#challenge930 - join in as our experts put the 930 through it's paces

Ice Cream Sandwich on the Nexus S

Occasional Visitor
payne_06

Ice Cream Sandwich on the Nexus S

by payne_06 Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 22 (4,006 Views)

Just curious as to whether Vodafone will push the Android 4.0 UMTS OTA update for the Nexus S (which came out today) straight away or whether there will be a delay. Google are progressively rolling it out over the next month in the US so I was wondering if there would be much of a delay here or not.

Cheers :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Habitual Poster
dalv_k

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich on the Nexus S

[ Edited ]
by Habitual Poster
Message 2 of 22 (3,794 Views)

payne_06 wrote:

Just curious as to whether Vodafone will push the Android 4.0 UMTS OTA update for the Nexus S (which came out today) straight away or whether there will be a delay. Google are progressively rolling it out over the next month in the US so I was wondering if there would be much of a delay here or not.

Cheers :smileyhappy:

ICS has already started rolling out for Nexus S, as it is a google stock phone you should get it within the next few weeks. My friend already received it overnight, try do a manual check for update or switch your phone off and back on. 

Hope this helps

Please use plain text.
Occasional Genius
raihan

by Occasional Genius
Message 3 of 22 (3,787 Views)

I have updated it yesterday (manually) and enjoying the changes :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Caitlin

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 4 of 22 (3,638 Views)

Hi payne_06,

At this time we have rolled Android 2.3.6 for the Samsung Nexus S. You can definitely keep updated through our Vodafone Blog for any future software updates.

Thanks,

Cait

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
asdinnie

by asdinnie Regular Visitor
Message 5 of 22 (3,514 Views)

Hi All.

My phone (Nexus S) this am had the ICS update available for it when I first looked at it.

It also said that its best to load it using WiFi as it was > 100MB.

So no problem, went back a screen, waited until I got into work.

Looking at my phone now, going into Settings | About Phone | System Updates, it tells me its up-to-date.  

Yet its running 2.3.6 still.

I switched the handset off and on.  Still no joy.

Is there a way I can force the phone to look for this update again?

Else is there a safe location that I can download this firmware and do an update from that?

Many thanks

Andy

Please use plain text.
Regular Poster
nuddle

by Regular Poster
Message 6 of 22 (3,481 Views)
Mine has gone too, am on holidays at the moment, wanted to update when I get home, but it has dissapeared. How do I get it back?
Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Nick

Message 7 of 22 (3,334 Views)

Hey Andy,

The current version of Android available for the Nexus S is 2.3.6. This is mentioned in the Device software wrap up on our blog here.

We don't currently have any information available regarding Ice Cream Sandwich, but when we do, it will be posted on our blog.

Cheers,

Nick

Please use plain text.
Occasional Genius
raihan

by Occasional Genius
Message 8 of 22 (3,331 Views)
This explains what happened to you guys ...

If you received an update notification a little while ago but the update isn't currently available for your phone, this is likely the result of Google pausing the update in your area while we monitor feedback. The Android 4.0 update is continuing to roll out around the world so your phone will receive another update notification when it's available again in your region.

Source: Engadget
Please use plain text.
Seasoned Member
meanz

[ Edited ]
by meanz Seasoned Member
Message 9 of 22 (2,426 Views)

Why doesn't my Nexus S even give me the option to check for updates? It just always says "your system is up to date" it does not do a search like the HTC devices? and i am only running android 2.3.3 not 2.3.6, why is that?

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Kirsty

Message 10 of 22 (2,330 Views)

Hi meanz,

How are you checking for the update? Are you following the steps outlined on our Blog:

To update your Nexus S to Android 2.3.6 follow these instructions:

• Go Into your settings of your smartphone
  • Scroll down to ‘About phone’
  • Then select ‘System updates’

Did you purchase your handset from Vodafone? If you did, you definitely should be able to update it to 2.3.6. If there are no system updates when your run through the above steps, and you're not running 2.3.6, I would suggest doing a factory reset of your handset, before updating the software again.

This will erase all the content on your phone, so please make sure you back up and remove any SD cards before taking this step.

If you're still not able to update the software after the full factory reset, your handset may need to be assessed. Any Vodafone Store can help with this - but if you let me know where you are, I will be able to tell you where your nearest Service Centre is, so you can take it in directly if you're close. You're able to book the phone into the Service Centre online, which will save you some time when you get there!

Thanks,

Kirsty.

Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 18 Contributors
Announcements
What's happening with Windows Phone? These guys will let you know...