Occasional Visitor
rdc001
Accepted Solution

Phone stuck on Emergency Calls Only???

[ Edited ]
by rdc001 Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 16 (61,777 Views)

Hi there,

I have a Galaxy SII that I have been unable to use since Saturday evening. The phone simply says Emergency Calls Only and if I do try and call someone, it says Mobile Network Not Available. Given that I couldn't see anything on your notifications page stating that the system was down or has been for awhile, I am assuming the problem lies in the phone itself. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Cheers

Roslyn

Please use plain text.
Problem Solver
Grumpyoldgreek

Re: Phone stuck on Emergency Calls Only???

by Problem Solver
Message 2 of 16 (61,634 Views)

HI Roslyn,

couple of queries to try and help you

where are you? state and postcode - when you checked was there anyting at all in your state? and did it say resolved or completed?

and have you switched the ph off and then back on to force your phone to reset back onto the network? if there has been an outage and now fixed, and you havent ever had your phone off the SIM "stalls' and doesnt reset to the network on some occasions.

just a couple of things to assist if possible if you have done the above then the support guys here will be able to take it further for you

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
rdc001

by rdc001 Occasional Visitor
Message 3 of 16 (61,622 Views)

Thanks for the tips. Turning the phone off and on again seems to have solved the problem for me.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Regular Poster
Hinee

by Regular Poster
Message 4 of 16 (61,617 Views)

coming from someone who works in IT, if anything ever goes wrong with it, no matter how silly it sounds, turn it off and on again. fixes a ridiculous amount of problems.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Glenn_B

by Glenn_B Visitor
Message 5 of 16 (61,115 Views)

Hi,

I had the same issue last night and I did turn my phone off and back on but problem wasn't fix. I searched it on Google and I found a very helpful advise from this link http://www.phoneforum.com/forums/general-phone-forum/4663.htm and my problem was resolved after doing the manual network selection.

I just want to share this in case some other people will experiece the same problem.

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Caitlin

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 6 of 16 (61,087 Views)

Hi Glenn_B,

Glenn_B wrote:

I had the same issue last night and I did turn my phone off and back on but problem wasn't fix. I searched it on Google and I found a very helpful advise from this link http://www.phoneforum.com/forums/general-phone-forum/4663.htm and my problem was resolved after doing the manual network selection.

It's great to hear you've found a fix, what you've done definitely helps rule our any issues! Please bear in mind that Vodafone do provide multiple networks such as 2G, 3G 900Mhz, 2100MHz and 850MHz. Manually selecting the network and connecting to one network may limit you, especially when going out of range for the network you've selected or where there may be a network issue as your phone won't automatically switch to the next best network.

If you find that you need to manually select a network to prevent your phone from displaying "Emergency Calls Only", there may be an issue with your device or the network where you are and I would love to have look into this for you. Could you please provide some further details such as your postcode and suburb, when did this start to occur and how long has it been an issue? Does this happen anywhere you are?

Cheers,

Cait

P.S Thanks for the link! 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Saramabel26

by Saramabel26 Occasional Visitor
Message 7 of 16 (60,608 Views)

I am finding it happening with my Nokia N9 quite frequently regardless of where i am in busy Gold Coast CBDs... turning on and off doesnt usually work altho i always try 2 -3 times. Have had more success with connecting phone direclty to internet and downloading updated software. It isnt right that it happens in the middle of phone calls, let alone in the middle of major network areas...

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Bruno

Message 8 of 16 (60,580 Views)

Hi Saramabel26,

Saramabel26 wrote:

I am finding it happening with my Nokia N9 quite frequently regardless of where i am in busy Gold Coast CBDs... turning on and off doesnt usually work altho i always try 2 -3 times. Have had more success with connecting phone direclty to internet and downloading updated software. It isnt right that it happens in the middle of phone calls, let alone in the middle of major network areas...

I'd really like to look into this in more detail for you, can you please let me know the post codes for some of the areas that you're having this issue? That way, I can check for any nearby outages or work that may be affecting your service.

If power-cycling your phone isn't helping to restore your network connection, it may also be an issue with your SIM card or handset. How long have you been using your current SIM card? If it is a fairly old sim card, the connection points may have worn, causing intermittent drops in signal. A simple way to test your SIM, is to put it in another handset to see if the same issue occurs. If it does, we can fix the issue by doing a SIM swap (this is free to do in any Vodafone store).

If the handset is the issue, then we will need to have it assessed for repairs at your nearest Vodafone store. I've included a link to our store locator for you here to help you find one easily. You can also pre-book your handset in (and track the progress of your repair) via our online service centre, which also has some handy information about the repair process. I've included a link to if for you right here.

Keep me posted on how you go with the isolation testing and if you have any other questions, please let me know.

Cheers,

-Bruno.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
anithjazz

by anithjazz Occasional Visitor
Message 9 of 16 (54,442 Views)

Hi,

I brought a Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 days before and I am using a Vodafone Post Paid Sim. Since yesterday the phone is showing 'Emergency Calls Only' and thus not able to receive or make any calls. I inserted sim in another mobile and it is working properly and showing connection. I switched OFF my mobile and reinserted the sim many times, but still the same problem. So is it problem with the new mobile which I took?

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Alana

Message 10 of 16 (54,370 Views)

Hi anithjazz,

anithjazz wrote:

Since yesterday the phone is showing 'Emergency Calls Only' and thus not able to receive or make any calls. I inserted sim in another mobile and it is working properly and showing connection. I switched OFF my mobile and reinserted the sim many times, but still the same problem. So is it problem with the new mobile which I took?

Getting a brand new phone is definitely exciting so if you're having difficulties using your phone we need to get this addressed quickly for you.

Testing your SIM in another phone is a key way to identify if it's the phone or the SIM that seems to be causing the problems.  At this stage have you tried putting a different SIM into your new phone?  If it doesn't work this will give a clear indication that the phone may be the culprit.

In this instance I recommend heading back to where you purchased the phone and discuss with the situation with the store.

Let us know how you go and if you have any further questions in the mean time.  We're always here to help.

Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 15 Contributors
Announcements
GALAXY S5 - Live blog tonight