#challenge 930 - testing out the Lumia 930

Tethering Nexus S to Macbook does not establish connection to the internet

Occasional Poster
v5point0

Tethering Nexus S to Macbook does not establish connection to the internet

by Occasional Poster
Message 1 of 11 (2,229 Views)

I am not getting any luck tethering Nexus S 2.3.4 on Vodafone Australia to a Macbook OS X 10.6.8 - Customer service wasn't helpful (reference number 1-6fxpjka) and referred me to Samsung. I don't think Samsung can do anything for me.

This is the situation, a network can be created on the Nexus S, and the Macbook can detect and connect to it - however when attempting to browse a page it results in no connection error in a browser. Which means, no connection is established with the internet.

Could someone kindly help me or provide me with more advice on how I can get around this?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

V

Please use plain text.
Community Expert
xyzulu

Re: Tethering Nexus S to Macbook does not establish connection to the internet

[ Edited ]
by Community Expert Community Expert
Message 2 of 11 (2,043 Views)

This is a Vodafone network configuration issue that causes this behaviour. Despite me providing Vodafone with all the details they requested, they do not appear to be interested in resolving or even looking into it. It's obvious they have not passed on ANY information about this issue, or how to resolve it, that has been shared with them in this forum to their customer support either.

That being said, I have found a solution that works 100% of the time for me. See: http://community.vodafone.com.au/t5/iPhone-and-Android/nexus-s-wifi-tethering-3g-dropping-out/m-p/24...

Be sure to read the responses from Vodafone after that post I linked to above as well.

Shame on Vodafone.. as this is clearly a network configuration issue with their live.vodafone APN, but they don't appear interested in providing the features such as Nexus S Wifi Hotspot that they advertise to their customers out of the box.

My offer to Vodafone still stands though, I'm happy to help them troubleshoot this issue. I've provided them all the details they need to contact me.

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Help and Support
Jen

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 3 of 11 (2,021 Views)

v5point0 wrote:

I am not getting any luck tethering Nexus S 2.3.4 on Vodafone Australia to a Macbook OS X 10.6.8 - Customer service wasn't helpful (reference number 1-6fxpjka) and referred me to Samsung. I don't think Samsung can do anything for me.

This is the situation, a network can be created on the Nexus S, and the Macbook can detect and connect to it - however when attempting to browse a page it results in no connection error in a browser. Which means, no connection is established with the internet.

Could someone kindly help me or provide me with more advice on how I can get around this?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

V

Hi v5point0,

Thanks for your post; I can absolutely offer some advice in this situation.

How long has this been happening for you? Have you been able to tether successfully previously and now it has stopped functioning correctly? Also are you trying to access the internet directly from your handset or via another method?

When you are connected I would recommend trying to ping google.com and checking for email and loading a few different websites to confirm if all traffic isn’t coming through or if it’s just some.

I would also recommend restarting your handset before you try to tether to it, this can often help as well.

Also are you using the latest software version for your handset and what APN settings are you using?

Please let me know this information and we can proceed from there.

Regards,

Jen. 

Help and Support
"We are the Knights who say...Ni"

Community Guidelines  Vodafone Coverage Checker

Please use plain text.
Community Expert
xyzulu

by Community Expert Community Expert
Message 4 of 11 (2,012 Views)

Jen, I have supplied all information Vodafone has requested of me to help troubleshoot this issue, please see: http://community.vodafone.com.au/t5/iPhone-and-Android/nexus-s-wifi-tethering-3g-dropping-out/m-p/24...

I'm still waiting for someone from Vodafone to contact me. Bart claimed in the thread above: "Thanks for providing the information so far. We've passed on all the relevant information to our network engineers.".... yet no further information has been provided to me, or o the public on this issue since then.. is it your network engineers that don't care about your customers? Or are the customer support people who send us round and round and deny any knowledge of issues such as this to blame? 

Why would you ask the thread starter to perform the same generic troubleshooting steps when you *should* be aware of this issue, as should your network engineers? Can you see how that is frustrating to your customers, not only those that are members of this forum, but those looking on?

I keep hoping I'll come across somsone who cares at Vodafone one day.. someone who'll acknowledge there is a problem, and actually work to resolve it in a reasonable length of time... 

I really am sorry for the "direct" reply.. but I can't keep watching such poor customer service without at least trying politely to draw it to someone's attention.. maybe, just maybe... you're the someone that might care. We'll see...

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Gemma

Message 5 of 11 (2,003 Views)

xyzulu wrote:

Jen, I have supplied all information Vodafone has requested of me to help troubleshoot this issue, please see: http://community.vodafone.com.au/t5/iPhone-and-Android/nexus-s-wifi-tethering-3g-dropping-out/m-p/24...

I'm still waiting for someone from Vodafone to contact me. Bart claimed in the thread above: "Thanks for providing the information so far. We've passed on all the relevant information to our network engineers.".... yet no further information has been provided to me, or o the public on this issue since then.. is it your network engineers that don't care about your customers? Or are the customer support people who send us round and round and deny any knowledge of issues such as this to blame? 

Why would you ask the thread starter to perform the same generic troubleshooting steps when you *should* be aware of this issue, as should your network engineers? Can you see how that is frustrating to your customers, not only those that are members of this forum, but those looking on?

I keep hoping I'll come across somsone who cares at Vodafone one day.. someone who'll acknowledge there is a problem, and actually work to resolve it in a reasonable length of time... 

I really am sorry for the "direct" reply.. but I can't keep watching such poor customer service without at least trying politely to draw it to someone's attention.. maybe, just maybe... you're the someone that might care. We'll see...

Hi Brad, 

Thankyou very much for your post and for supplying us with the troubleshooting information, it is much appreciated. As Bart has advised we have passed on all of the relevant information to our Network Engineers for further investigation.

I can certainly appreciate that this may be a frustrating experience and thankyou for your patience whilst this is being investigated. I will ensure that we let you know as soon as we receive any further information or updates. 

Thanks,
Gemma  

Help and Support

"Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world."

Community Guidelines  Troubleshooting Guide

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
v5point0

by Occasional Poster
Message 6 of 11 (1,996 Views)

Thank you for your post Brad, as you have mentioned - I suspected this was a network issue instead of a hardware or software one.

However I had no luck no luck with the APN settings from user rx350 @ http://community.vodafone.com.au/t5/iPhone-and-Android/Samsung-Galaxy-S-II-Internet-Problems/m-p/243...

I copied it word for word and digit to digit.

Thank you.

VJ

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
v5point0

[ Edited ]
by Occasional Poster
Message 7 of 11 (1,994 Views)

Hi Jen, thank you for offering support for this issue. 

How long has this been happening for you?

Ever since I got the Nexus S, for the past one month plus now. 

Have you been able to tether successfully previously and now it has stopped functioning correctly?

No, I have never been able to tether using the Nexus S on Vodafone, I have not tried it on another network but I suspect it would work.

Also are you trying to access the internet directly from your handset or via another method?

I am trying to access the internet via my computer which is tethered to the mobile phone, thus the mobile phone is supplying the data connection - theoretically speaking.

When you are connected I would recommend trying to ping google.com and checking for email and loading a few different websites to confirm if all traffic isn’t coming through or if it’s just some?

i have tried performing a Google search and opening a few websites and checking the sent packets but there are no activity. The browser shows the loading swirl but it results in a error after that.

I would also recommend restarting your handset before you try to tether to it, this can often help as well?

I have tried restarting both the handset and the computer

Also are you using the latest software version for your handset and what APN settings are you using?

Yes, Android 2.3.4 and Mac OS X 10.6.8 for my computer.

APN Settings are Default - Obtained by resetting to default settings within APN Menu

Name: Vodafone AU

APN: live.vodafone.com

MMS: http://pxt.vodafone.net.au/pxtsend

MMS Proxy: 10.202.2.60

MMS Port: 8080

MCC: 505

MNC: 03

APN Type: default,supl,mms

APN Protocol: IPv4

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Help and Support
Jen

Re: Tethering Nexus S to Macbook does not establish connection to the Internet

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 11 (1,955 Views)

v5point0 wrote:

Hi Jen, thank you for offering support for this issue. 

How long has this been happening for you?

Ever since I got the Nexus S, for the past one month plus now. 

Have you been able to tether successfully previously and now it has stopped functioning correctly?

No, I have never been able to tether using the Nexus S on Vodafone, I have not tried it on another network but I suspect it would work.

Also are you trying to access the internet directly from your handset or via another method?

I am trying to access the internet via my computer which is tethered to the mobile phone, thus the mobile phone is supplying the data connection - theoretically speaking.

When you are connected I would recommend trying to ping google.com and checking for email and loading a few different websites to confirm if all traffic isn’t coming through or if it’s just some?

i have tried performing a Google search and opening a few websites and checking the sent packets but there are no activity. The browser shows the loading swirl but it results in a error after that.

I would also recommend restarting your handset before you try to tether to it, this can often help as well?

I have tried restarting both the handset and the computer

Yes, Android 2.3.4 and Mac OS X 10.6.8 for my computer.

APN Settings are Default - Obtained by resetting to default settings within APN Menu

Name: Vodafone AU

APN: live.vodafone.com

MMS: http://pxt.vodafone.net.au/pxtsend

MMS Proxy: 10.202.2.60

MMS Port: 8080

MCC: 505

MNC: 03

APN Type: default,supl,mms

APN Protocol: IPv4

Hi V5point0, 

Thank you for letting me know this information, it's really appreciated and you have gone into some detail which is a wonderful help. 

After assessment of your settings we can see that they are all exactly right, which although good does not give us a direct answer to why you are experiencing difficulties. 

We have then tried to replicate this exact issue for you and have not been able to and our connection has worked successfully from multiple Macbooks and in different areas.  

I may need to escalate this further for you and PM you my contact details so we can assess your account further in private, first however I would just like to confirm that your data from your handset is working correctly without  using a WiFi connection?

If you are having issues with Data on your phone this could identify the issue.

Please let me know this information and we'll proceed to escalate futher from there if necessary.

Regards,

Jen.  

Help and Support

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
v5point0

by Occasional Poster
Message 9 of 11 (1,945 Views)
Hi Jen,

Thank you for troubleshooting this issue - I can confirm that 3G data is working fine on my mobile as I predominantly use my phone with WiFi turned off.

Could this be a hardware issue? As it would appear so and there have been posts about it albeit on different phone models but still from the same company.

Thank you
Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Help and Support
Jen

Message 10 of 11 (1,937 Views)

Hi V5point0, 

I’m glad that 3G is working correctly on your mobile, however it certainly leaves the questions standing of what is happening when you try to tether to you Macbook.

I think we absolutely need to escalate this further for you and look at it all in depth, to do this we will need to continue in private.

Would you please be able to send an email to online.help@vodafone.com.au with 590CJNGI in the subject, and put your mobile number, account pin and a link to your thread on the Community in the body of the message?

If you are able to also let me know once you have emailed me that would be excellent and I’ll look into this as soon as possible for you and reply via email.

Thanks again for being so patient, I’m looking forward to getting to the bottom of this one.

Regards,

Jen. 

Help and Support

Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 3y ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 4 Contributors
Announcements