Looking for an update on your order?
Where's your order?

Track your order

Enter the tracking number from your order receipt to see its status. Find out more about order tracking & delivery.

Terms and conditions

Excessive and Unexplained Data Usage

3birds

Excessive and Unexplained Data Usage

by 3birds Member
Message 1 of 85 (2,731 Views)

Hi all,

I'm after some help or advice regarding my data charges.

I have an iphone on the $65 ultimate plan which includes 2GB of data per month.

Since the commencement of the plan (April 2011) I have not exceeded 1GB. I am not a young person that is constantly using my phone and I dont even have Facebook. I have half a dozen Apps that I downloaded via my home WIFI which are rarely used and I have confirmed do not roam or update or what-ever. The Apps are angry Birds, Doodle Jump Etc.

I dont use the Maps App because I have an in-car GPS and I really dont need directions anyway.

During the week, my phone was cut-off in all respects, phone calls, text and internet. After a phone call to Vodafone I was advised that my monthy bill had exceeded $700 and they placed a bar on the phone. I found that quite aweful considering my bill had not even bill issued nor was due or late.

The customer service person re-activated phone and texting access, however left the internet barred and advised me to visit a Vodafone store as the data-usage issue could not be resolved over the phone.

The next day I re-arranged my priorities and plans and took the long journey to my closest Vodafone store, a 40min trip each way...there goes my fuel budget for the week. Finances are thin as a single mum  with 3 kids.

The staff in the store were attentive and polite, the bill was looked at and phone calls were made. However at the end I was told the bill due date and was advised that I'd have to just pay it.

This is 1 of 3 iphones in this house hold on the $65/month plan with Vodafone. I am most upset about the data usage and worried about the other 2 phones. We are all very responsible with them, not internet or social network addicts and never use even half of our data usage. This will cause me substantial financial distress....surely it must be some kind of error!

Any suggestions? Do I need to make contact with the TIO?

Thanks Folks. :-)

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
damn_air

Re: Excessive and Unexplained Data Usage

by Occasional Poster
Message 2 of 85 (2,622 Views)

Hi 3Birds,

I've just updated a post I made earlier in the week about a similar issue, i've noticed many other people compaining about it too

I managed to get online to work and see where my data was going and somehow in the middle of the night it is chewing up chunks of data (even thought I have Wi-fi switched on).

Come on Vodafone, this many users reporting the same issue can't all be user error!

damn_air

Please use plain text.
3birds

by 3birds Member
Message 3 of 85 (2,615 Views)

Too True,

When we looked at data usage (dates/times), 100mb was used on a day when I at my mothers 70th birthday, and there is no service at that location. Another 100mb block was chewed up at 3am in the morning (yeah right). Another 100mb block was just before 9am on a week day, right when I'm driving my kids to school and pre-school respectively...and again, no service at those locations either.

I can't apply any logic to this....

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Nick

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 4 of 85 (2,570 Views)

Hi 3birds,

3birds wrote:

I'm after some help or advice regarding my data charges.

Any suggestions? 

There are a number of factors that can affect the amount of data you use:

• Do you use you phone for email? If you have push email set up, your phone will automatically download emails as they are received.
  • Do you use apps? Some apps will continue to run in the background, even when you aren't using them. I would recommend you ensure apps are shutdown, and not just running in the background, when they're not in use.
  • Do you charge your phone by plugging it in to your computer? This can cause your phone and computer to 'tether' together. Tethering basically means using your phone as a modem by connecting it to your computer. So your phone may be tethering when you have it connected to your computer for charging. I know I've previously been caught out by this.
  • Often your phone will automatically revert back to 3G, instead of WiFi, after a period of inactivity.
  • Do you use automatic updates? These can also use data to update your phone and the apps on it.
  • Do you use any services that stream video? Websites like youtube, and things like skype can be heavy on the data due to the video they stream.

The times that appear on your bill for data usage are not necessarily indicative of the exact times you used the data. If we were to include every instance of data usage on your bill, your bill would be very long. Instead, we take the data used over a period of time, and combine it on your bill in to one session. Does this make sense?

If you are having trouble understanding the charges on your bill, you may find our Bill Explainer handy.

Thanks,
Nick 

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Nick

Message 5 of 85 (2,573 Views)

Hi damn_air,

As I mentioned to 3birds, there are a number of factors that can affect the amount of data you sue. Do any of them apply to you.

I also ran through the way it will appear on your bill, which may help to explain why some of your usage on your bill shows at unusual times of the day.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Nick 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Siobhann

by Occasional Poster
Message 6 of 85 (2,565 Views)

I'm having similar problems and I've checked that list of factors and the bill reading guide and it still doesnt explain how I'm accruing what amounts to $100 a day of usage over and above my capped limit (which I have not used over a quarter of yet accouring to "my vodafone").

This seems to be a problem for a few people at the moment - can the problem be identified and rectified soon?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
damn_air

by Occasional Poster
Message 7 of 85 (2,516 Views)

Hi Nick,

I always make sure the apps are closed and have been double checking since the data usage is heavy.

I've turned off all emails but 1 so this should reduce the load (although i've not had a problem with data usage in the past with these all on.

Tethering is switched off (to save battery powwer so never on)

Usage is so high i've not watched videos or the radio which again in the past I've done and not had a usage issues

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
James

Message 8 of 85 (2,497 Views)

Hi Siobhann,

Thanks for contributing to the thread and letting us know about your issues around billing.

To get a better idea of your situation, would I be able to get you to answer the questions that Nick has posted to 3birds above? Running through these will allow me to know how you use your phone and identify any usage that may be causing you to go over your cap.

I look forward to this information, so I can assist you further and continue to work towards a suitable resolution. 

Thanks,

James. 

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
James

Message 9 of 85 (2,489 Views)

Hi damn_air,

Thanks for getting back to us with that information, I would like to look into this further for you to clarify these charges.

To be able to look at your current balance, I will need to bring this conversation private and take a look at your account. I will send you a PM with instructions on how to send your information through to us. You can access your PM's by clicking this link.

Thanks,

James, 

Please use plain text.
3birds

by 3birds Member
Message 10 of 85 (2,464 Views)

Hey Nick,

Thanks for your reponse regarding my issues on data usage.

Although your suggestions are valid, and those points you raised are often the cause of data being chewed up, I have not changed the way I use email/internet etc.

I have never before exceeded my data allowance (2gb) and the 2 other iphones we have don't either.

My partners iphone is on the same data allowance. He runs his whole business from his phone.

The following comparison exists under the same roof, with the same data allowance.

My partner,

Sends & receives emails on a hourly/daily basis (including attachments and photo's).

Sends invoices to customers on a daily basis.

Does his banking/pays bills via interent on a daily basis.

He has literally 100's of apps.

Searches for jobs and tenders via the internet.

Reads the news on his phone every day.

The list regarding his usage goes on and on.

I however do none of the above, with the exception of a few emails here and there...maybe a couple a week.

I only have a few childrens apps, like Talking Roby, Talking John, Angry Birds, Old Booth...I think thats about it.

So how is it reasonable to say my partner uses approx 1GB per month on the same plan. His daughter uses about the same, again on the same plan. I use data only occasionally and most often via my own WIFI and suddenly I have blown my data out of the water and now facing a $700 bill.

This is not reasonable and we can't work it out.

There must be errors in the way Vodafone record/log the data usage for their customers.

Any more help Nick??

Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 84 Replies
  • 3y ago
  • 11 Kudos
  • 12 Contributors
Announcements
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?