Where's your order?

Track your order

Enter the tracking number from your order receipt to see its status. Find out more about order tracking & delivery.

Terms and conditions

Massive Bill Shock after Weekend Trip

Frequent Visitor
wildrover

Massive Bill Shock after Weekend Trip

by wildrover Frequent Visitor
Message 1 of 7 (1,057 Views)

I am in shock after being contacted by Vodafone following a weekend in NZ that I owe $2,727.40 after my 2 day trip. I cannot understand for a second where this figure has come out of. I made a conscious effort NOT to use mobile internet while in NZ to check email or websites on my phone.

I have talked to several people in Billing who have no answers whatsoever for me and have only resulted in my mobile connection being switched off until I make payment. The only concession offered was credit of $300 on my account leaving me with a ridiculous bill of $2,427.40. I am hugely annoyed and angry at Vodafone for having me in this state of shock and holding me to ransom until I pay this huge sum. I repeat that as far as I’m concerned I did not use my mobile internet connection overseas during the 48 hour trip.

I am in shock that I am being treated this way by Vodafone and want to immediately have this resolved and come to an alternative arrangement before I take legal advice upon receiving my bill next week.

Regards.

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Bree

Re: Massive Bill Shock after Weekend Trip

[ Edited ]
by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 2 of 7 (1,027 Views)

Hi Wildrover, 

wildrover wrote:

I am in shock after being contacted by Vodafone following a weekend in NZ that I owe $2,727.40 after my 2 day trip. I cannot understand for a second where this figure has come out of. I made a conscious effort NOT to use mobile internet while in NZ to check email or websites on my phone.

I have talked to several people in Billing who have no answers whatsoever for me and have only resulted in my mobile connection being switched off until I make payment. The only concession offered was credit of $300 on my account leaving me with a ridiculous bill of $2,427.40. I am hugely annoyed and angry at Vodafone for having me in this state of shock and holding me to ransom until I pay this huge sum. I repeat that as far as I’m concerned I did not use my mobile internet connection overseas during the 48 hour trip.

I am in shock that I am being treated this way by Vodafone and want to immediately have this resolved and come to an alternative arrangement before I take legal advice upon receiving my bill next week.

I can certainly understand that shock and frustration that you're currently feeling.

It is definitely not a nice experience to have opening a bill and seeing a high unexpected charge.

Before you went to NZ did you have roaming activated on your account? If so did you have a roaming data bundle attached?

Can you please let me know which device you are using also?

I have sent you a private message with my contact details, once I receive an email from you I will be able to look into your account further for you to see what we can do for you.

Thank you,

Bree 

[EDIT: Formatting]

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
tiffness

by tiffness Occasional Visitor
Message 3 of 7 (278 Views)

Hey everyone. I am having a similiar problem.

For the past couple of months my phone bill has been pretty huge ( considering I hardly use my phone) it's been over $200 consistantly for three months now and all I do is look at facebook occassionaly spend five minutes on the net looking at something and maybe go on twitter. But somehow I used all my data ($40 500mb plan) in 10 days.

I never download anything and I dont watch videos on my phone. So you can imagaine my confusion. I called customer care and the lady who I spoke to (who sounded like she was in a rush but was still helpful) let me know that sofware, facebook and game updates that I havent requested are chewing up my data. I'm not really mobile savvy so I didnt know that whenever my phone gave me a notification that I got an email or a facebook message that it was chewing up my data even if I wasnt using my phone. The confusing thing is that I have had this phone and this plan for over a year and it has only been in the past three months where the bills have been ridiculous.

She suggested that i get a $10 data add on to my account which will absorb the extra charge and that she will put a credit onto my account for the last bill that I am recieving. I was a little irked by this because that means I need to pay $50 a month now and I should never have had to pay for the extra useage becuase I didnt know that I was using it or how to turn it off (being that it was something that came with the phone and no one told me that this may be an issue) Am I crazy? My phone bill should not be high, i dont do anything on my phone.

I have turned my wifi pff and my data off on my phone, turned off all the running applications I dont want to use, turned off google play notifications and now I'm still going through what I can turn off, just so I dont get charged heaps of money for nothing at all.

Ive been a vodafone customer for years and this is really not good enough.

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Charlotte

Message 4 of 7 (232 Views)

Hey @tiffness

tiffness wrote:

For the past couple of months my phone bill has been pretty huge ( considering I hardly use my phone) it's been over $200 consistantly for three months now and all I do is look at facebook occassionaly spend five minutes on the net looking at something and maybe go on twitter. But somehow I used all my data ($40 500mb plan) in 10 days.

Getting bigger bills than you're expecting is never a good thing and we understand why you're confused about using over your included data when you don't use your phone a lot.

You mentioned Google Play, can you let us know what phone you're using? Lots of smartphones these days have inbuilt data monitoring apps that will let you know what's using the most data and this might shed some light on what's happening. We've got more details over here

Can you share a few more details on how you generally use your phone's internet and how long you spend in total using apps, browsing and on Facebook/Twitter each day? The reason we ask is because 500MB is not a lot of data and spending about an hour in total a day could easily add up to 500MB or over for the month. Also, since you've had the data pack have you used over?

Another thing to check is your bill, have a look at the total dollar figure next to your usage to see if you had any large days. If you can remember, was is it a weekend or a day you think you might have spent longer on the internet than usual. It's possible one day has set you out of whack.

Also, take a look at this handy support page we've created on managing your data usage. It's got details on keeping cost down and also our usage alerts.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
tiffness

Message 5 of 7 (189 Views)

Hey :smileyhappy:, thanks for the reply

I spend a totaly of 20- 25 minutes per day on my phone. Looking at facebook, twitter and checking emails. I havent dld anything and I dont watch videos or buy things. My point was that my phone kept updating things on google play and giving me notifications for facebook and twitter, I didnt realize that this was chewing up my data evn when I wasnt using my phone :/

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Charlotte

Message 6 of 7 (88 Views)

tiffness wrote:

My point was that my phone kept updating things on google play and giving me notifications for facebook and twitter, I didnt realize that this was chewing up my data evn when I wasnt using my phone :/

Sorry about that @tiffness we're glad you know what's caused it and how to stop it from happening. It's what we call background data and the support page I linked to above has more details on what it is and how to stop it from happening.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
tiffness

Message 7 of 7 (78 Views)

Thanks Charlotte , I will look into it.

I'm sure it wont happen again.

Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2y ago