Looking for an update on your order?
Where's your order?

Track your order

Enter the tracking number from your order receipt to see its status. Find out more about order tracking & delivery.

Terms and conditions

Unexplained EXCESS DATA CHARGE - $1500 over cap in 48 hours

Problem Solver
Peter

Re: New from 3 .. $200 excess in 4 days? i don't think so!

[ Edited ]
by Problem Solver
Message 11 of 22 (938 Views)

This is interesting reading:

How The New ACMA Rules Should End Mobile Bill Shock
From February 2012, mobile providers won’t be able to easily charge you thousands of dollars extra if you exceed your monthly-cap. We explain how the new rules will help, and where you’ll still need to help yourself.
http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2011/09/how-the-new-acma-rules-should-end-mobile-bill-shock/

Vodafone welcomes ‘Reconnecting the Customer’ report
http://www.prlog.org/11664297-vodafone-welcomes-reconnecting-the-customer-report.html

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Caitlin

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 12 of 22 (926 Views)
new_incredulous wrote:

Hi there, 15yearcustomer, did you get anywhere with this? are you still after replies? I've been loking all over the place for clues and i don't like what i'm seeing: an unbelievable number of customers copping huge unexplained charges with no apparent resolution!

This was my first month on Vodafone and i was keen to monitor my usage to get an idea of how quickly it gets used. There goes that idea. My usage jumped from [none in 7days] to [only 100mb in 7days (including other people tethering to my phone and using my data!!!)] to [>$175 in 2 days - and then another $25 in the next 2 days]. Absolutely ridiculous. 

I have recently found the switch-off-background-data-completely button on my phone which has crippled my 3g until the bill cycle resets... I too want an explanation, but those do not seem forthcoming AT ALL.

Hi new_incredulous,

I would like to look into this with you, as I understand higher than expected bill can come as a shock. 

Are you using My Vodafone and sending a free blank text to 1512 to monitor your usage? Balances and usage details displayed through your My Vodafone account and 1512 can be up to 48 hours behind and I recommend to account for this when checking your balances. 

Using your phone as WiFi hotspot for other devices will use more data than usual. What phone are you using and which plan are you currently on?

Thanks,

Cait

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Liz_A

Message 13 of 22 (921 Views)

itsmoe wrote:

This is really weird, as I've been with Vodafone for over three months and I've never had that issue, even when I was with three (I only had 200MB) and it was fine and lasted me all month. Even with my email on Sync and constant browsing and app downloads.

But to go over $1500 in a couple of days, this couldn't be right, not unless you have downloaded the whole internet! Weird!

Hey Itsmoe :smileyhappy:

Thank you for all the support you have been providing it is really appreciated :smileyhappy:

We will definitely get to the bottom of this excess data usage as you are right- it is very unusual to have such a high download in only a couple of days!

Please let me know if you need anything.

Cheers!

Liz

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
15yearcustomer

by Occasional Poster
Message 14 of 22 (899 Views)

hi there, no after weeks of going through the excel data csv reports sent to me showing all the usage over the three days which was pages and pages long and explaining that there was NO way I was downloading half a GIG at 3am in the morning and also when I was at work 9.30am on a monday work day, when I am certainly never streaming interet usage... there was no more than a 50 per cent off the 1500 dollar bill offered by vodafone. I spoke to a Team Leader and a Manager and was told there was no one else I could speak to except to lodge a dispute with the TIO and I honestly couldnt be bothered anymore which is what I assume they rely upon...? that you are one person with nothing to argue with, but your word and your previous bill pattern and they have an excel spreadsheet with numbers on it... so what can you do?

I paid the fifty per cent off and I told everyone I knew about it and most people told me that they'd had enough months ago of vodafone bad reception, customer services, calls dropping out and lack of customer service that they had all experienced and they said that they had already switched to Telstra and were much happier paying more but having better service.

I told the many people I spoke to how thoroughly disappointed I was that I would be leaving vodafone after 15 years of service with them because they werent prepared to do more than take off the 50 per cent off of the bill and they basically said ' well that is your decision madam' . so there you go. no i didnt get anywhere but paid 750 for a bill which is normally 69 per month.

i am leaving vodafone to join telstra and i am very happy that the industry in terms of excess data will HAVE to be closely regulated as this was and still as, the worst customer service i have ever had. Good luck with your issue. You'll need it.

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
James

Message 15 of 22 (877 Views)

Hi 15yearcustomer,

I am sorry to hear you feel that way about the service you have received and the resolution that has been offered to you. I would like to provide you with the support you need, and for me to do that, I will need to bring this conversation private and access the details on your account. 

I will send you a PM with instructions on how to send your information through to us, and you can access your PM's by clicking this link.

I look forward to speaking with you again.

Kind Regards,

James. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
new_incredulous

by Occasional Poster
Message 16 of 22 (845 Views)

Hi there, i was waiting for my bill so that i could look at the numbers, and there they are.

As it was my first month with Vodafone and i was also travelling without wireless, i was sending a blank text and checking my balance about every 2 or 3 days, well-aware that Vodafone is all about the delays. 

Now that i am back home and have a data-monitoring app installed, i can see that i typically use about 4-5 mb per day - TINY. While i was travelling, my bill says it varied between 1 and 10 - ALSO SMALL (includes streaming videos!!).

While i was travelling, my family needed to tether to my data to book flights etc. This shows clearly (and timely) on my bill as a huge spike. This was expected BUT it was still only 100mb over 3 days - TINY compared to my allocated 1.5GB.

The number that really stands out is recorded as happening AFTER this time. 2.2GB in one day. My vodafone service is not even that capable. I know exactly what i was doing that day and i did not download the entire internet. In fact, my phone was used mainly for photos and notes (and no more maps than any other day).. AND i was on wifi for most of the day.

I never let apps run in the background. 

This number is completely laughable. I have no intention of paying it and will take it to the TIO if neccessary.

I am extremely suspicious of the way this has been happening to so many customers - and the way that Vodafone treats them is unacceptable.

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Sarah_C

Message 17 of 22 (817 Views)

new_incredulous wrote:

Hi there, i was waiting for my bill so that i could look at the numbers, and there they are.

As it was my first month with Vodafone and i was also travelling without wireless, i was sending a blank text and checking my balance about every 2 or 3 days, well-aware that Vodafone is all about the delays. 

Now that i am back home and have a data-monitoring app installed, i can see that i typically use about 4-5 mb per day - TINY. While i was travelling, my bill says it varied between 1 and 10 - ALSO SMALL (includes streaming videos!!).

While i was travelling, my family needed to tether to my data to book flights etc. This shows clearly (and timely) on my bill as a huge spike. This was expected BUT it was still only 100mb over 3 days - TINY compared to my allocated 1.5GB.

The number that really stands out is recorded as happening AFTER this time. 2.2GB in one day. My vodafone service is not even that capable. I know exactly what i was doing that day and i did not download the entire internet. In fact, my phone was used mainly for photos and notes (and no more maps than any other day).. AND i was on wifi for most of the day.

I never let apps run in the background. 

This number is completely laughable. I have no intention of paying it and will take it to the TIO if neccessary.

I am extremely suspicious of the way this has been happening to so many customers - and the way that Vodafone treats them is unacceptable.

Hi new_incredulous,

It's great to hear you're using an application to monitor your usage. I suggest download the My Vodafone application to check your usage as well (for andriod and iPhone).

You mentioned the huge spike in your bill happened after you had been tethering, is it possible you had left the hotpost on without a password on your phone? Tethering without a password can make it easy for others to use your phone as a hotspot without you knowing.

If you don't believe that this is the case, I can definitely investigate this further for you via email. 

I have sent you a private message containing my contact details and information I'll require to look in to this for you. Please be aware that I'm unable to assist via private message and will await your email or community reply.

Regards,

Sarah.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
new_incredulous

by Occasional Poster
Message 18 of 22 (812 Views)

Thanks for the response.

I was very careful to turn off wifi hotspot as soon as anyone was finished. It's hard to miss too because the notification stays in the status bar to remind you until it is turned off. It was definitely not the hotspot, and it was days after, when i no need to turn it on.

I will send you an email now. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
new_incredulous

Re: New from 3 .. $175 excess in 1 day? i don't think so!

by Occasional Poster
Message 19 of 22 (782 Views)

Just an update for anyone checking back to or stumbling upon this thread with the same issue:

month 1 on Vodafone, $195 excess data in a single day. 2.2GB that i know for sure my phone did not download.

Complaints returned a 50% discount, further dispute came back with reduction to what their 'unlimited data package' would have cost.

My numerous questions and comments about the frequency of this error fell on deaf ears.

Vodafone is not listening. Their billing is "correct"

I have submitted to the TIO. Want to get to the bottom of this. Want out of my contract.

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
lwakes

Re: New from 3 .. $175 excess in 1 day? i don't think so!

by lwakes Regular Visitor
Message 20 of 22 (127 Views)

The same thing happened to me this morning.

Inexplicably Google+ somehow consumed 3.8 gigs of my data this morning. I have never even used Google+ and this is the first time I've ever encountered anything like this to happen.

Now I've got an excess usage charge of $250. Of course Vodafone customer service was typically unsympathetic, even though I've been a customer for nearly 15 years and this type of usage is totally uncharacteristic.

Has anyone else had a recent experience like this?

Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 3y ago
  • 5 Kudos
  • 13 Contributors
Announcements
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?