How can I tell if my plan has free facebook data?

Occasional Poster
exidez

How can I tell if my plan has free facebook data?

by Occasional Poster
Message 1 of 27 (7,461 Views)

When I bought my phone with $29 cap plan it said it included free data for social networks such as facebook. I have since downloaded the free facebook app from the developer "Facebook" and have been using that since for facebook messages etc. This is the official facebook app.

Anyway I suspect I am being charged for this facebook data. I have looked at my usage details and the times where a packet has been charged is when I’m at work. This is when I’m not on Wi-Fi and I use facebook to send messages. I know I get charged for any other site activity so i only use facebook during this period. I have also disabled data for other applications so i know for sure it is only facebook using the data. I’m certain facebook data is being charged to my data allowance.

My phone (Galaxy Nexus) also record data usage. For this billing period i have used 160MB of data. Of that data 66.24MB is from facebook so i technically should have around 94MB of usage charges.

My account summary on the self service page says i have used 149.7MB thus far which can be a couple of days behind. Still, there is about a 50MB discrepancy. I assume I am being charge for facebook data.

Viewing my plan details from the self service page brings me to: vodafone.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3804
This specifically says "FREE access to Facebook®"

Something isn't right here. My phone data usage logs both uplaod and download. Data charges are also fro uplaod and download. I am also using live.vodafone.com for my APN.

Perhaps the new ice cream sandwich data usage feature is not accurante but then why am i being charged during work hours when i only use facebook ? Can someone explain?

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
zoeeee88

Re: How can I tell if my plan has free facebook data?

by zoeeee88 Regular Visitor
Message 2 of 27 (7,377 Views)

Mine is exactly the same, I've got the iPhone 4 on the $29 cap and it says free Facebook and I'm being charged. It shows it on my bill. It's ridiculous! I've used over $20 more than I would if it wasn't charging me. And I'm only 11 days into my plan cycle. I need some answers!

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
James

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 3 of 27 (7,340 Views)

Hi exidez,

You should definitely be receiving free facebook on your $29 plan, and I would like to help troubleshoot this issue for you. Have you tried accessing facebook through your browser by entering 'm.facebook.com' into your address bar? This will direct you to the mobile site for Facebook through your browser, and is also included in your cap under free social networking. Also, Can I please get you to try deleting your Facebook app and re installing, as this will iron out any connectivity issues that the Facebook app may be currently experiencing. 

Trying these steps and monitoring your subsequent data usage will allow me to isolate the cause of the problem and find resolution to your issue.

Regards,

James.

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
James

Message 4 of 27 (7,335 Views)

Hi zoeeee88,

zoeeee88 wrote:

Mine is exactly the same, I've got the iPhone 4 on the $29 cap and it says free Facebook and I'm being charged. It shows it on my bill. It's ridiculous! I've used over $20 more than I would if it wasn't charging me. And I'm only 11 days into my plan cycle. I need some answers!

I am sorry to hear about the extra charges on your bill. To ensure that your Facebook app is causing the data overage issue, can I please get you to follow the steps I have outlined above, and monitor your usage to see if this continues to use data. If these steps don't fix the problem, I will bring this conversation private and investigate further as to why this is happening.

Regards,

James. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Gavo

[ Edited ]
by Gavo Occasional Visitor
Message 5 of 27 (7,315 Views)

Me too

I am in the $65 infinite plan and I don't think I am getting free infinate access to facebook.

There is not way to confirm that you getting the social networking free.

If you login through safari in iphone it would use a little data up before it loads onto m.facebook.com and they tell me if you use the app from apple store that apple tells me is a link to m.facebook.com i.e. exactly the same. Unless you went over on your data for the month which ( I think only teenagers would ) you wouldn't even question even if it went $20 of $ 30 over you would just pay it. There should be some way from you phone that they should tell you if it catching data. The onus of proof should be on the provider as they advertise infinite access. They make all these claims like privacy, even though they list every call you make from your phone and all the numbers. Some would see that as a invasion of privacy. What is the point of sending your out five reams of numbers that are included in you plan .

It would be fair if they listed the calls you made that were not. It should be your choice to have all those number listed and if you want an itemised data bill. I think it has gone in the to hard basket and they are using the excuse of piracy, it your usage you should be able to find out what you did

It should be like the ATM a warning should come up and say you are now using metered data.

It a strange situation to find out that there is not way to tell if you are getting free content or not. The bar ling that changes colour on my Vodaphone account summary should not be getting used up if you are only using facebook etc. And any data they say you use getting to the free site should be not metered as how do you get it free if it costs you to get there.

Any other business would not get away with selling you a product that there if no way of you or them telling of you received it or not .

I am now in the process of contacting the ombudsman 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
exidez

by Occasional Poster
Message 6 of 27 (7,250 Views)

This is very difficult to monitor because of the two day lag with the data usage details. However, I followed your suggestions and reinstalled the facebook app.

All other apps have background data disabled so only the apps i open have access to mobile internet. The only app i used during the day (for the whole week) was facebook. Looking at my data usage now, I was charged about 4-8 MB of data Everyday.

I havent used m.facebook.com through the browser, but for now I am convinced the official android facebook is not free with the "free social networking" plan.

This week i will block all data expect for the browser and see what happens.

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Bree

Message 7 of 27 (7,244 Views)

Gavo wrote:

Me too

I am in the $65 infinite plan and I don't think I am getting free infinate access to facebook.

There is not way to confirm that you getting the social networking free.

If you login through safari in iphone it would use a little data up before it loads onto m.facebook.com and they tell me if you use the app from apple store that apple tells me is a link to m.facebook.com i.e. exactly the same. Unless you went over on your data for the month which ( I think only teenagers would ) you wouldn't even question even if it went $20 of $ 30 over you would just pay it. There should be some way from you phone that they should tell you if it catching data. The onus of proof should be on the provider as they advertise infinite access. They make all these claims like privacy, even though they list every call you make from your phone and all the numbers. Some would see that as a invasion of privacy. What is the point of sending your out five reams of numbers that are included in you plan .

It would be fair if they listed the calls you made that were not. It should be your choice to have all those number listed and if you want an itemised data bill. I think it has gone in the to hard basket and they are using the excuse of piracy, it your usage you should be able to find out what you did

It should be like the ATM a warning should come up and say you are now using metered data.

It a strange situation to find out that there is not way to tell if you are getting free content or not. The bar ling that changes colour on my Vodaphone account summary should not be getting used up if you are only using facebook etc. And any data they say you use getting to the free site should be not metered as how do you get it free if it costs you to get there.

Any other business would not get away with selling you a product that there if no way of you or them telling of you received it or not .

I am now in the process of contacting the ombudsman 

Hey Gavo,

You're right, the $65 Infinite does have Infinite social access to Facebook, Twitter, foursquare, MySpace and LinkedIn..

You will need to be accessing these sites Via the Mobile Site, eg. m.facebook.com or m.facebook.com or through the official application that you can download, from the App Store, or The Android Market to be able to get the free access, otherwise this will be taken out of your monthly data allocation. 

If you login to your My Vodafone, You can access your Usage, This will show you whether or not you are being charged for data usage of these Free Social Networking Sites. 

I understand your point that we should have a metered and unmetered warning that pops up at the top of your screen and I will put this feedback through to the correct team for you. 

If you are in the process of contacting the ombudsman and the TIO regarding this, you will receive a case number and your case manager will be in contact within 10 business days of your complaint being put through.

Thank you,

Bree

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Bree

Message 8 of 27 (7,240 Views)

exidez wrote:

This is very difficult to monitor because of the two day lag with the data usage details. However, I followed your suggestions and reinstalled the facebook app.

All other apps have background data disabled so only the apps i open have access to mobile internet. The only app i used during the day (for the whole week) was facebook. Looking at my data usage now, I was charged about 4-8 MB of data Everyday.

I havent used m.facebook.com through the browser, but for now I am convinced the official android facebook is not free with the "free social networking" plan.

This week i will block all data expect for the browser and see what happens.

Hey exidez, 

It certainly sounds as though we may need to take a look into your account for you and the official application that you are using downloaded from the Android Market. 

Once you have tried blocking all data except for the browser, can you please let me know how you go, and if we need we can look further into your account regarding this also. 

Thank you,

-Bree. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
exidez

by Occasional Poster
Message 9 of 27 (7,223 Views)

Hi Bree,

I only testing this for one day but it seems as though accessing facebook through the browser (m.facebook.com) works fine and does not charge me data. I download about 5MB and my usage details only showed 60KB so this is good. I then tested the android facebook app again on another day and downloaded about 5MB and my usage details were 5154Kb.

So it looks as though the official android facebook counts towards you data. Perhaps this doesn’t access though m.facebook.com

I have also triple checked that this is definitely the official app!

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
Bart

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 10 of 27 (7,210 Views)

exidez wrote:

I only testing this for one day but it seems as though accessing facebook through the browser (m.facebook.com) works fine and does not charge me data. I download about 5MB and my usage details only showed 60KB so this is good. I then tested the android facebook app again on another day and downloaded about 5MB and my usage details were 5154Kb.

Hi exidez,

The official Android Facebook application certainly should be included; you've done some great testing here!

The next move will be for me to check out your account for you. I've sent you a private message with my email contact details; you can access your private messages here.

Thanks, Bart.

Community Manager
Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 2 Kudos
  • 15 Contributors
Announcements
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?