

Thanks,

 

 

Please use plain text.
Regular Poster
haquez
Posts: 56
Registered: ‎04-05-2011

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - sound and mic issue

by Regular Poster
Message 6 of 10 (17,646 Views)

Man wrote:

Hi Kirsty

 

(1). Thank you for your suggestion. I used same SIM to another handset and seems OK. I have not reset the Samsung Galaxy S2 with factory settings yet. The main question is - the problem of sound and mic issue is not re-producable. It happens suddenly and without any forecast :-). (a) When I change the SIM to another handset after this issue, the SIM works and (ii) When I reboot the Samsung Galaxy S2, it also works. I am not sure how do we (i) reproduce the issue again because it happens randomly, and (ii) How do we separate whether its a mobile hardware issue or or a network issue. Please suggest on this.

 

(2) I think this problem is different than haquez's problem because there is no static sound from other side. Again the question is how do we define the static sound. In this case, the bell rings which you/other person hear. But once you pick the phone no one hears.

Thanks,

 

 


Hey Man,

it may not be seperate problem, as the person on the other end cant hear me during local calls  (this is not the static I was referring to as those were international calls) so for the moment I am ignoring that.

 

A friend of mine who works are vodafone, said that the issue is with the case (forgot where he got that info from), and he owns a galaxy S2. We both took off the case and are testing the phones.

I eliminated the possible issue with teh MIC by using skype on wifi to make calls. My sister has confirmed she can hear me perfectly everytime. You could try that. to see if its your mic.

Second, I am getting a telstra sim card to test on my phone after unlocking it. That will tell me if its vodafones network or my phone. $2 for a prepaid sim is well worth the trouble.


Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Man
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎12-08-2011

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - sound and mic issue

by Occasional Poster
Message 7 of 10 (17,642 Views)

Thanks haquez

 

Now, seems similar problem :-) . Thank you for your info regarding the cases (I will not repeat this one now, BTW, I am using MERCURYAV leather case). Good idea, today i will check with Skype for the mic. And for the speaker I will play a music. I will unlock the phone and see how we go with new SIM? The main problem is we can not reproduce the problem - that some how suggests the network issue ( I could be wrong)??

 

Please let me know how you go with telstra SIM??

 

Thanks

 

 

Please use plain text.
Regular Poster
haquez
Posts: 56
Registered: ‎04-05-2011

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - sound and mic issue

by Regular Poster
Message 8 of 10 (17,634 Views)

Sure thing, will update you as I find out more.

I was using a rubber case instead of leather

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Gemma
Posts: 1,028
Registered: ‎25-02-2011

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - sound and mic issue

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 9 of 10 (17,602 Views)

Man wrote:

Hi Kirsty

 

(1). Thank you for your suggestion. I used same SIM to another handset and seems OK. I have not reset the Samsung Galaxy S2 with factory settings yet. The main question is - the problem of sound and mic issue is not re-producable. It happens suddenly and without any forecast :-). (a) When I change the SIM to another handset after this issue, the SIM works and (ii) When I reboot the Samsung Galaxy S2, it also works. I am not sure how do we (i) reproduce the issue again because it happens randomly, and (ii) How do we separate whether its a mobile hardware issue or or a network issue. Please suggest on this.

 

(2) I think this problem is different than haquez's problem because there is no static sound from other side. Again the question is how do we define the static sound. In this case, the bell rings which you/other person hear. But once you pick the phone no one hears.

Thanks,

 

 


Hi Man, 

Thanks for your reply. Testing your SIM in another handset helps us to identify if this is a hardware or network issue you are experiencing, if you could try this for me that would be fantastic. 

 

Have you been able to complete the full factory reset and software upgrade yet? If so did you notice any improvement? 

As Kirsty advised above if you are still experiencing these issues after restoring the phone to factory settings and upgrading the software, I would recommend taking your device to your nearest Repair Centre to be assessed. You can check for your nearest repair centre here

 

Cheers, 
Gemma  

Help and Support

"Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world."

Community Guidelines  Troubleshooting Guide

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Man
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎12-08-2011

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - sound and mic issue

by Occasional Poster
Message 10 of 10 (17,447 Views)

Hello Gemma,

 

Again I see the same problem. I tested the SIM with other phone for one day, the SIM and other old phone were fine. Also there was no problem with this phone with the same SIM until now (after that). So, Still not able to figure out what is the problem. I think it could be the network issue, am I right???  because it happens suddenly in the working phone roughly once a week, and the problem is not reproducable/predectable.

 

BTW, I have not done any software upgrade yet. I will do it today and see.

 

Also, wondering whether haquez solved this issue??

 

Thank you,

 

 

 

Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 17,802 Views
  • 0 Kudos
  • 4 Contributors
Announcements
What's happening with Windows Phone? These guys will let you know...