Have you used the Vodafone Support site? Tell us what you think

Data overcharge

Occasional Poster
Limmm

Re: Data overcharge

by Occasional Poster
Message 11 of 21 (378 Views)

i updated to ios 7 on the 18th and ive always been aware if my mobile data is on or not 

thanks for the info

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Limmm

by Occasional Poster
Message 12 of 21 (378 Views)

thanks ill send an email with my details

Please use plain text.
Regular Poster
saronic

by Regular Poster
Message 13 of 21 (371 Views)

Vodafone... You need to eliminate "bill-shock" re excess data usage. Optus has moved on this, you need to do the same.

Your network has improved, the plans are flexible and competitive, customer service has improved (even the overseas call centres are a lot better), yet you continue to shot yourself in the foot with the continuation of this inane policy. It is unethical and makes no business sense long term.

First, if tested in court, the exorbitant amounts you charge for excess data may well be deemed to constitute a "penalty" and hence illegal. (See what is happening with the bank dishonour fees and the pending class actions).

Second, you can't be making that much money from it: Most of the time you waive the fees anyway. Moreover, having a data pack automatically kick in when one goes over would probably see customers spend more as it would remove the fear of huge bills. But most importantly, the amount of good will you are losing because of current practice is huge.

Third, the argument that customers should, and have the ability, to monitor their usage is completely irrelevant - the issue has to do with the amount which is charged for the excess data. The adequacy of the available monitoring tools and the way modern smart-phones can chew up data without you knowing, nevertheless, supports my argument.

Fourth, no lame excuses. One I heard trotted out by Vodafone was that the present system offers customers greater flexibility. This translates into: "Our customers prefer to be charged hundreds of dollars in excess charges rather than in the tens of dollars." Your customers are not sadomasochists; for those so inclined, there are speciality parlours for that sort of thing where they throw in a free spanking as well. Your customers are not idiots.

Bill-shock has never been an issue for us as we rarely go anywhere near our cap limit. The purpose of this post is to let you know that of all the issues raised on the community page this sticks out like a sore thumb. This is particularly so because it is so easily avoidable. You have moved on international roaming, why not domestic data. Event if it meant a small increase in the overall cost of plans (lets not get carried away here, I'm talking about a couple of bucks) then so be it. In my opinion, Optus would be reaping greater rewards from their change of policy if it wasn't for the fact that their network is crappy at the moment (well it is at 3220). As for Telstra, don't look at them, they do not have to move until the other two carriers provide stronger competition.

As I said, personally it does not really concern me, but this ridiculous policy is costing you a huge amount of goodwill at a time when you can least afford it.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Limmm

by Occasional Poster
Message 14 of 21 (328 Views)

hmm same here i was with optus before and ive never had this sort of problem ive always been aware of my usage

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
Meego65

by Meego65 Regular Visitor
Message 15 of 21 (223 Views)
I can not tell you how much I hate vodafone since getting an iPhone 5s for my daughters after having the 4 for 2 years with vodafone we have had nothing but over charging every month and all they can answer is you just pay for add ons. It is rubbish my daughters phone this month is on day 1 and already 600mb half her allowance the other daughter who is on same is 44mb but NO same response every month from these idiots just pay more extra data. I have got a more expensive plan than on the iPhone 4 but no they want more absolute rip off sick of talking to them every month am going to take to ombudsman as obviously there is an issue or there wouldn't be hundreds of people complaining Total Rip Off
Please use plain text.
Community Lead
Balsam

by Community Lead Community Lead
Message 16 of 21 (217 Views)

Hi @Meego65 ,

You may want to check how your daughter is using her data....

The iPhone 5s is a 4G capable device, which means it can get much faster dowload speeds than the iPhone 4. While this is great for streaming music, watching videos and other activities, it also means you can go over your limit very easily.

Downloading one HD movie for example might only take about 10 minutes, but will use around 2GB of data.

I'm not an expert on iPhones, but some of the others in here will be able to give some advice on how to work out exactly where the data has been used. Rather than just complaining about the bill every month, it would be better to work out why you are getting the extra charges, and putting a stop to the excess data usage in the first place.

In all but  an extremely small number of cases, if you are being charged for the data, it means you have used that data, even if you're not aware of it.

Cheers,

Balsam

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
Meego65

Message 17 of 21 (209 Views)

I am well aware of what is happening but if you think that half your data of 1.5 is capable of being used in one day with the iphone 5 and they never went over their plan once on the iphone 4 I would suggest there is a problem. Vodafone is a total rip off and should take a look at all the complaints my girls dont even have 4g turned on.

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
Meego65

Message 18 of 21 (207 Views)

PS maybe there should be some law that they should advise you off this before you sign up for their bull***** plans that cover nothing.  The sooner I can remove our 4 phones from this company the better.

Please use plain text.
Community Lead
thefineline

Message 19 of 21 (201 Views)

Meego65 wrote:

PS maybe there should be some law that they should advise you off this before you sign up for their bull***** plans that cover nothing. 

They do it's called the contract.

But if you want to see what is taking the data check out this article - http://support.vodafone.com.au/articles/FAQ/Apple--iPhone--usage-monitor

You may want to reset the counter and then monitor over the next few days to see what's using it.

Please use plain text.
Community Lead
Balsam

Message 20 of 21 (192 Views)

@Meego65 

The difference between the usage on the iPhone4 vs iPhone5 is the 4G. I would suggest that 4G is indeed enabled on the phone, even if you are not aware of it.

Why the data usage is higher is because if, for example, your daughter wanted to view or down load a movie on the iPhone 4, it would have been poor quality, subject to continual buffering or take too long to down load... hence she probably wouldn't have bothered. Now she has the iPhone 5 with 4G, all of this works just like she always wanted, so off we go streaming movies and downloading content.

Now I'm not saying this is exactly what happened, however it is a very real possibility. The best thing to do is what thefineline suggested and monitor the usage to see exactly what is chewing through the data. there can be many apps that use lots of data in the background without you even realising they are working.

Let us know how the monitoring goes and once you know what is causing the problem, we will be able to help you out.

BTW, my previous post gave a clear example of how you could use more than your 1.5GB in 10 minutes, so yes, I do think you can use more than half your allowance in one day.

Cheers,

Balsam

Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 43w ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 10 Contributors
Announcements
Want to talk about what's next for Android? This is the thread for you