What's the point of having a phone with no proper network connection from Vodafone? Need help

Occasional Tagger
Lawathand

What's the point of having a phone with no proper network connection from Vodafone? Need help

by Lawathand Occasional Tagger
Message 1 of 10 (1,682 Views)

Hi, 

I recently joined vodafone sceptically to be honest because of so much bad word to mouth publicity but read on their web site that they've been doing some upgrade in my area 'Cranbourne' and decided to go ahead. Here are the following issues i have been getting since the start:

1. The network signal drops depending on where i am standing. So if am doing a call and i move the phone 10 cm from where i was standing. i Lose connection.

The result: 1. Frustration

2. Phone Bill goes up as have to call again meaning another flagfall connection fee + 90 cent for the next 20                           sec  i speak over the phone. (Has happened to me more than once).

2. Hardly any 3G connection and that's not just in my area 'Cranbourne' but also in the city (Around South Yarra)...I decided to go with the data pack plan of 2gb to cover myself against unwanted high bills but what is the point of having the data pack plan if you do not get network connection.

The Result: 1. More Frustration

2. I have seen that the phone is picking up the 'G' network which is the 2G (Edge) meaning extra cost on top of the current plan.

Basically, this is not convenient at all as i am paying for a service for which  I am not getting what's been promised. I want to know how to cancel the contract or else, whether there is an alternative to me continuing staying on Vodafone..Contract started 11 days back (2 yrs plan). 

Your input and/or help would be much appreciated.

Kev

Please use plain text.
Problem Solver
Peter

Re: What's the point of having a phone with no proper network connection from Vodafone? Need help

[ Edited ]
by Problem Solver
Message 2 of 10 (1,606 Views)

Hi Kev - which phone are you using?  Does it work on 850 MHz?  There's a decent signal and better coverage on 850 MHz than 2100 MHz around Cranbourne & south Yarra, but not all handsets work on 850 MHz.

Is your phone one of these?

http://www.vodafone.com.au/personal/aboutvodafone/network/850-mobiles/

Coverage checker (fairly accurate)

http://www.vodafone.com.au/tools/checker/index.htm

Please use plain text.
Occasional Tagger
Lawathand

Re: What's the point of having a phone with no proper network connection from Vodafone? Need help

Message 3 of 10 (1,577 Views)

Hi Peter,

Am using the HTC sensation XE which uses the 850mhz as well...

I called technical support over the phone last week and was advised that they are doing some software update on their tower around the area and that things should be better (I work in the IT industry and am not a newbie..did not really believe what the guy had to say becausei know better than believing a white lie - The guy is just doing what he is paid for...anyways). I decided to wait and check the coverage when going back to work to form a better opinion of the service...and since been a bit dissapointed...

The coverage checker in my area (Mountainview Bvd, Cranbourne North, VIC 3977)...2G = 3 bars indoor and 4 bars outdoor, 3G = 0 bars indoor and 2 bars outdoor..in plain english = Pretty much no connection if i have to use the phone in emergency..during commuting and around the office in South Yarra...internet connection on 3G extremely bad....I took a data plan when getting the phone as i had plan to check out and use some apps via the 'Cloud' (Software as a Sevice)...basically using web base app...because of the dropout, it isdefeating the purpose of taking the data pack plan...

I opted to go with a service offered by Vodafone as part of their postpaid plans so as to be able to enjoy 100% of the service for an agreed monthly amount payable (As i found out, each month in advanced) that is for 100% of the money.

I am getting for the amount i have to pay monthly (100%) the following amount of service 30%. (I have actual figures in detail that I have calculated...won't bore anyone with that ..) and to me that's not fair. I am waiting for someone to get back to me to offer me an alternative as i do not want to go on a contract of 24 month paying in full and receiving 30% of the service. I do not want to get the TIO involved or anything like this if Vodafone or their representative can give me some alternatives. Otherwise, best to cancel the whole thing. I understand their is a cooling period when taking the contract as well. So will wait for someone to get back to me within the next 2 - 3 days before making my next move...

Thanks for your suggestion Peter..really appreciate the help

will wait a little bit and see how things pan out....Would love to hear of other people in my area..how's their experience with vodafone

regards

kev

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Sarah_C

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 4 of 10 (1,532 Views)

Lawathand wrote:

Hi, 

I recently joined vodafone sceptically to be honest because of so much bad word to mouth publicity but read on their web site that they've been doing some upgrade in my area 'Cranbourne' and decided to go ahead. Here are the following issues i have been getting since the start:

1. The network signal drops depending on where i am standing. So if am doing a call and i move the phone 10 cm from where i was standing. i Lose connection.

The result: 1. Frustration

2. Phone Bill goes up as have to call again meaning another flagfall connection fee + 90 cent for the next 20                           sec  i speak over the phone. (Has happened to me more than once).

2. Hardly any 3G connection and that's not just in my area 'Cranbourne' but also in the city (Around South Yarra)...I decided to go with the data pack plan of 2gb to cover myself against unwanted high bills but what is the point of having the data pack plan if you do not get network connection.

2. I have seen that the phone is picking up the 'G' network which is the 2G (Edge) meaning extra cost on top of the current plan.

Basically, this is not convenient at all as i am paying for a service for which  I am not getting what's been promised. I want to know how to cancel the contract or else, whether there is an alternative to me continuing staying on Vodafone..Contract started 11 days back (2 yrs plan). 

Your input and/or help would be much appreciated.

Kev

Hi Kev,

I can definitely understand how frustrating this must be for you, and I'd like to turn the experience you have had up to this point around.

I have had a look at the coverage in Mountainview Bvd, Cranbourne North, and I can see that the level of coverage you have described is reflected on our coverage map. There are many upgrades planned for March that will improve your connection, you can view these on our website here. 

Does your phone display 'E' when you experience the 2G connection? You are correct in saying that it is referring to the Edge network, however this does not incurr additional charges.

Just as a troubleshooting measure, can you please switch your phone to 2G only, and let me know if this stabilises your connection? This may be a temporary fix whilst making calls whilst I look in to this further for you.

I'd like to have a further look at your coverage and account, and discuss a resolution via email. I have sent you a Private Message containing my contact details and information I'll need.

Regards,

Sarah.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
kfrm

by kfrm Occasional Visitor
Message 5 of 10 (1,518 Views)

HI Kev,

The network around South Yarra is 3 bars or less on the 3 network. Software download is a joke and not worth the money I pay for 6g per month - haven't been able to download a 417meg software file from itunes since Sept 2011 cause the network fizzes out around the 20meg limit. I don't see the point in having a datadownload limit and always requiring to visit a free wifi site to complete a dropout app update. I've complained to Vodafone and their only suggestion is to take a" leap of faith" and join their network with an upgrade. But judging comments on this site, Voda isn't much more reliable. If I was you, I'd terminate your contract within the free period expire date, and wait until actual coverage impoves rather than wait for a promise from them that things MAY IMPROVE in March - outside your expire free period.... of course!!!. I'm living in South Yarra next door to a 5 story telephone exchange complex with heaps of mircowave towers. Its like I'm dying of thirst, with the NILE river flowing a driveway width away from my back fence. I've put up with a slow dying business like 3 for too long now but its time I actually paid more $$ and joined with the  mightly T and get a real phone/data service.. (my contract ends 22/2/12 and will port my number the 23/2) 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Tagger
Lawathand

Message 6 of 10 (1,511 Views)

Hi, I think that's what i'll do..they offered three month free off the cap so that i can evaluate the signal after that time. I wrote an email to sarah with requested details. Will wait for tomorrow and if no call back..i'll call again to cancel and wait till service improves to consider going with them again...since i need a phone - i'll go with T or O and get on a plan with them even if it is more $ but at least network should be better or i'll get a prepaid (with T or O) and wait till vodafone signal improves in my area. Thanks for your input KFRM...am a youth leader in the community in my area..i'll surely advise my mates, the youth and family in my area to re-think before going with Vodafone at this point in time...one of the reason people are choosing vodafone is because of their phone deals but these people do not realise what comes after (excessive bill they did not plan for ..) as the rate are quite high for phone calls and the flagfall as well...it is easy to go over...just my imput...will wait for them to come back and see from there...last resort is going to TIO...

Please use plain text.
Occasional Tagger
MilanPatel

by MilanPatel Occasional Tagger
Message 7 of 10 (1,132 Views)

Lawathand wrote:

Hi Peter,

I called technical support over the phone last week and was advised that they are doing some software update on their tower around the area and that things should be better (I work in the IT industry and am not a newbie..did not really believe what the guy had to say becausei know better than believing a white lie - The guy is just doing what he is paid for...anyways). I decided to wait and check the coverage when going back to work to form a better opinion of the service...and since been a bit dissapointed...

The coverage checker in my area (Mountainview Bvd, Cranbourne North, VIC 3977)...2G = 3 bars indoor and 4 bars outdoor, 3G = 0 bars indoor and 2 bars outdoor..in plain english = Pretty much no connection if i have to use the phone in emergency..during commuting and around the office in South Yarra...internet connection on 3G extremely bad....I took a data plan when getting the phone as i had plan to check out and use some apps via the 'Cloud' (Software as a Sevice)...basically using web base app...because of the dropout, it isdefeating the purpose of taking the data pack plan...

I opted to go with a service offered by Vodafone as part of their postpaid plans so as to be able to enjoy 100% of the service for an agreed monthly amount payable (As i found out, each month in advanced) that is for 100% of the money.

I am getting for the amount i have to pay monthly (100%) the following amount of service 30%. (I have actual figures in detail that I have calculated...won't bore anyone with that ..) and to me that's not fair. I am waiting for someone to get back to me to offer me an alternative as i do not want to go on a contract of 24 month paying in full and receiving 30% of the service. I do not want to get the TIO involved or anything like this if Vodafone or their representative can give me some alternatives. Otherwise, best to cancel the whole thing. I understand their is a cooling period when taking the contract as well. So will wait for someone to get back to me within the next 2 - 3 days before making my next move...

Completely same or worse story with me .

I joined Vodafone in Feb 2012 after moving in to my house around 865 Cranb-Frankston rd, Cranbourne West.

I have HTC Sensation XE too.

Do you think its co-incidence ? OR Is it HTC that doesnt like to hold more than 1 Vodafone bars?

My phone shows "Time without Signal" in range of 30%-80% depending on time i spend sitting at home.

But I vitrually have no Real Mobile connection when I am home. !! 

I was just getting used to it since last 3 months but today I got bill which asks for "100% payment for 30% service".

They have plans for new sites and upgrades i your suburb..so there's still hope in waiting game. But They neither have any existing towers nor they have planned any for my rapidly developing suburb. Its still "T-country".!! 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Tagger
Lawathand

Message 8 of 10 (1,122 Views)

Hi, 

Well I've been with Vodafone since the January and waited for the upgrade and I can tell you in my Area (Cranbourne North)...After the upgrade...the situation is still the same....I stil do not have reception in the house making the use of the phone unconvenient as i have to go out of the house , find a spot where i get 1 bar and stay in an awkward position so that i can have a conversation with the other person...after month of going forth and back....I am waiting on them to get back to me hopefully today regarding the situation and what they plan to do...i have been very patient....accomodating and understanding with the whole situation....but now it's time to change...I sent them an email yesterday with my Code that was given and base on their commiment, you should have a response back within the next 24 hours...will wait a bit more and then emails and corrspondence will go to the TIO. If the phone is a necessity for you at home then i would suggest you think about changing phone provider...don't get me wrong here...vodafone is actually ok if you are using it within the CBD or metro areas...but when it comes to Regional...then there is a lot of improvement they'll have to make to target that market especially now that there are more people moving to the outer suburbs ....I do hope they help you out with your situation as they had been with me...hopefully, i do not have to resort to the TIO to solve my situation with them...

Regards

Lawathand

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
James

Message 9 of 10 (1,104 Views)

Hi Milan,

MilanPatel wrote:

Thanks for keeping us up to date with your situation.

I can see that I have addressed your query in another post, here.

Please feel free to send through your information to me, as I would love to help get this solved for you.

Kind Regards,

James. 

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
James

Message 10 of 10 (1,098 Views)

Hi Lawathand,

Lawathand wrote:

Hi, 

Well I've been with Vodafone since the January and waited for the upgrade and I can tell you in my Area (Cranbourne North)...After the upgrade...the situation is still the same....I stil do not have reception in the house making the use of the phone unconvenient as i have to go out of the house , find a spot where i get 1 bar and stay in an awkward position so that i can have a conversation with the other person...after month of going forth and back....I am waiting on them to get back to me hopefully today regarding the situation and what they plan to do...i have been very patient....accomodating and understanding with the whole situation..

I am really sorry to hear you feel that way ,and I can see that we have received your email query, and Sarah will be in contact with you to help resolve your issues. 

Thanks for sending through your details, and if you have any other questions please let me know.

Kind Regards,

James.

Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 4 Kudos
  • 6 Contributors
Announcements
GALAXY S5 - Live blog tonight