Where's your order?

Track your order

Enter the tracking number from your order receipt to see its status. Find out more about order tracking & delivery.

Terms and conditions

What is national data?

Occasional Visitor
SamanthaDale

What is national data?

by SamanthaDale Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 16 (11,114 Views)
I recieved a bill of $477. Im on the $65 cap plan - infinete text, calls and social networking. My question is, what on earth is "national data"? as ive been charged almost $300 for this - but i have no idea what it is???? I've never gone over my bill and i havent changed anything or done anythign different (cept the new blue iphone messages coming out - imessage) If vodafone is going to change their cost, charges etc they should let us know... being a single mum it will be a struggle to get this bill finalised without having my phone being cut off.. Not a very happy customer!!!
Posted from Facebook
Please use plain text.
Problem Solver
Peter

Re: What is national data?

[ Edited ]
by Problem Solver
Message 2 of 16 (10,977 Views)

Hi Samantha

A good question that's been puzzling many people.  Here's an answer from one of the Vodafone reps in June, but it's not much clearer.

http://community.vodafone.com.au/t5/Contract/national-versus-domestic-data/td-p/13919

Re: national versus domestic data?
on 18-06-2011 04:19 PM

There is no difference between domestic data and national data.
We split the entitlement data in to two different types. once you have run out of national data it will start taking it from the Domestic data.

Thanks,
Liam.

Here's a long-winded explanation of Infinite plans (including national and domestic call charging). The comments are interesting.

http://blog.vodafone.com.au/blog/vodafone-infinite-plans-explained/

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
SamanthaDale

by SamanthaDale Occasional Visitor
Message 3 of 16 (10,972 Views)
That didnt help me at all.. So if it's the same why have i been charged nothing for 'national' but for 'national data' ive been charged nearly $300 - i havent even gone over my cap but am being charged this ridicolous amount!
Posted from Facebook
Please use plain text.
Problem Solver
Peter

[ Edited ]
by Problem Solver
Message 4 of 16 (10,954 Views)

Samantha - OK, your $65 Infinite plan includes 2GB data each month.  Anything in excess of that will cost you 25c/MB, or $300 for 1.2GB.  That's pretty expensive.  Does your bill shows figures like that?  Is your usage anything like that?

Calling it 'national' data is irrelevant to your bill.  It can be 'domestic', 'EDGE' or 'GPRS' data - it apparently doesn't matter, it's all just lumped together as data for billing purposes.

I think 'national' must refer to voice calls, not data.  Your plan permits an 'infinite' number of those calls. However you're charged for voicemail, etc.  Beats me.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
RobertDavison

by RobertDavison Occasional Visitor
Message 5 of 16 (10,928 Views)
Vodafone should do the right thing and notify when you are about to go over your cap.....but they won't because they like to make money dishonestly
Posted from Facebook
Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Dumboy

by Occasional Poster
Message 6 of 16 (10,921 Views)
I hope that is not the case Robert, because as a business plan that approach will permanently cripple Vodafone. The tarnished image that Vodafone already has gets blacker with every disatisfied customer. One day Vodafone will collapse due to mass migration to a phone company which offers real service, prompt resolution of complaints and reasonable fees. Now there's a business opportunity for someone!
Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Nick

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 7 of 16 (10,912 Views)

Hey Samantha,

Your bill is divided in to sections by usage. The different usage types are all listed under Usage Summary on the second page of your bill. 

National Data refers to data, or Internet, used within Australia. The plan you are on will have a monthly allowance. If you exceed the allowance you will be charged at the excess rate applicable to your plan. If you've signed up recently to the $65 infinite plan, the excess rate would be $0.25/MB. The last pages of your bill should have the full usage summary for your data usage that you can check. There is a page on our Webster that explains your bill, here.

There are a number of factors that can affect the amount of data you use each month. One of the main ones is apps. Many apps will continue to run in the background and consume data, even when you're not using them. On an iPhone you should be able to double tap the home button for a list of apps that are running. Shutting them down will not only prevent them from using data, it will also most likely make your phone run faster.

There are a couple of things you can do to help prevent this in the future. The first would be to monitor your usage each month by calling or sending a blank TXT to 1512. This wll give you your account balances. Alternatively (or additionally!) you can check your full usage details using My Vodafone. My Vodafone is a great way to keep track of your service and account.

Alternatively, if you think you will continue to use this much data each month, it may be worthwhile looking at a Mobile Internet pack. These add extra data to your monthly allowance, as well as make some sites such as YouTube and Skype free.

If you have any further questions, or would like more information around how to reel in your data usage, please let me know.

Cheers,

Nick

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Nick

Message 8 of 16 (10,909 Views)

Hey Robert,

I can certainly understand you don't want to go over your cap each month. There are a number of options to help you keep your usage under control. The first is checking your balance using My Vodafone. This not only tells you how much you've used and how much is remaining, it also breaks down the charges in to a full usage summary.

Alternatively, you can access your balances on-the-go by calling or sending a blank TXT to 1512. This is a free service and can be used anywhere in Australia.

If you are constantly going over your monthly allowance, you may be on the wrong plan. You  can change to a higher plan if this is more suitable. Alternatively, you may wish to add a data pack to your account as I suggested to Samantha above.

If you have any other questions, please let me know. I would love to assist.

Cheers,

Nick

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Yambird

by Yambird Occasional Visitor
Message 9 of 16 (8,755 Views)

I got hammered with $110 or there abouts bills last 2 months on a $29 plan!! National data was in the $80 region. had no idea why or what was happening. Rang Vodaphone and for some reason it was the way facebook was being accessed even though on the plan its free access!! Was told had to access fb thru web browser and m.facebook.com not thru fb app. It chewed up the 200MB allowed on the plan in a few days. Was never told this when signing up. Got a $30 rebate on one bill but really should be reimbersed the lot! Not real happy. Not at all.

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Bruno

Message 10 of 16 (8,727 Views)

Hi Yambird,

Yambird wrote:

I got hammered with $110 or there abouts bills last 2 months on a $29 plan!! National data was in the $80 region. had no idea why or what was happening.

I can definitely appreciate that excess usage is something you would rather not see on your bill, so let's take a look at why this may have happened and what I can do to get it sorted out for you.

If you don't already, it's always a good idea to check on your usage through the month using My Vodafone (you can get to it by clicking here). This will give you an indication of how much of your plan inclusions you have used and help prevent excess usage charges on your bills.

Another really good option to keep on top of your data usage, is to install a data monitoring application. There are a few available for most handsets these days and they will show you exactly what is using up your data (and how much). I've also linked you to our handy data troubleshooting guide on our support page here.

Yambird wrote:

Rang Vodaphone and for some reason it was the way facebook was being accessed even though on the plan its free access!! Was told had to access fb thru web browser and m.facebook.com not thru fb app. It chewed up the 200MB allowed on the plan in a few days

Was never told this when signing up.

If you're on a plan that includes free access to Facebook, then there are three ways that you are able to use Facebook and not have it counted towards your data. 

You can access Facebook via your browser using m.facebook.com (the official Facebook mobile site), you can also do it via the official Facebook application for your phone (this does not include Facebook chat/messenger applications) or via Vodafone Central. All of these methods of access link through the Facebook mobile site.

It's also really important to be aware that clicking a link from facebook that goes to an external site (youtube, business sites, some games, online offers etc.) will be counted as regular data usage as you are no longer connected to m.facebook.com

From the Terms and Conditions:

"Standard data charges will apply for any external links accessed via the Sites or 3rd party applications eg. clicking a link in Facebook that redirects to an external website, such as an advertisement for products not provided by Facebook. Facebook is a trademark of Facebook Inc."

(a good guide to this is, if you click on a link and it opens a browser window, then your data is being counted) 

I hope I've been able to help explain how your free access works a little better for you. If you have any other questions or if there is anything else that I can help you with, please let me know.

Cheers,

-Bruno.

Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 12 Contributors
Announcements
#challenge930 - Putting the Lumia 930 through it's paces
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?