Where's your order?

Track your order

Enter the tracking number from your order receipt to see its status. Find out more about order tracking & delivery.

Terms and conditions

Unusual data usage

Occasional Poster
XuePing

Unusual data usage

by Occasional Poster
Message 1 of 20 (1,829 Views)

Hi, recently I had very bad experience with Vodaphone's billing. I had checked my bill usage and saw an unusual amount of $100 over dollars when I've a cap of 1.5gb per month. It is the first time I received such a high bill when my usage is the same as the previous few months. I reviewed my usage and realized that there are few days which state that I had use the internet for up to 7 hours which I did not. However, to prevent additional bills, I had off my 3G and cellular data but I'm still charged for internet again, this time round it comes up to $200 over dollars. This has utterly disappoint me for the billing services of Vodaphone. I hope this can be resolve or I will choose to terminate the contract with Vodaphone as I will not know when my bill will exceed again.

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
James

Re: Unusual data usage

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 2 of 20 (1,686 Views)

Hi XuePing,

Thanks for posting in the Community. I am sorry to hear about your bill shock, and I can understand that this situation must be very frustrating for you. 

Your balance on MyVodafone can take between 24-48 hours to update, which is why you would have seen a change in your balance after you switched your phone to 2G. To avoid any unexpected balances, we recommend sending a free text to 1512 on a regular basis to make sure you are up to date with your current balance, which will avoid any excess usage that may incur a large fee on top of your regular bill. 

Have you changed your usage at all this past month? What are the usual things you do with your phone that uses data? Also, what kind of handset do you use? Some smartphones can access the the internet without the user knowing, in order to search for updates and MMS that are currently waiting to be downloaded on the network.

I look forward to your answers, so I can work towards further isolating your issue.

Thanks,

James. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
juicyfruit

by Occasional Poster
Message 3 of 20 (1,683 Views)

All internet providers shape a service for internet usage if the customer reaches their limit. So why can't vodafone do the same? I.e. if the customer gets to 500 mb, then they have no more 3G access until the next cycle? (Or is it because you can't extract those extra $$ from customers)?

Curiuos, because it's quite a simple solution that would make everyone happy and solve so many issues, as this complaint seems to be the most popular on your boards.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
XuePing

by Occasional Poster
Message 4 of 20 (1,671 Views)
My usual usage is Facebook, twitter and some Internet surfing at times. My plan comes with free Facebook and twitter. My boyfriend had the same problem since last month. I believe my usage will not exceed my data allowance as the past few months had been perfectly fine.

I agree with juicyfruit, why don't we have a notice when our plans has exceeded. It just caused us so much problem.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
XuePing

by Occasional Poster
Message 5 of 20 (1,669 Views)
24-48 hours to update has caused me $100 more. I feel it's so unfair to users. Something must be done to solve all these.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
melissa

by Occasional Poster
Message 6 of 20 (1,659 Views)

try getting a bill for over $600 excess data usage wen i havnt used the net and now the suspended my service coz the extra cost is to high so now i have no fone and wont get reconnected till i pay atleast half of the bill even though i didnt use it just be carefull!

have a gud 1

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
James

[ Edited ]
Message 7 of 20 (1,621 Views)

Hi juicyfruit, 

juicyfruit wrote:

All internet providers shape a service for internet usage if the customer reaches their limit. So why can't vodafone do the same? I.e. if the customer gets to 500 mb, then they have no more 3G access until the next cycle? (Or is it because you can't extract those extra $$ from customers)?

Curiuos, because it's quite a simple solution that would make everyone happy and solve so many issues, as this complaint seems to be the most popular on your boards.

Thanks for contributing to the thread, and thank you for your feedback regarding the way we run our data services. We appreciate all feedback from our customers, and I will certainly pass this on to the relevant areas. 

Thanks,

James. 

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
James

Message 8 of 20 (1,613 Views)

Hi XuePing,

Thanks for getting back to me with that information.

XuePing wrote:
My usual usage is Facebook, twitter and some Internet surfing at times. My plan comes with free Facebook and twitter. My boyfriend had the same problem since last month. I believe my usage will not exceed my data allowance as the past few months had been perfectly fine.

That is absolutely correct, your Facebook and Twitter services are absolutely free and will not affect your over all usage. When surfing the internet, what kind of sites are you accessing? Are you watching many Youtube videos? Also, do you use many push activation services, such as email or social network notifications? These can use quite a bit of data without the user knowing, as the size of emails and push services can vary. 

I look forward to your response, so I can gain further understanding of your situation and assist you further. 

Thanks,

James. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
XuePing

by Occasional Poster
Message 9 of 20 (1,595 Views)
I use the internet to access some school portal. I do use YouTube one in awhile but normally I'm connected to my wifi. As for my mail, I use manual push service. I do not understand why the bill exceeded by so much.
Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Caitlin

Message 10 of 20 (1,558 Views)

Hi XuePing,

Could you please verify which plan you are on and how long you have been on this plan for? What phone are you currently using?

The infinite access to social networking is only when you use these sites through the official applications or the m. sites, for example m.facebook.com. The Facebook Chat application is not included in the infinite social networking. You also need to make sure you have the correct APN set up on your phone to utilise the infinite access to social networking. The APN you want to use for this is live.vodafone.com.

When your phone is in "sleep" mode, after a while it will disconnect from the WiFi connection to save battery power. Once taken out of sleep mode, it may take a few minutes to reconnect to the WiFi connection. If you browse the internet or watch youtube videos in this time, you will be connected to the Vodafone Network. 

Thanks,

Cait

Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 2 Kudos
  • 10 Contributors
Announcements
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?