Where's your order?

Track your order

Enter the tracking number from your order receipt to see its status. Find out more about order tracking & delivery.

Terms and conditions

I want to change my phone!

Seasoned Member
MissMayfair
Accepted Solution

I want to change my phone!

by MissMayfair Seasoned Member
Message 1 of 19 (10,836 Views)

I have a Nokia N8 (which I am very unhappy with - lots of regrets) and want to get out of my contract, so I can upgrade to a better phone.I spoke to someone instore last week and in passing they said if I got a new number, I would not have a massive bill for leaving my contract.

Is this correct?

I am probably halfway through my 24 month contract, as I have been trying to stick it out. But the phone is just horrible to use and any way it that doesn't affect my bank account too much would be awesome.

Please use plain text.
Seasoned Member
MissMayfair

Re: I want to change my phone!

Message 2 of 19 (10,762 Views)

I would be getting another 24 month contract with the new number/phone of course!

Please use plain text.
Problem Solver
lawstudent18

by Problem Solver
Message 3 of 19 (10,738 Views)

If you do that then you will still have a big bill, unless you kept and used both phone numbers. If you want to stop the contract you have (with the N8) then you will have to pay out the contract ( your monthly spend X how many months you have left). You have a few options for a new phone.

1. You could add a phone to your plan, this will split the repayments for it over 12 or 24 months and you can pay it off slowly whlist using it (a top range iphone or Android will cost about $30 per month over 24 months).

2 You could buy a Handset outright. Whilst most top of the range handset are quite expensive outright, something like a Samsung Galaxy W ($279) will not break the bank, but will still get you a new handset, or if you could afford it you could buy an iPhone 4S or Galaxy s2 for approx $800.

Hope I Helped.

LS18

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Millie

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 4 of 19 (10,722 Views)

Hi MissMayfair,

MissMayfair wrote:

I have a Nokia N8 (which I am very unhappy with - lots of regrets) 

If you are experiencing issues with your handset, it would still be under warranty and can be assessed by our Technicians. You can run through the troubleshooting steps we have listed here and then if you need to drop it into a technician you can book it online here

If you are just not happy with the phone itself or a particular feature let me know, perhaps I know of a tip, trick or application that could help! 

I can upgrade to a better phone.I spoke to someone instore last week and in passing they said if I got a new number, I would not have a massive bill for leaving my contract.

Is this correct?

You can most definitely grab a second number on your accost however, as LS18 points out, this means you will be paying for two plans - your first service with the N8 and your new service with the new phone. This could be a costly exercise and, unless you will use the extra number, not something that I would personally recommend. 

lawstudent18 wrote:

1. You could add a phone to your plan, this will split the repayments for it over 12 or 24 months and you can pay it off slowly whlist using it (a top range iphone or Android will cost about $30 per month over 24 months).

A Mobile Payment Plan (MPP) is a great suggestion and LS18 is spot on in recommending it :smileyvery-happy:. Basically an MPP spreads the outright cost of a phone over 6, 12, 18 or 24 months. As there are no additional fees and interest, it is a cost-effective way of buying a new phone. An MPP does not affect your current plan term and you can pay out the MPP at any time - you will just be charged the remaining cost of the phone - too easy!

For example, if your new phone is $499 outright and you wish to pay it over 24 months the monthly charge added to your current bill would be $20.79.

lawstudent18 wrote:

2 You could buy a Handset outright. Whilst most top of the range handset are quite expensive outright, something like a Samsung Galaxy W ($279) will not break the bank

Another great suggestion, depending on the features you want you may have a few different handsets to choose from with varying outright prices. Plus don't forget the minimum MPP amount is only $100, so don't fee you have to choose a top of the range phone to use this option. 

MissMayfair wrote: 

I am probably halfway through my 24 month contract, as I have been trying to stick it out.

Your other option is to upgrade your current plan to get a new contract term and phone. As you are halfway through your current plan, there will be a fee to upgrade your service early but this fee could be cheaper than the outright cost of the new phone that you want. 

If you would like me to look into how much it would cost for you to upgrade your service, please email me with the details I outlined in the PM I just sent. I can also organise for someone to give you a call if you decide you would like to upgrade your service or grab a new phone on MPP. 

I hope that myself and LS18 were able to provide some helpful information on the options available to you. Yell out if you there is something you would like more info on. 

Thanks

Millie

Please use plain text.
Seasoned Member
MissMayfair

Message 5 of 19 (10,626 Views)

Thanks a lot for your replies guys, I really appreciate it.

I popped into the store to see how much longer I had to go and at this point it would cost too much for me to pay out my contract, so I will stick it out a little longer. But oh how I wish I didn't get that N8!

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
James

Message 6 of 19 (10,552 Views)

Hi MissMayfair,

MissMayfair wrote:

Thanks a lot for your replies guys, I really appreciate it.

I popped into the store to see how much longer I had to go and at this point it would cost too much for me to pay out my contract, so I will stick it out a little longer. But oh how I wish I didn't get that N8!

When the time comes, it would be to see you get the handset you need and continue to be a satisfied Vodafone customer!

Please let me know if you have any other queries.

Regards,

James. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Damo

by Damo Occasional Visitor
Message 7 of 19 (10,165 Views)

Hi guys,
I've been with Vodaphone for over a year, on a 24 months contract, and I've had enough of the Iphone 4, and would like to a Galaxy SII, eventually change my plan aswell.

Is there any ways I can just change without paying too much?

I don't mind singning up another contract with Vodafone for another 24 months.

Thanks,

Damon

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Bruno

Message 8 of 19 (10,146 Views)

Hi Damo,

Damo wrote:

I've been with Vodaphone for over a year, on a 24 months contract, and I've had enough of the Iphone 4, and would like to a Galaxy SII, eventually change my plan aswell.

Is there any ways I can just change without paying too much?

I don't mind singning up another contract with Vodafone for another 24 months.

You do have a couple of options if you're looking at getting yourself a new phone while you are still under contract for you current plan. The best option for you, will really come down to personal choice.

Millie has already covered them off in her post above, but let's look at how they will apply in your case so that you can decide which option suits you better.

The first option, is a monthly payment plan (MPP). This takes the outright purchase cost of a new phone and splits it over 6,12,18 or 24 months. This cost is then added on to your current monthly plan charges.  I do need to let you know that, if you're currently making monthly payments for your iPhone, this will need to be paid out before you can start an MPP on your new phone.

The second option, is to simply buy a new handset outright. This can be done in store or over the phone and is the simplest way to get the new phone that you're after.

The third option, is to do an early upgrade on your plan. This will generate an early upgrade fee, which can be worked out by multiplying your minimum monthly plan cost (plus any handset repayments) by the number of months remaining on your contract. Depending on the plan that you're on, this can sometimes work out cheaper than buying a new handset outright. You would then start a new contract, on a new plan with a new phone.

I've sent you a private message with my contact details, if you would like me to get some specific pricing on these options for you, please let me know.

In the meantime, if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to look after them for you.

Cheers,

-Bruno.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
nhyde

by nhyde Occasional Visitor
Message 9 of 19 (7,774 Views)

Vodofone support service

I am in 12 months into a 24 month contract with yourselves. I am happy with the service I receive but not so much with the phone. It is a basic HTC phone. There is technically nothing wrong with the phone merely me the user having problems using the phone. 

My question is am I able to change my phone or even upgrade it mid way? I am happy to remain with Vodofone and am willing to pay more per month for a decent phone - currently its around £16 a month.

Is this possible?? If so, would there be any additional fees for changing the contract apart for possibly paying more per month if I have a better phone which costs more.

Please can someone help!!!

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Kirsty

Message 10 of 19 (7,749 Views)

Hi nhyde,

nhyde wrote:

My question is am I able to change my phone or even upgrade it mid way? I am happy to remain with Vodofone and am willing to pay more per month for a decent phone - currently its around £16 a month.

It's sounds like you might be after our Vodafone Uk colleagues (we haven't used pounds here in Australia for quite a while!). You can find the Vodafone UK eForum here

If you are with Vodafone Australia I can help! You can definitely upgrade early, the fee will be calculated as your monthly access fee x the months left in your contract, plus any outstanding handset repayments.

You can also add another handset to your service via a mobile payment plan (MPP). You're able to purchase the handset outright, and pay for it in monthly handset installments. You can read more about MPPs here.

Let me know if you have any questions about adding an MPP, I'd love to help.

Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 4 Kudos
  • 15 Contributors
Announcements
#challenge930 - Putting the Lumia 930 through it's paces
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?