Samsung galaxy s3 antenna issue

Occasional Poster
mat88

Samsung galaxy s3 antenna issue

by Occasional Poster
Message 1 of 9 (2,875 Views)
I have owned many smart phones over the years and now using a galaxy s3 I love the phone but have noticed the handset does not seem to pick up the strongest network frequency like my iPhone 4s did it will in places that I had full reception before I will get only one bar so after doing some research on the issue I have come across forums in the state's where people have had the same problems and after having a Look at whirlpool forums the issue has come up in Australia with users of the s3 and that the device is not a Telstra blue tick handset for rural coverage so maybe it's a problem with the antenna modules that Samsung are using any one else noticed this issue.
Please use plain text.
Android Enthusiast
Ahmato

Re: Samsung galaxy s3 antenna issue

by Android Enthusiast Android Enthusiast
Message 2 of 9 (2,861 Views)
Mine seems to be fine.
Thought I was helpful? Click the Star :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Kirsty

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 3 of 9 (2,821 Views)

Hi mat88,

mat88 wrote:
I have owned many smart phones over the years and now using a galaxy s3 I love the phone but have noticed the handset does not seem to pick up the strongest network frequency

If your phone's not working as it should I'd love to run through some troubleshooting with you to work out why. The first thing I'd like you to do is a factory reset. This will iron out any little glitches that have developed in your phone. It will also erase all content on your phone, so make sure you back up first!

There's great step by step instructions to reset your Samsung GALAXY SIII on our website here, to help.

I'd also like you to update your software via KIES. Updating via KIES reinstalls the full software on your phone, rather than updating it like an over the air update does. You're able to download KIES here.

If you're phone is still not working as it should after you restore and update the software, the next step is to take the handset into a store for assessment. We'll need your proof of purchase for us to assess the phone, and if you're anything like me you lost that long ago! You're able to request a new copy by following the instructions here

Let me know if you have any questions about requesting your proof of purchase!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
mat88

by Occasional Poster
Message 4 of 9 (2,810 Views)
Thanks for your response I'll give that a whirl and see how I go hope it works.
Please use plain text.
Ausdroid
philtann

by Ausdroid Ausdroid
Message 5 of 9 (2,760 Views)

Obviously you were holding your 4S right if you were getting full signal!  ;-)

Have you run an signal analyzer app to find out if there's a reson that the phone isn't connecting to the strongest signal?

Phil Tann
Writer - Ausdroid
www.ausdroid.net
Please use plain text.
Community Lead
Roger

by Community Lead Community Lead
Message 6 of 9 (2,749 Views)
Unfortunately signal strength apps dont work for the s3. This is due to the way the signal strength data works with the api on the s3 and s2.
That has to be the only gripe i have with the s3 and s2 so im left to use codes for test mode: still effective but it would be nice to have it running in a app.
Samsung Android Device Fiddler
VF customer since 1997
NFC tagger!
Please use plain text.
Community Lead
Roger

Message 7 of 9 (496 Views)
Unfortunately discussion of modifications to you're handset are not permitted here in this forum and you have now most certainly voided you're warranty by doing what you have done to your handset. The other thing its a little hard to support you with your handset whilst in another country.
This is the Vodafone Australia Community forum for assisting Vodafone Australia customers. If theres something we can assist with relating to roaming or Vodafone Australia were here to help.
VF customer since 1997
NFC tagger!
Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
SilverBeast

by SilverBeast Frequent Visitor
Message 8 of 9 (458 Views)

If you can't answer the following simply question for me and the Vodafone customers.

1. How do I determine if the galaxy S3 is using the internal antennae or the external antennae?

Then this forum is pretty much useless. There are probably Vodafone customers who would like to know that answer as well.

Phone is past the warranty stage from my Carrier anyways so their was no warranty to void.  Its not hard to support it in a different country.  There is basically 1 simple question to answer and most likely some of your Vodafone customers would like that answer as well.

Please use plain text.
Community Lead
Roger

Message 9 of 9 (450 Views)
@SilverBeast
Ill help you answer your second round of questions.
In answer to question 1
Your phone will always use the antenna thats built into the device itself. There is no external antenna. Whilst there are ports on the back of the antenna to for repair and maintenance they are not designed for constant use.
As for the forum being useless well I'm happy to help with things we are permitted to discuss here. Your previous post relating to loading other versions of firmware is not permitted to be discussed here.

VF customer since 1997
NFC tagger!
Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 6 Contributors
Announcements
GALAXY S5 - Live blog tonight