22-05-2012 02:45 PM
Couple of weeks ago I have upgraded my SGS2 to ICS. Some minor issues and things to get used to, but there is one bug which bothers me. I got used to using Swype and previous OS version allowed me to change langauage almost on the go - all I had to do is touch the "Globe" key and pick secondary language. The only option for Swype ICS is English, Samsung Keyboard allows selection of multiple langauges...
To make things stranger, when reseaching the problem I went to Voda UK forum and they have full range of languages - what is going on here? Is there any way of adding languages to Swype settings?
Solved! Go to Solution
22-05-2012 03:28 PM
I think you have to select the languages you want to use from a list. In messages, hold the Swype button down until the Swype settings open, then go into Language setting and tick all the languages you want to be able to select. From there, go back to the messages and those languages should be available from the Globe button
22-05-2012 04:39 PM
I have tried it - does not work. Under Swype "Languages options" there is no option to pick or download other language. The only choice is "English" which is grayed out. When "Change language" is selected, again English is the only option. Pressing and holding "Globe" button launches "Change current langauage" option and again English is the only choice.
22-05-2012 08:17 PM
Yeah. I was fiddling with a friends S2 too and they didn't have it (the update i put on my Note did). They are with telstra. Seems like samsung didn't feel that australia is multi-cultural
22-05-2012 08:47 PM
22-05-2012 09:01 PM
I think it is more of a Samsung/Australia thing because the telstra update was the same. The update i put in my Note was from Taiwan. I'll have a look around and get back to you
22-05-2012 09:12 PM - edited 22-05-2012 09:25 PM
Ok try following the steps from the link below
I recommend disabiling the Swype on your phone first and then installing this one. Apparently if you already have swype this will not work so hopefully disabling it will work around it.
If this does not work it might be time to try another keyboard. If the actual Swype function is something you don't use, something like TouchPal Keyboard or SlideIT soft keyboard and download the languages you want.
Personally i only use swype, not because of the swype fuction, but because it has all the characters without having to toggle all the time.
23-05-2012 10:43 PM
In terms of ICS, might get an update every four months or so and maybe an update to JellyBean but that will only happen once given samsung's history. On top of this, Vodafone has to approve it, even if there is an update, Vodafoe won't always push it through.
I would asume that the next update would fix it as i have seen a few topics on the same issue. Samsung are creating an app soon just for Samsung phones. You can ask a question about your phone and samsung will send you the answer through the app. Hopefully that somes some time soon
25-05-2012 07:58 AM
I work on the Swype team and handle some outreach within various Android online communities. A few things to say:
1. Thanks for your interest in Swype!
2. It is highly recommended that you do not install the Swype Beta alongside the pre-installed, full version of Swype. Doing so will cause conflicts in the software and will result in various force close events.
3. Language downloads are not currently available in market releases of Swype.
4. The Swype Beta program is just that: a software beta. Please see here for more on what that means. Basically, this means that we release Swype Beta to the public free of charge, but it is not a complete version of the software and will likely have more bugs that will not be fixed in the same cycle as our regular releases to OEM partners.
5. Swype's business model at this point in time is to partner with OEMs for pre-install of the Swype keybaord. It is not to offer Swype via appliation download on Google Play, Amazon app market, etc.
I hope this has cleared some things up.