Where's your order?

Track your order

Enter the tracking number from your order receipt to see its status. Find out more about order tracking & delivery.

Terms and conditions

Attention Samsung Galaxy S2 owners. Re: Data Usage.

Occasional Poster
BradenDoe

Attention Samsung Galaxy S2 owners. Re: Data Usage.

by Occasional Poster
Message 1 of 14 (14,908 Views)

Hi one and all.

For those of you that have a Samsung Galazy S2 and have been charged silly amounts of excess data usage on their monthly spend please keep reading.

I had the same problem (this is my thread with the problem/steps i took: http://community.vodafone.com.au/t5/Contract/Excess-data-usage-issue/td-p/48877) . . . However unsatisfied with the lengthy process that it was going to take Vodafone to 'investigate'.

I went and downloaded this app 'My Data Manager' (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mobidia.android.mdm&hl=en) and was watching my data usages over my WiFi connection to ascertain what has caused the escalated data usage, then lo and behold the culprit was identified, it was not through my own usage of the mobile nor was it an application that I had knowingly downloaded. it was the AP Mobile application which Vodafone places on the phone from the box. I have tried force closing the app, exiting the app and any other thing possible to try and remove the app. However you cannot. It still even manages to force open itself without your permission, thus raking up a nice little excess data bill.

This thread (http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-t/432846-ap-mobile-using-tons-data-not-being-used.html) was particularly useful in explaining the issue.

Furthermore other people from around the joint with the same issue:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1098206

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-t/428410-ap-mobile.html

http://samsunggalaxysforums.com/showthread.php/6269-Data-problems

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1315298

So as you can see, your charges are not neccessarily being incured by yourself, however through an app that Vodafone has allowed to be sent out on its phones.

Hope this helps some of you in your instances of fighting your excess data charges.

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Dana

Re: Attention Samsung Galaxy S2 owners. Re: Data Usage.

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 2 of 14 (14,725 Views)

So as you can see, your charges are not neccessarily being incured by yourself, however through an app that Vodafone has allowed to be sent out on its phones.

Hope this helps some of you in your instances of fighting your excess data charges.

Hi BradenDoe,

Thank you for your informative post on the Community on excess data charges on the Galaxy S2.  Nick has already answered your post over here.  

Cheers,

Dana.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Dumboy

by Occasional Poster
Message 3 of 14 (14,396 Views)
Re: Data. Since signing up for 2 years my data usage has shown 0 for the first 2 weeks. I'm going to take Vodafone at their word and god help them if they try to charge me for any data use during that period. I'm happy to pay for all that I use as long as I know what I've used. It's not my fault or responsibility that my Vodafone account usage is not being updated accurately. By not supplying the services as advertised and promoted in the Vodafone shops, Vodafone may be breaching the Consumer Protection Act. As such, dissatisfied customers could possibly lodge a complaint with the Small Claims Court for a full refund and/or compensation. Worth looking into if you're really fed up with the service you are getting.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Dumboy

by Occasional Poster
Message 4 of 14 (14,388 Views)
Re:AP MOBILE: If you went into a supermarket and were charged for a product you did not want or request, then you would be completely within your rights to refuse it. To refuse AP MOBILE on sgs2 go to: SETTINGS-WIRELESS+NETWORK-MOBILE NETWORKS-uncheck:USE PACKET DATA. This will need to be checked before you can surf the net but it should stop unauthorised use of your data while the phone is in your pocket.Modern technology? Hah! Gimme my old push-button Nokia anyday.
Please use plain text.
Help and Support
James

Message 5 of 14 (14,306 Views)

Hi Dumboy,

I am sorry to hear you feel that way about your service, I would certainly like to help you with your query.

Are you checking your balance through MyVodafone? Your MyVodafone service takes anywhere between 24-48 hours to update your usage, and should be available to use as soon as you sign up. Is MyVodafone showing any other usage, such a voice and text amounts?  Which browser are you using to access MyVodafone?  Also, have you checked your usage by sending a free text message to 1512? This will send you an automated text message with the most up to date usage details. 

I look forward to your response, so I can assist you further with your query.

Thanks,

James. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Dumboy

by Occasional Poster
Message 6 of 14 (14,261 Views)
Thanks James. I have been sending an sms to 1512 every day for more than a week now but my data usage is still showing 2048Mb of 2048Mb. I.e. no usage which is not true. My concern is that I will go over my monthly data allowance and thus be slugged 50 cents for every Mb over my allowance. No problem accessing Vodafone online account but I have no faith in the accuracy of the usage shown. Why is this such a problem in this digital age and why are so many Vodaphone customers suffering with similar problems? One thing I do see is the massive financial windfall to Vodafone due to overcharging. Also, your customer service is atrocious. Waiting a minimum of 50 mins just to speak to a real person who fails to resolve my Vodafone problems is simply not good enough. I would never have signed with Vodafone had I known I would have to waste so much of my time trying to get some basic service. Very disappointed
Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Nick

Message 7 of 14 (14,232 Views)

Hi Dumboy,

There is currently an issue with 1512 that is affecting some customers trying to access their balances. We're currently working to get it sorted out as soon as possible, so you can check your account balances. I apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

You mention that you have been able to access your balances through My Vodafone. Do the balances there show you have used no data, the same as through 1512? As James mentioned, there is a delay in updating the usage through My Vodafone, however this is to ensure that we provide the most accurate information to you. Are you able to let me k now if there are errors when checking your balance through My Vodafone too?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Nick

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Dumboy

by Occasional Poster
Message 8 of 14 (14,152 Views)
Nick, I can confirm that the account balance is reported the same on both My Vodafone and 1512.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
Dumboy

by Occasional Poster
Message 9 of 14 (14,151 Views)
I.e. both inaccurate
Please use plain text.
Help and Support
James

Message 10 of 14 (14,134 Views)

Hi Dumboy,

I appreciate you providing that information for me. I would like to investigate your case further to give you an accurate reading of your usage and get this issue resolved.

To do so, I will need to bring this conversation private to access your account. I will send you a PM with instructions on how to send your information through, and you can access your PM's by clicking this link.

I look forward to our future conversations.

Kind Regards,

James. 

Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 3y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 6 Contributors
Announcements
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?