Where's your order?

Track your order

Enter the tracking number from your order receipt to see its status. Find out more about order tracking & delivery.

Terms and conditions

Unusual data usage

Occasional Poster
XuePing

Re: Unusual data usage

by Occasional Poster
Message 11 of 20 (812 Views)
I'm using the $49 cap plan. I've been using the plan since early march this year. I'm currently using iPhone ever since I got my plan. As for this month, the data exceeded when it's not even through half of the month and it states that I'm charged for 7 hours data within a day. For your info, I rarely use Facebook chat.
Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Dana

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 12 of 20 (786 Views)

XuePing wrote:
I'm using the $49 cap plan. I've been using the plan since early march this year. I'm currently using iPhone ever since I got my plan. As for this month, the data exceeded when it's not even through half of the month and it states that I'm charged for 7 hours data within a day. For your info, I rarely use Facebook chat.

Hi XuePing,

Thanks for posting back as I'd really like to get to the bottom of this for you and turn what has been a negative experience for you around.

You have mentioned in a previous post that access some school portal.  Is this via WiFi or using your 3G connection?  And you've also mentioned that you view some YouTube videos.  How often would you use your 3G connection?  YouTube can stream a lot of data very quickly so it's best to check that you are on a WiFi connection when you go to view the video or if you do view it on a normal connection that you check the amount that has been downloaded.  

When is your next bill due to be generated and how much have you gone over this month?  

I'm sure we can fix this for you and it may be a bit of a journey but I'm sure we'll get to the destination.

Cheers,

Dana.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
XuePing

by Occasional Poster
Message 13 of 20 (778 Views)
I'm using roughly the same usage as all the previous months. I did use 3G to access school portal and YouTube but it had been perfectly fine the past few months. I had never exceeded the usage and there will be leftover but this time round, it slap me with a $300 bills excluding the monthly plan bill.

My next bill will be on the 14th December. If nothing can be resolved, I'll terminate my voda line. It's getting annoying when I read that so many people is getting charged on something that they did not use and I does not know when it will happen again.
Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Millie

Message 14 of 20 (771 Views)

XuePing wrote:
I'm using roughly the same usage as all the previous months. I did use 3G to access school portal and YouTube but it had been perfectly fine the past few months. 

Hi Xue,

As Dana said YouTube can stream a lot of data very quickly and dependant on what you were accessing on the school portal and what type of videos you were watching on YouTube (the quality and length) it could greatly affect your data usage. 

If you like we can bar internet access on your account for 24 - 48 hours, this will indicate if there is an issue on our systems or if the usage is correct.  Let me know if you would like to do this and I will pass on my contact information.

If this test uncovers that the usage is correct I highly recommend that you keep a track of exactly what you are doing and when so that you can shine a little light on what habits are using more data than you anticipated. Perhaps also having a think about change you may have made to the phone in the last month - any new applications or changes in settings such as iCloud.

There is also a great article on our Blog that provides some tips for staying on top of your data usage. 

Thanks

Millie

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
XuePing

by Occasional Poster
Message 15 of 20 (767 Views)
Although I use YouTube, I know my limits and I normally do it with wifi. So I am very sure I will not exceed my data. As for school portal im normally connected to wifi and even if I use the Internet, it will not exceed. How do voda even explain the usage of 7hrs of data in a day? I do not even use the phone for 7 hours. Is there anyone I can email directly to instead of waiting for the reply here day by day.

I only update to iCloud after the bill shock. And I'm currently not in Australia till end of Feburary so I am unable to do the usage test. Please refer someone I can contact with.
Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Caitlin

Message 16 of 20 (751 Views)

Hi XuePing, 

If multiple data sessions are opened over a period of time, these data sessions will be collated and reflect as one session on your bill. This makes viewing your bill easier and will help reduce paper use for those who choose paper billing.

We can certainly have these data issues investigated for you, however, I will require personal information to access your Vodafone account. I have sent you a Private Message with my email contact details for you to forward your details to.

Please note that I am unable to provide support through PM and will wait for your email.

Thanks,

Cait

Please use plain text.
SargonJoseph

by SargonJoseph Member
Message 17 of 20 (706 Views)

2 days ago, I have connected to my home internet service but I was still been charged for more 8 hours internet usage a day!!!!

today, I disabled the wi-fi connection setting, but internet connection/browsing is still working..!!!

, what can I do to stop this usage or at least to decrease it ?

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Maddie

Message 18 of 20 (692 Views)

Hi Joseph,

I can certainly help you with this, as I understand just how important it is to be able to keep track of your Internet usage. 

With your wi-fi connection disabled, your Internet service is still going to work if you have a 3G connection with Vodafone. I suggest you wipe and restore your device. If your not sure how to do this, please let me know your device make and model and I'll help you. 

Thank you,

Maddie 

Please use plain text.
SargonJoseph

by SargonJoseph Member
Message 19 of 20 (687 Views)

thanks you Maddie for your support,

my device is sony ericsson -Xperia ray-model;ST18a

thanks again

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
Bart

by Community Manager Community Manager
Message 20 of 20 (674 Views)

SargonJoseph wrote:

thanks you Maddie for your support,

my device is sony ericsson -Xperia ray-model;ST18a

thanks again

Hi Joseph,

We may not need to head down the factory reset and wipe of your device just yet, but to work out exactly what is happening, I'll need a little more information.

When you say that your service is still using data, are you seeing this increase on your home internet connection's usage, or on your Vodafone service? (eg. My Vodafone). It's important we identify which internet connection is utilising the data.

As Maddie mentioned, it sounds like the data traffic is coming through via the Vodafone network, in which case it will be using data from your cap's inclusions. You'll be able to track your Vodafone account usage via My Vodafone.

Many thanks, Bart.

Community Manager
Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 2 Kudos
  • 10 Contributors
Announcements
#challenge930 - Putting the Lumia 930 through it's paces
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?